Canon's VIXIA HF S21 Dual Flash Memory Camcorder puts 1920 x 1080 HD recording and a multitude of other features at your fingertips. The HF S21 captures up to 24 hours of HD video to the camera's 64GB internal flash memory, and lets you store even more footage to optional SD/SDHC memory cards, including Eye-Fi memory cards, using the dual SD memory card slots. In addition to video recording, the HF S21 also captures 8MP stills, and hosts a number of settings and functions to enhance your photo experience.
The heart of the HF S21 is comprised of an 8.59MP CMOS sensor and Canon's DIGIC DV III Image Processor. The two work together to capture HD video in 24Mbps AVCHD. The camcorder also relies on its Canon HD Video Lens with 10x optical zoom and Dynamic SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization. Rounding out the set of core tools for image capture would be Canon's generous 3.5" High Resolution Touch Panel LCD Screen and a 0.27" color viewfinder, giving you options for how you want to film. This wide LCD not only gives you a platform on which to compose and play back shots, but it also uses Canon's Touch & Track which lets you hone in any subject for precise focus and exposure.
Other noteworthy aspects of the HF S21 include the option to record in Native 24p mode, 24p Cinema mode, or 30p Progressive mode (24p and 30p Progressive modes record at 60i). The camcorder also features microphone and headphone terminals, and a built-in video light, as well as a built-in flash. You'll also benefit from the Mini Advanced Accessory Shoe which allows attachment of optional Canon video lights or microphones.
When it comes to the various user-friendly features that help take the guesswork out of recording the HF S21 is loaded. Use Instant AF, Smart Auto, and Face Detection, among others, to get just the right shot. And when it comes time to edit and upload your video or still images Canon's Pixela ImageMixer 3SE Video Editing Software helps you every step of the way with everything from making hard copies of your footage to transferring and trimming.
- Flash Memory Recording
The VIXIA HF S21 allows you to record up to 24 hours of video to a 64GB internal flash drive or up to 2 removable SD memory cards. With Relay Recording, the camcorder automatically switches video recording from the internal drive to the SD memory card when the memory becomes full. There's no need to worry about running out of recording time during a thrilling, once-in-a-lifetime shot.
You'll also have the flexibility of copying video from your VIXIA HF S21's internal drive to the removable SD memory card. That makes it easy to insert the card into your computer or HDTV's card reader and view your recorded footage immediately.
The advantages of flash memory go beyond the added recording time. You'll also appreciate the quick response time, because there are no moving parts. In addition, when you review, you'll have quick access to your footage. Another plus is the VIXIA HF S21's low power consumption rate, allowing your battery to last longer. And if your HF S21 happens to slip, or you accidentally knock it against something, you'll be happy to know that flash memory makes your camcorder more shock-resistant than other recording storage systems. It also minimizes the chance of data loss if there is damage to your recording media or to the moving parts found in other camcorders
- Stunning HD Image Quality
- A Genuine Canon 10x HD Video Lens delivers excellent image quality, while the Canon Exclusive 1/2.6" 8.59MP HD CMOS Image Sensor captures video at 1920 x 1080 resolution and photos with astonishing detail, while the Canon Exclusive DIGIC DV III Image Processor provides impressive color and imaging performance, with enhanced reproduction of difficult to capture purple and blue tones. Exceptionally life-like tone and detail are captured thanks to 24Mbps Recording, which offers the highest bit rate in AVCHD. The VIXIA HF S21 not only captures images in HD, but records and outputs at 1920 x 1080 as well, so you get Full HD from lens to screen
- 3.5" High Res Touch Panel LCD Screen
- The VIXIA HF S21 features a 3.5" High Resolution Touch Panel LCD Screen which provides a large, expansive area for fast and easy menu navigation right at your fingertips. Boasting a resolution of 922,000 dots, the screen delivers exceptional detail and brilliant color for more accurate and enjoyable viewing. You'll also have Touch & Track, which allows you to get precise focus and exposure on any subject - whether it's people, vehicles, etc. by selecting your choice right on the touch panel LCD
- 0.27" Color Viewfinder
