The Olympus PEN E-PL1 Digital Camera is a dream come true for many photographers with 12 megapixels and technology normally found in much larger cameras and High Definition (HD) camcorders.
It features a PEN large-size image sensor that is 8 times larger than the ones in average point & shoot cameras. This sensor, combined with the TruePic V Image Processor, delivers excellent dynamic range, accurate color and reduced noise, all the way up to ISO 3200. With state-of-the art noise reduction technology and 3 in-body image stabilization modes, users will realize clear images with all compatible lenses under most lighting conditions.
The E-PL1's iAuto mode automatically identifies the scene you're shooting (portrait, landscape, night portrait, macro, or sport) and adjusts the settings to optimize results. While in iAuto you can engage Live Guide control which lets you compose your picture, manipulate the image with various in-camera effects like softening backgrounds, adjusting colors, and brightness before taking the photo.
Adding to the dream, recording HD movies (720p) with the E-PL1 is simple thanks to an easy-to-reach record button on the back of the camera body. You can toggle back and forth between capturing stills and video which opens endless shooting possibilities, for example you can shoot a portrait of a child and switch to video to capture the moment when he or she is playing with the dog that interrupted your shooting session.
This camera has 19 automatic scene-select modes which adjust camera settings according to the subject you are photographing plus 6 in-camera Art Filters (Pop Art, Soft Focus, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Diorama and the new Gentle Sepia filter). These tools make image capture easy and can expand your creativity.
This E-PL1 comes with an M.Zuiko Digital ED Micro Four Thirds mount 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6L lens which is extremely compact and has a plastic mount which helps keep the weight down. It at has both ED and Aspherical lens elements which deliver very high imaging performance. Despite its small size it delivers amazing image brightness and contrast. It covers wide angle to moderate telephoto distances and is suitable for portraits, everyday shooting, and traveling.
- HD Movies
- Shoot HD movies at 30 frames per second, with high-quality sound, in 720p with available manual control over aperture and shutter speed. This new level of control allows you to express your vision exactly how you want in your HD videos. A Direct HD Movie Button switches you from still to movie mode with the press of a button. You can also capture HD video (720p) using one of the six Art Filters for more creative shooting options.
- Easy-to-Use Live Guide Control
- With the E-PL1 you can see the results of your camera settings before you shoot allowing you to change the way you take a picture. Simply set the camera to iAuto, press OK to engage Live Guide, then press the up and down arrows on the back of the camera to easily slide through numerous photographic effects. Make adjustments and watch the LCD as the effects are made live -- before the image is captured. Live Guide also features a "Tips" section on how to compose a shot or shoot kids, pets, flowers and more. Or maybe you want to capture the fast-moving action of your subject with a little artistic blur, or perhaps freeze the action.
- Built-in Flash
- Use the built-in pop-up flash to easily illuminate low-light subjects. The camera is also compatible with a range of optional external flashes including the Olympus FL-14. The E-PL1 has wireless flash control using the FL-36R and FL-50R -- for dynamic lighting control.
- In-Camera Art Filters
- With 6 in-camera Art Filters (Pop Art, Soft Focus, Grainy Film, Pin Hole, Diorama and the new Gentle Sepia filter) you can explore your artistic side while taking both still shots and HD video. The Art Filters can be applied as you shoot, no additional software required.
- 12.3 Megapixels
- The E-PL1's powerful 12.3 megapixel Live-MOS sensor packs a powerful high-quality imaging punch for such a compact camera, allowing you to capture more detail than ever before. The Live MOS image sensor delivers excellent dynamic range, accurate color fidelity and fine image details in both highlight and shadow areas.
- In-Body Image Stabilization
- The E-PL1's 3-mode In-body Image Stabilization system compensates for up to 3 shutter speed steps in the still shooting modes with any of its interchangeable lenses: Mode 1 for general shooting, Mode 2 for creative high-speed horizontal capture, and Mode 3 for high-speed vertical capture. The camera's Mechanical Image Stabilization automatically compensates for camera shake in low-light situations or when using a telephoto lens. In the Movie Modes the advanced Electronic Image Stabilization tracts the images both vertically and horizontally to achieve clear sharp movies.
- Compact Size, Interchangeable Lenses
- Olympus has packed a big sensor into a small camera. The stylish design of the Olympus PEN E-PL1 is much more compact than a traditional DSLR, but it still provides the option of interchangeable lenses.
