Launchpad from Novation is a USB controller jointly designed by Ableton and Novation that places Ableton Live at your fingertips. Whether you're a DJ, performing musician or studio producer, the multi-color 64-button grid and dedicated scene launch buttons provide easy triggering and manipulation of your clips in Live.
Each button has three colour states so you can see at a glance what's loaded (orange), what's playing (green), and what's being recorded (red). Similarly, Live's interface tells you what section of the Session View the Launchpad is currently controlling. This two-way communication ensures that Launchpad and Ableton Live are always perfectly in sync.
Launchpad doesn't just launch clips. Switch to "mixer mode" and the same button grid offers a unique way to control Ableton Live's mixer. Volume, pans, sends, track arming, soloing and muting can all be controlled via the grid. Using buttons instead of dials, Launchpad lets you jump to different levels across 8 channels at once, useful for controlling multiple effects sends.
The controller is also great for sketching out beats - switch to "user mode 1" and the 64 buttons become drum pad triggers laid out for playing Ableton Live's Drum Racks. However, Launchpad has 2 user modes, and both are fully customizable. Using Live's own learn function, they let you create your own control setup, exactly the way you want it.
Launchpad is not exclusive to Ableton Live. An ideal controller for Max for Live, the customizable user modes are flexible enough to deal with even the most detailed Max for Live devices and can handle generic parameters and controls with ease. Programmers can utilize variable brightness and multi-color (11) LED states to their full advantage when designing new and innovative tools in Max for Live.
- With Ableton
- Designed in partnership with Ableton, Launchpad and Ableton Live integrate seamlessly - just load up Live, plug-in Launchpad and you're ready
- Bi-directional communication between Launchpad and Ableton Live ensures that, at any given time, each knows the status of the other
- With its back-lit multi-color 64 button grid, Launchpad gives instant feedback on your session view - see at a glance what's loaded, what's playing, and what's being recorded
- Launchpad's 64-button grid and dedicated scene launch buttons are ideal for launching and controlling your clips and scenes
- Innovative control over your mix, including volume, pans, sends, track arming, soloing and muting
- Launchpad lets you jump to different levels across eight channels at once
- Expand your Ableton control solution - Novation's Automap-enabled controllers work seamlessly together - a ZeRO SL MkII to control the mix, while Launchpad triggers clips
- Launchpad comes with "Ableton Live 8 Launchpad Edition", fully functional for performance and production. For existing users, Ableton Live 7 and 8 are Launchpad ready
- USB-powered with no need for an additional power supply
- Connect up to 6 Launchpads at a time - expand your grid with multiple Launchpads, or have one Launchpad dedicated to mixer mode, and the other to launching clips
- Using simple page buttons and a "Session Overview", Launchpad gives you an overview of the clips you have loaded across your entire Live set
- With large rubber grips to hold it steady, once you choose a performance position for Launchpad, that's where it stays
- Outside Ableton
- Automap-enabled for instant, intelligent control over VST, Audio Units, RTAS and TDM plug-ins and an increasing number of standalone samplers and step-sequencers
- Automap provides a customizable heads-up transparent display across your computer screen - ideal for seeing at a glance samples that you're about to trigger
- Automap lets you create, customize and delete button assignments directly from your computer screen using lightning-fast "click" and "tap" facilities - click a parameter and then tap a button to assign it
- Control maps are automatically placed into categories depending on type (instrument, effects, custom etc.) quick and easy browsing and selection via Launchpad
- Utilising Automap, Launchpad can operate as a standard MIDI controller, creating custom MIDI maps with 72 of its buttons transmitting either CC or MIDI note data
- Flexible trigger platform for Max MSP and REAKTOR programmers - programmers can utilise variable brightness and multi-colour LED states to their full advantage when designing new and innovative tools in Max MSP and REAKTOR