The Saffire PRO 24 DSP from Focusrite is a FireWire audio and MIDI computer interface with 16 inputs and 8 outputs that's fully compatible with both Windows and Mac operating systems. It's designed to be a robust recording solution for home studios and mobile recording. It comes with two high quality microphone preamps, a suite of recording software (with instruments, effects, and audio loops), and an ample amount of I/0 for recording larger projects. It includes on-board digital signal processing, with a powerful "Virtual Reference Monitoring" feature.
One of the challenges often encountered when mixing is not having enough different kinds of loudspeakers and listening environments to test your mixes in. The VRM feature of the Saffire PRO 24 DSP simulates what your audio will sound like through a variety of different speakers, with mixing studio, living room, and bedroom environment simulations. It's a powerful audio tool to have when you're limited to just working with your headphones as monitors.
Focusrite has been a leader in professional audio design since the 1980's, and the Saffire PRO 24 DSP proudly carries on their tradition. Even though the Saffire PRO 24 DSP is relatively inexpensive, its audio performance and the quality of its preamplifiers are still held to stringent standards. The two FET-based preamps in the Saffire PRO 24 DSP offer low noise, low distortion, and a very transparent sound free of coloration.
The two inputs on the Saffire PRO 24 DSP can handle microphones (and provide +48V of phantom power for condenser microphones), line-level signals, and be switched to accept instrument inputs for the direct recording of guitars and basses. There are six balanced 1/4" TRS outputs on the rear for connecting studio monitors, patching multiple signals into a mixing board, etc. There are two separate 1/4" stereo headphone outputs on the front panel, with two separate volume knobs.
The Saffire PRO 24 DSP also features JetPLL, a jitter elimination technology that helps a signal maintain its sonic integrity during the digital conversion process. Focusrite's Xcite+ bundle features Ableton Live Lite (for all your production, performance and compositional needs), Novation's Bass Station soft synthesizer, the Midnight Plug-In Suite, and over 1 GB of royalty-free samples from Loopmasters.
- VRM Virtual Reference Monitoring
- Hear your mix in different environments, through different speakers and from different positions, just using headphones
- Two High Quality Award-Winning Focusrite Preamps
- Features two award-winning FET-based low noise, transparent Focusrite microphone preamps
- The interface is fully Thunderbolt compatible with the use of a simple FireWire to Thunderbolt adapter (sold separately)
- On-Board DSP-Powered Latency-Free Tracking and Mixing Tools
- Classic Focusrite EQ and Compression for tracking, as well as 'comfort' reverb to place across your monitor mixes
- High Quality 24-bit/96kHz FireWire Interface
- Features high quality A-D / D-A conversion and JetPLL jitter elimination technology; pristine audio quality and reliable synchronisation are guaranteed
- Total I/O Count of 16 Inputs and 8 Outputs
- A host of I/O options are provided, including a unique loop-back facility for routing audio between software applications via Saffire Mix Control
- Saffire Mix Control Zero-latency DSP Mixer/Router
- Routing flexibility and intuitive one-click set-up solutions; Saffire Mix Control provides an 16 x 8 DSP mixer with excellent output routing and monitoring capabilities
- Xcite+ Software Bundle
- Includes a host of royalty-free Xcite loops and samples, the Novation Bass Station soft-synth, and Ableton Live Lite (which provides an affordable upgrade path to the full version of Ableton Live)
- Focusrite VST/AU Plug-in Suite
- Upgrade your standard sequencer effects and bring a touch of class to your session with the included Focusrite FX Suite with Compression, Reverb, Gating and EQ in VST & AU plug-ins
- Front Panel 5-LED Metering
- Monitor either the main mix or cue mix via headphones, all switchable from the front panel
- Two Dedicated Front Panel Headphone Busses
- Providing two fully customised monitor mixes, with tactile level control available on the front panel
- Bus-Powered for a Tidy Mobile Recording Rig
- Saffire PRO 24 DSP is powered via FireWire, with no need for an additional power supply
- Two Hi Z Instrument Inputs
- No need for a separate DI box, because the Saffire PRO 24 DSP provides instrument inputs with switchable high gain
- Tactile Main Monitor Dial
- A front panel volume dial provides immediate control over the main stereo outputs
- Switchable Phantom Power
- Available across both mic-pre inputs, globally switchable direct from the front fascia
- Midnight Plug-In Suite
- Midnight EQ 4-band, full-parametric EQ with peaking and shelving plus low- and high-pass filters based on the ISA 110 hardware EQ
- Midnight Compressor with compression ratios of 1.5 to infinity, adjustable attack and auto/manual release, based on the ISA 130 hardware compressor