The Vanguard 10x42 Spirit ED Binocular is their lightest roof prism model with fully multicoated ED glass lenses. The rubber armored housing comes in at an impressive ~1.3 lbs (600g), but doesn't skimp at all upon the optics. This is the choice for someone who values low weight and high optical quality over a more metal-based housing which weighs more but can be knocked around a bit.
Unlike a hunter's binocular, Vanguard has given the Spirit multicoatings which target the green color spectrum, for enhanced nature observation. The waterproof and fogproof Spirit has moisture-dispersing external coatings which help to shed precipitation quickly.
As a 10x42, this Spirit binocular provides a high degree of magnification in a relatively compact device. The 6° viewing angle is comfortably wide enough for distant scanning of shorebirds and unapproachable wildlife, and the eye relief of 16mm allows most users a view of the binocular's entire field.
- Fully multicoated ED glass lenses with Emerald coatings to render full spectrum of color within green tones (essential for nature observation)
- HydroGuard external hydrophobic coating upon objectives allows easier cleaning, dust/dirt resistance, and better observation in wet weather conditions
- V-Max Silver coating upon P2 phase-coated BaK4 prisms for high reflectivity
- Twist-up eyecups simplify sharing unit
- Rubber-armored lightweight housing
- Discreet dark green finish innocuous to birds and most wildlife