The Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Digital Single Lens Reflex Camera delivers ultra-fine quality with a full frame (24 x 36mm) Exmor™ 24.6MP CMOS sensor and dual BIONZ™ image processors that aid in fast shooting response. The sensor's high pixel count and large size provide enhanced image detail and a wider dynamic range for natural color reproduction and tonal gradations.
The A850 boasts two-stage noise reduction to deliver pictures with high levels of sharpness and minimal noise levels, ensuring image quality even at sensitivity settings up to a maximum ISO 6400. It incorporates the SteadyShot INSIDE™ in-camera image stabilizer which moves the image sensor to compensate for camera shake resulting in clearer images under a broad range of lighting conditions.
The A850 is equipped with a 9-point AF system backed up by 10 focus-assist points for sharp images and efficient subject tracking. It also has a dedicated F2.8 sensor for enhanced auto focus accuracy with wide aperture lenses. A 40-segment multi-pattern metering system provides precise exposure control for a wide range of lighting situations.
Multiple levels of Dynamic Range Optimization are built-in: Standard mode, to improve shadow detail; Advanced Auto mode, which selects any of 5 DRO correction levels; or DRO Advanced Bracketing, which automatically captures 3 images at different dynamic range levels.
The A850 is built with dual card slots that accept both CompactFlash and Memory Stick Duo Media (sold separately). The body of the A850 is weather sealed and is encased in a die-cast magnesium alloy shell, providing a rugged feel and weight of 1 lb-14oz. A supplied InfoLITHIUM® rechargeable lithium-ion battery (NP-FM500H) will power the capture of approximately 880 images on a full charge.
- Full Frame 24.6MP Exmor™ CMOS Image Sensor
- The A850 features a 35mm full frame (24 x 36mm) Exmor™ CMOS image sensor that is approximately 2.35x larger than the APS-C sized sensors. The result is a larger capture area, improved wide angle performance, and tighter depth of field control.
- SteadyShot INSIDE™ In-Camera Image Stabilization
- The SteadyShot INSIDE™ in-camera image stabilizer a shifts the image sensor to compensate for camera shake without sacrificing image quality. The compensation effect is equal to as many as four shutter speed steps. Because it is integrated into the camera body, SteadyShot INSIDE™ technology works with all compatible Alpha (α) system lenses.
- Dual BIONZ™ Processors
- Dual BIONZ™ image processing engines deliver true-to-life images with ultra-low noise and continuous shooting at speeds up to 3 fps.
- Glass Pentaprism Viewfinder
- A large pentaprism viewfinder provides clarity and tight focus control. In addition, it offers viewfinder magnification of 0.74x, showing an image nearer to its actual size, and a 98% field coverage for detailed picture composition.
- Intelligent Preview Function
- The Intelligent Preview function allows users to see the effects of manual adjustments to exposure value, shutter speed, aperture, Dynamic Range Optimizer and White Balance before the shot is taken, so optimum settings can be made with less trial and error.
- 9-Point Autofocus System
- The A850 features a 9-focus point (center, dual-cross type) and 10 assist points to deliver fast and precise focusing.
- 3.0" Xtra Fine LCD™ Display
- View images in detail on the 3.0" Xtra Fine LCD™ display (921k pixels). With photo-quality resolution of 270ppi (pixels per inch) focus and exposure adjustments can require less time and more accuracy.
- Shutter Speeds Up To 1/8000 Sec
- The shutter mechanism in the A850 is designed to achieve shutter speeds up to 1/8000 seconds and proven for 100,000 cycle operation.
- 40-Segment Metering System
- A 40-segment multi-pattern metering system provides superior exposure control accuracy in a wide range of lighting conditions.
- Dual Memory Card Slots
- The A850 features dual memory card slots and accepts both CompactFlash and Memory Stick Duo Media (sold separately).
