A medium format SLR camera for the discerning user, the Rollei Hy6 was developed in Germany with full cooperation of premium digital back manufacturers, and is at home with either film or digital capture. The "Hy" stands for 'hybrid', and the Hy6 was designed with the future thinking that 48 x 48mm digital backs would one day be obsolete. Indeed, there are now 56 x 56mm backs, and this size cannot be incorporated into the bodies of competing popular Japanese-made medium format SLR cameras. The Hy6 is the only modern AF medium-format SLR which can accept this larger size.
Beyond the bigger format advantage potential, the Hy6 has plenty to offer everyone. It uses Rollei's legendary Schneider lenses, accepting either the autofocus or manual focus versions alike with the only change in operation being the focusing itself. It is a leaf shutter system, with no restrictions on the flash speed that you choose to use in daylight. The lenses incorporate a high-carbon shutter with speeds from 1/1000th to 32 seconds + bulb, and you can have TTL flash exposure with any speed thanks to the Metz SCA system (requires Rollei SCA adapter and Metz SCA system flash).
The viewfinder of the Hy6 is much the same as all the Rollei SLRs of late-known for its great brightness but also having all of the relevant information in a waist-level finder design. An optional eye-level prism finder is also available. The Hy6's responsive autofocus and 3 metering modes make it an ideal location camera for working professionals, and its superior internal clear paths set the stage for capture with 56mm square imaging backs from Jenoptik/Sinar and others.
- Accepts all Rollei 6008 series lenses, both manual and autofocus
- Cross-type autofocus sensor
- A true cross-platform medium format SLR camera body
- Interchangeable viewfinder and focusing screens
- Comfortable control grip
- Mirror lock-up
- Aperture-priority, shutter-priority, full programmed AE, and manual exposure
- Incorporates TTL systems from Metz with SCA 3562 adapter
- Long-lasting lithium-ion battery provides all functions and eliminates need to move hands for film advance
- Superior film flatness from the film-flattening plate
- Made in Germany