The Giottos MTL 9240B-5011SB Tripod is a compact class 4-section aluminum model paired together with a small 3-way pan/tilt head. It shares much of Giottos' feature set that is unique to their MTL class of aluminum models. With 22/19/16/13mm segments, the MTL 9240B-5011SB is made for use with consumer-class SLR cameras with short telephoto lenses, such as an 18-100mm type lens.
There's not too much in the world of tripods that Giottos doesn't think to incorporate into their best models such as this MTL 9240B-5011SB. It has foam padded upper segments, a bubble level right at the neck of the unit as well as a 3-way level at the quick release assembly, flip-lock levers which can be attended to in the field if needed, and an included tool kit which has a special short column attachment that allows an impressive minimum operating height. The MH 5011SB 3-way head has distinct locks for each axis of movement, with a 'snap-in' quick release system.
All together, this tripod/head combination weighs just 3.23 pounds and collapses to just under 23" (58.2cm), so it can comfortably live on the outside of a backpack. Its working height is 50.9", so it isn't too much of a 'crouch-down' compromise in the world of travel tripods.
- Compact, aluminum alloy tripod with 22mm maximum leg segments and a 3-way pan/tilt head with quick release
- Giottos' trademark "Qel" flip lever locks, which can be disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled in the field if necessary
- Foam-padded upper leg segments ease handling in cold and carrying upon shoulder
- Spirit bubble levels (a circular atop tripod crown and a 3-way level at base of the quick release adapter) help level both legs and base of camera
- Compact quick release plate with standard 1/4"-20 camera screw and an anti-twist video register pin
- Individual leg angle locks and detachable center column decrease minimum working height
- Rounded rubber leg tips
- Weight hook at bottom of center column aids stability (must hang you camera bag or other heavy item from it)