- Dynamic Range Optimization
- To recover details in dark or bright areas of the image, the A850 provides multiple levels of Dynamic Range Optimization: Standard mode, to improve shadow detail using standard gamma curves, Advanced Auto mode, allows selection any of 5 DRO correction levels, or DRO Advanced Bracketing, which automatically takes three shots at different DRO levels with a single shutter press.
- HDMI Output
The A850 provides direct HDMI™ output to BRAVIA® HDTV and other compatible HDTV screens, images can be viewed and shared in high definition. Additionally, PhotoTV HD-capable BRAVIA® HDTVs will automatically optimize display settings, such as sharpness, gradation, and color to display images in a way that more closely matches the natural look of printed photographs.
(HD viewing requires HDMI cable and HDMI compatible HDTV (both sold separately).) 1
- ISO and White Balance Buttons
- The ISO and White Balance adjustment buttons are located on the top of the camera body near the shutter button for easy thumb operation.
- Weather Sealed
- Sealed viewfinder optics and rubber gasket surrounds on all buttons, dials, and switches help resist the entry of dust and moisture into the camera, and allow for safe use in a wide range of environments.
- Body Design
- The A850 body is entirely covered in a die-cast magnesium alloy shell, providing a rugged feel and light weight.
- Anti-Dust Technology
- It utilizes both static-free anti-dust coating on the imager's filter and anti-dust vibration that automatically shakes the sensor to dislodge dust each time the camera is shut off.
- 880 Shots Per Battery Charge
- A supplied InfoLITHIUM® rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides long-lasting performance, capturing up to approximately 880 images on a single charge. 2
- Analog-to-Digital Signal Conversion
- Analog-to-digital signal conversion is performed by the full frame Exmor™ CMOS image sensor.
- Noise Reduction
- The full frame Exmor™ CMOS image sensor performs both analog and digital noise reduction. This on-chip dual noise reduction process aids in the high speed transfer of noiseless digital signals.
- F/2.8 Sensor
- The autofocus system in the A850 features a highly accurate F2.8 sensor for improved focus precision when using lenses faster than F2.8.
- RAW File Processing
Image Data Converter SR3.1 software improves your workflow with faster RAW file processing and improved image correction.
(Requires Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional SP4, Windows XP SP2, or Windows Vista. Not supported by Mac OS)
In addition to full frame image capture, the A850 can also crop images to the APS-C size format, allowing the use of lenses designed specifically for APS-C sized image sensors.
(When a DT lens is mounted, images are automatically cropped to the APS-C size, regardless of the APS-C size capture setting. Using a DT lens is not guaranteed because the corners of the field are darkened and the camera does not meet the primary AE performance standard. )
- Viewfinder Magnification of .74x
- Viewfinder magnification of 0.74x shows subjects nearer to actual size.
- Eyepiece Shutter
- The A850 has a built-in eyepiece shutter which can be shut to help shield against entering light and prevent exposure errors.
- AF Micro Adjustment
- AF Micro Adjustment enables fine focusing for various lenses. The A850 can store adjusted focus values for up to thirty lenses.
- Optional Focusing Screens (sold separately):
- User-replaceable focusing screens for shooting specific subject types can be purchased as optional accessories.
- Mirror Lockup Mode
- Mirror Lockup Mode raises the main mirror before exposure to reduce vibration at shutter release, resulting in better performance during long exposure shots.
- Exposure Bracketing
- The A850 can be set to bracket up to three exposures in 2.0EV-step increments.
- Rubberized Grip
- A rubberized grip enables holding of the A850 with comfort and confidence.
- Image Data Lightbox Software (included)
- Image Data Lightbox software (included) helps to browse, evaluate and compare images, making it easier to keep track of captures for further processing. 3
- Sony® Picture Motion Browser (PMB) Software
- Sony Picture Motion Browser (PMB) software provides a simple and intuitive way to sort and archive images, as well as performing common editing operations and output to data disc or the Web. 4