The Onyx 820i from Mackie is an 8-channel audio mixer with a built-in FireWire computer audio interface. It features a meticulously designed audio mixer section with flexible capabilities for both the studio and the stage. You can tap into the power of computer recording in new ways with its deep DAW integration. The fact that the 820i is fully compatible with Pro Tools M-Powered 8 software really makes it a full-featured audio tool that can adapt to any situation.
Each of the 3 mic channels on the 820i features a 3-band Perkins EQ with a sweep and a boutique-quality Onyx mic preamp, and the 2 stereo channels all feature 3-band EQ. There are 2 aux sends for monitor mixes on stage, headphone cue mixes in the studio, and for effect sends. Every one of these channels (including the aux sends and the master) can be routed through the FireWire interface into the DAW of your choice. You can even return 2 channels from your DAW back into the 820i and integrate them into your mix. For a device that easily fits in a backpack and doesn't take up very much room on a desk, the 820i packs a lot of power into a small footprint.
There are some interesting capabilities in the computer integration aspect of the 820i. If you have any good sounding effects that you use with your DAW software, you can easily integrate them into your mixes. For live sound, you can have your computer connected and route an aux send to your DAW, apply the effect in your software, and route the wet signal back into the mixer. You can record individual tracks in your DAW, and record the master mix outputs separately.
The first two channels on the Onyx 820i feature a button that transforms the input into an instrument-level DI. This is ideal for recording guitars and basses. It includes a full-featured talkback section with a built-in microphone that enables you to communicate with artists from the control room of your studio, or through monitors with musicians on stage. It's no accident that Mackie is one of the most heavily relied upon manufacturers of recording and sound reinforcement equipment, and the Onyx 820i is among the most versatile pieces of gear they've ever produced.
- 8-channel premium analog mixer with integrated 24-bit/96kHz FireWire I/O
Qualified by Mackie for use with all major production software, including:
Pro Tools M-Powered 8
Final Cut Pro
SonarFinal Cut Pro
- 3 Onyx boutique-quality mic preamps
- 3-band Perkins EQ with sweepable mids on mono channels
- 3-band Perkins EQ on stereo line channels
- Hybrid mono/stereo channel with 4-band Perkins EQ
- Flexible FireWire routing, including aux sends, groups and pre/post EQ assignment for all channels
- Stereo playback from DAW, returned to control room or into channel for integration into mix
- 2 aux sends with pre/post assignment
- Built-in DI on first two channels for direct connection of guitars, bass, etc.
- Individual 48V phantom power switches on all mic inputs
- Talkback section with built in mic and flexible routing
- "Planet Earth" switching power supply for worldwide use
- Optional rack kit available