- In-Camera Slideshow With Sound
- The E-PL1's enhanced playback functions allow you to employ effective fade-in/fade-out techniques, control the movie/still mix and speed, add captivating musical soundtracks, and much more.
- Multiple Exposures
- Multiple exposures make heightened creativity an easily-obtained objective. Two frames can be combined to create an image uniquely yours. Images can be combined in playback mode or directly on the LCD display.
- iAuto with iEnhance
- In the iAuto mode the E-PL1 automatically identifies the scene you're shooting - portrait, landscape, night portrait, macro, or sport - and adjusts the settings to optimize results. iEnhance can be used in any mode, and automatically engages when using iAuto to enrich color in any subject, just as the human eye sees it.
- TruePic V Image Processor
- In addition to more detail, the image sensor, combined with the next-generation TruePic V Image Processor, delivers excellent dynamic range, accurate color fidelity and reduced noise, all the way up to 3200 ISO.
- 19 Automatic Scene-Select Modes
- The E-PL1 is equipped with 19 scene-select modes for effortless picture taking. Standard scene modes like Night-Scene, Portrait and Landscape are easy-to-use solutions for everyday shooting.
- Dust Reduction System
- A Dust Reduction System assures spot-free images. Every time you turn on the camera, the patented Supersonic Wave Filter silently vibrates, flinging and collecting dust so that it cannot interfere with the picture imaging at any time.
- AF Live View with AF Tracking
- AF Live View works as seamlessly as a point-and-shoot to display subjects, in focus, on the LCD the instant the shutter is pressed half way. AF Tracking locks your subject into focus right on the LCD, and constantly adjusts focus and brightness whether you or your subject is moving. With this mode, a simple push of the AF button and shutter release enables you to keep fast-moving and unpredictable subjects in focus.
- In-Camera Editing
- Make changes to your image after the shot, right in the camera. Adjust for red eye, crop an image, change the aspect ratio or saturation, and change your image to black and white...and more. In-Camera JPEG edit functions allow you to quickly tweak your images right in the camera so you can easily upload them to your favorite web site and share them with friends and family.
- Face Detection
- A Face Detection function reduces the chance of blurry faces when shooting groups of people, up to eight subjects at once, even if they're moving while you're pressing the shutter button.
- Shadow Adjustment Technology
- Shadow Adjustment Technology corrects for extreme light variations with high-tech efficiency. It can also be used in post-editing.
- The ePortrait Scene-Select mode is useful for smoothing out the facial features of your subjects, which is a tremendous plus for High Definition video playback, or apply ePortrait post shot via .JPEG edit.
- Multiple Aspect Ratio Shooting
- The E-PL1 lets you select one of four aspect ratios (4:3, 3.2, 16.9 and 6.6) that help frame your images to whatever proportions you'd like. Aspect ratios are available for still photo and HD movie capture, for everything from conventional enlargements to viewing on widescreen monitors.
- Accessory Port
- The E-PL1 includes a port for new accessories including the SEMA-1 Microphone adapter set and the VF-2 live-finder, a detachable electronic viewfinder. The viewfinder easily slides onto the camera's accessory port and hot shoe to provide 1.15x magnification for a 100% field of view. The VF-2 rotates up 90° which is useful when shooting subjects from challenging angles. The external accessory port also allows for connection with the new EMA-1 external microphone adapter for enhanced audio capture.
- Micro Four Thirds Mount
- The Micro Four Thirds Mount on the E-PL1 provides many key benefits, including the effectiveness of a digitally designed image sensor, an ultra-compact design, and expandability and compatibility with all Micro Four Thirds Lenses and Four Thirds System Lens via the MMF-2 Adapter (not included).
- SDHC Media Cards
- The E-PL1 is capable of recording video to SDHC media cards to accommodate large files. (SDHC Class 6 cards are recommended). Videos, stills and high-fidelity audio can also be output via an HDMI cable, direct to any HD television.
- Underwater Housing
- The PEN E-PL1's compact design makes it the perfect companion for all of your dive trips. The PT-EP01 underwater housing (optional) has been specially customized for the Olympus PRO E-PL1 and is waterproof to a depth of approximately 130' (40 meters). With its durable, high-quality polycarbonate construction, this Olympus housing protects the camera from water while also cushioning it from knocks and bumps on land.