- When you want to zero in on the scene without outside distractions or glare from sunlight use the HF S21's 0.27" color viewfinder for recording and reviewing your video and still images
- Built-In Camera
- The VIXIA HF S21, in addition to being a camcorder, is also an 8MP digital camera. The VIXIA HF S21's Dual Shot makes it easier than ever to capture both video and photos. Shoot up to 3 frames per second in the Continuous Mode, or a blazing 5 frames per second in the High Speed Continuous Mode. The versatile VIXIA HF S21 even lets you capture a still image from an already recorded movie. While playing the movie in your camcorder, simply press the photo button to capture a 1920 x 1080 photo onto an SD card or to internal memory. Additionally, the VIXIA HF S21 allows you to capture 30 photos from one second of video. And in addition to all that your VIXIA HF S21's built-in flash lets you capture superb photos indoors and in low light conditions, and also features red-eye reduction
- Auto Intelligent Auto Focus
- Auto Intelligent Auto Focus, AiAF, ensures sharp images and gives creative flexibility. Even when your subject isn't in the center of the frame, the VIXIA HF S21's 9-Point AiAF will automatically select from 9 metering frames on the screen to help bring images into sharp focus
- Selectable Metering Patterns
- For optimal still image exposure, the VIXIA HF S21 offers selectable metering patterns: Evaluative, Center-Weighted Average, and Spot
- AE Bracketing Feature
- The AE Bracketing feature of the VIXIA HF S21 automatically takes three versions of the shot, with 'dark,' 'normal' and 'light' settings in 1/2 exposure steps so you may choose the one that best suits you
- Histogram Display
- For the advanced digital photographer, the VIXIA HF S21 comes with a Histogram Display - a feature found in Canon's line of digital SLR cameras. The display allows you to see the brightness information of your still images, so you can adjust your exposures as you shoot
- Dynamic SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization with Powered IS
- The VIXIA HF S21 features Canon's proprietary Dynamic SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization which provides continuous adjustment throughout the entire zoom range to correct a broad range of motion. Extra compensation is applied at wide-angle focal lengths to eliminate unwanted shaking which is common when walking. Together with Powered IS you'll find an even higher level of compensation for subtle hand movement at the telephoto end of the zoom range. Powered IS can be engaged by pressing or holding the Powered IS button on the touch panel LCD
- Instant AF
The VIXIA HF S21 camcorder features Canon's Instant AF focusing system which offers an improvement in auto focus speed and accuracy (compared to traditional auto focus systems). The Instant AF feature uses an external sensor, in combination with Canon's auto focus system, to help significantly decrease the time it takes to find focus, even in low light conditions. This system achieves focus instantaneously, reducing focus "hunting." This is especially beneficial in high brightness or night shooting situations. In addition, with Instant AF it's possible to capture fast, accurate focusing, even when following a moving subject.
To further enhance focusing capability, the VIXIA HF S21 also features Focus Assist. This helps in capturing your subject in razor-sharp focus. It works by providing a 2x magnification of your subject, which is automatically cancelled when you start recording
- Smart Auto
- Smart Auto makes shooting great video easy. Using the power of Canon's DIGIC DV III Image Processor, the VIXIA HF S21 intelligently detects and analyzes faces, brightness, color, distance, and movement, then automatically selects the best settings for the scene
- Touch & Track
- Touch and Track delivers precise tracking of the focus and exposure on any subject: people, pets, vehicles, and more. Simply select your point of interest on the Touch Panel LCD and you will have your subject in sharp focus regardless of where in the frame it moves during the shot. Touch & Track is the default setting. You can also choose to adjust focus or exposure independently by turning off Touch & Track, and turning on Touch Focus or Touch Exposure
- Genuine Canon Face Detection
The same Face Detection technology used in Canon digital cameras is available in the VIXIA HF S21 high definition camcorder. Up to 35 faces can be tracked automatically, ensuring razor-sharp focus and natural, accurate exposure. Of the faces tracked, 9 detection frames can be displayed at one time.
The system is in fact so smart that it will recognize faces turned downwards or sideways.
In addition, a specific face may be selected as the main subject for continuous tracking. This feature can be used to search for clips featuring that specific subject's face. In search and playback, use of the Face Index will display frames with the chosen face as a thumbnail in each shot in which it appears. The selected face can be linked as a timeline to further identify footage containing that subject
- Advanced Video Snapshot
- Advanced Video Snapshot allows you to capture the highlights of your adventures with the same ease as taking photos. Simply record a series of short video clips - or select your favorite clips while in Playback Mode - and blend in your favorite background music to create an exciting movie that will grab everyone's attention. This version of Advanced Video Snapshot allows selectable recording time (2, 4, or 8 seconds). Additionally, audio from an external source such as an MP3 player can be played along with the Snapshot movie, and playback can be controlled from that source
- Easy Web Sharing
- HD-to-SD Downconversion allows you to convert recorded high definition video to standard definition files while safely preserving the original HD video. These standard definition files make it even more convenient to edit, share video online, or create a DVD. The downconverted video can be transferred to your computer via traditional methods - i.e. USB connection, card slot - or wirelessly to sharing sites with an Eye-Fi SD memory card
- Eye-Fi SD Memory Card Compatible
- The VIXIA HF S21 is compatible with the Eye-Fi SD Memory Card. It's possible to wirelessly transfer your down-converted video and photos to your computer, or upload them directly to online sharing sites in a few simple steps. Insert an Eye-Fi SD Memory Card into the SD card slot on the camcorder, configure your computer to select the target site (e.g., Facebook, YouTube, Shutterfly, Flickr) and you're ready to share your standard definition files with family, friends, and the world 1
- Native 24p Mode, 24p Cinema Mode and 30p Frame Mode
Native 24p Mode allows 24 frames per second - exactly the same capture rate as film - to be captured and recorded. This is a big advantage for serious filmmaking work enabling you to achieve a cinematic experience.
24p Cinema Mode enables all aspiring moviemakers to achieve a professional "film-look." You can change the camcorder's frame capture rate to 24p (recorded at 60i), which provides the appearance of the same frame rate as movie film. In addition, you can use the VIXIA HF S21's CINE setting, which changes the color and tonal characteristics, evoking the look and feel of a movie shown in a theater. For added flexibility, these settings can be used together or independently
In addition to the standard interlaced video frame rate of 60i, you may choose to set the VIXIA HF S21 to capture video in 30p Progressive Mode, (30 progressive frames, recorded at 60i) which is particularly useful for footage to be used on the Internet. Excellent for action and sports shots, this setting gives enhanced quality to still images captured after recording
- To maximize the usefulness and versatility of the VIXIA HF S21, you'll find a range of terminals to extend the capabilities of your camcorder. A built-in LANC Terminal provides an easy connection to both Canon and third party wired remote controllers. The Mini Advanced Accessory Shoe allows you to attach optional Canon accessories such as the VL-5 Video Light, DM-100 Directional Stereo Microphone, or SM-V1 5.1-Channel Surround Microphone. Easy, one-cable connectivity to your HDTV is yours through the VIXIA HF S21's HDMI Terminal which also supports CEC and x.v.Color. The built-in Microphone terminal with manual audio level control and Headphone terminal provide exceptional audio flexibility
For the ultimate home theater experience, 5.1-Channel Surround Sound allows you to capture audio quality that matches the stunning realism of your high definition video. Since sound is captured from all directions through five different pickup sensors, your home movies will look and sound more lifelike than ever before.
The Automatic Attenuator feature prevents high volume distortion and optimizes audio quality in situations when sound levels quickly change, such as when loud music plays in the background. It automatically keeps the audio clean and even
- Pixela ImageMixer 3SE Video Editing Software
- The Pixela ImageMixer 3SE video editing software allows for playback of recorded video on your computer and editing in which you can trim, reorder, and combine scenes, as well as add music, titles, and transitions. With the Pixela ImageMixer 3SE Software, you can burn a standard definition DVD to relive the memories on your TV. And to perfectly complement the Video Snapshot feature found on Canon flash memory camcorders, a music CD containing royalty-free soundtracks is also provided
- Creative Control and Workflow Features
- Built-in video light for shooting video in low light conditions
- Color peaking enhances the edges of your subject to aid in focusing
- Enhanced zebra pattern indicates blown out or high brightness areas
- Intelligent Lithium-ion battery tracks remaining battery life for surprise-free recording
- Color bars with reference tone help to set proper color and audio levels with editing video
- Burn DVDs of your video with the optional DW-100 DVD Burner and one-cable connection
- Approximately 100% area display gives you a complete view in the LCD of the scene being shot
- Gain control allows you to lower the dB value to ensure dark scenes can be shot with correct level of darkness
- Custom key allows functions of exposure, focusing, assist functions, mic volume, or AGC limits to be assigned to a custom key