The compact and lightweight (19.68 oz, 558 g) Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Interchangeable Lens System Digital Camera (Black) with a Micro Four Thirds Lumix G Vario 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Asph./Mega O.I.S. lens makes taking photos fun and simple. The G2 features full-time Live View which works with both the LCD and the Live View Finder. This means that you see before you shoot how adjusting the exposure compensation, white balance, aperture and even the shutter speed will affect the image.
The 12.1MP Live MOS sensor means higher image quality, lower power consumption. It offers the best of both worlds--the superior image quality of a CCD sensor, and the lower power consumption of a CMOS sensor. And it has a high S/N ratio, which results in clear images even when taken at high ISO sensitivity. The moveable 3.0" (7.6cm) LCD Touch Screen allows image capture, engagement of special shooting modes and playback with a simple touch. For example, via the LCD you can engage the iA (Intelligent Auto) feature which automatically selects one of six specialized modes to optimize exposure and focus for the particular subject you are shooting. If you are covering a sporting event or you're capturing precious images of your fast-moving toddler for example, iA will engage AF Tracking which follows the subject's trail and continuously keep it in focus until the shutter release is pressed.
When your subjects are groups of people, such as friends and family, iA can enlist the Face Recognition mode in which the G2 will recognize up to 3 faces and optimize focus and exposure. The convenience of face recognition even goes one step further as the G2 allows you to pre-register subjects in the camera with full-face portraits so when you compose your photo the names of the registered people show up on the LCD.
Whether using the touch screen or the dedicated video record button, the G2 shoots HD movies in Motion JPEG or AVCHD Lite formats, allowing up to 180 minutes of continuous recording time while retaining excellent image quality and sound. You can engage the camera's Movie mode for a variety of professional-like movie effects such as blurring images that transition into focus.
With advanced technology and convenient touch screen operation, the Lumix G2 appeals to advanced photographers as well as novices who want excellent image quality, user-friendly features and interchangeable lenses without the complexity and weight of a digital SLR.
- Double Live View
- Full-time Live View works with both the LCD and the Live View Finder. This means that, no matter which way you shoot, you see before you shoot how adjusting the exposure compensation, white balance, aperture and even the shutter speed will affect the image. On the G2, both the LCD and the Live View Finder boast true Full-time Live View capability. The Live View Finder has large, approximately 1.4x (0.7x in 35mm format), magnification and an approximate 100% field of view. This combines with 1,440,000-dot equivalent resolution to make it easy to get the exact image that you see through the lens.
- 3.0" Free-Angle LCD
- The large 3.0" (7.6cm) LCD rotates 180° horizontally and 270° vertically, making it easy for you to capture dynamic shots from extreme angles without getting into an awkward position. And when the lighting around you changes, the LCD backlighting level automatically changes too, so you get comfortable, easy-on-the-eyes viewing at all times.
- Photos and HD Movies with All the Beauty You Can Imagine
- The 12.1MP Live MOS sensor means higher image quality, lower power consumption. It offers the best of both worlds--the superior image quality of a CCD sensor, and the lower power consumption of a CMOS sensor. This sensor is also advantageous for photo and movie recording with its high S/N, thanks to an advanced circuit structure that is unaffected by the noise generated in each of the circuits. It results in clear images even when taken at high ISO sensitivity.
- Touch Screen Operation
- The Lumix G2 is the system camera with touch-control shooting. Just touch the LCD to indicate the subject, and the G2 focuses on it instantly. Choose from four AF modes to match the conditions. You can also operate the auto focus and shutter release at the same time with just a touch, for a completely new way to shoot.
- Touch Operation in iA Mode
- With the G2 you're always ready for those sudden, spur-of-the-moment photo opportunities. In iA (Intelligent Auto) mode, simply touch the subject on the LCD and the LUMIX G2 automatically selects the optimal scene mode. The G2 automatically determines the most suitable Scene mode and helps correct blurring, focus, and brightness problems to capture great photos.
- Adjust Exposure Meter with a Touch
- You can adjust the exposure compensation by sliding your finger on the aperture and shutter speed settings in the exposure meter shown on the LCD. The range in which appropriate exposure is not possible is shown in red, so you can intuitively grasp the corresponding aperture and shutter speed combinations.
- Quick Menu for Instant Settings
- A touch is all it takes to make a variety of settings, including photo size, ISO sensitivity and white balance. You spend less time fiddling with the camera and more time getting great shots.
- One-Touch HD Movie Recording
- The hybrid Lumix G2 lets you take both high quality photos and HD movies. You can shoot breathtaking HD (1280x 720) movies in AVCHD Lite (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264). You can record for a longer time without running out of memory because AVCHD Lite stores less data than Motion JPEG while maintaining stunning image clarity and detail. A dedicated button on the top lets you instantly start recording movies while shooting photos, without having to make any extra settings.
- Motion Picture P Mode
- Motion Picture P mode makes it extremely easy to shoot beautiful HD movies. You can freely set the degree of soft focusing in the background to capture rich, emotionally expressive HD movie images.
iA Mode (Intelligent Auto)
- iA Mode for Beautiful Images with Ease
- Select iA mode, and the G2 automatically activates a host of advanced functions and technologies that make it easy to capture beautiful HD movies.
- Intelligent Scene Selector
- The Intelligent Scene Selector function automatically selects the most suitable Scene mode for the shooting situation you are in. These scene modes include: Portrait, Night Portrait, Scenery, Night Scenery, Close-up or Sunset.
- Face Recognition
- This function recognizes the faces of up to three people that have been pre-registered in the camera, and displays their names on the LCD. The Lumix G2 then optimizes the focus and brightness of the recognized faces and captures them clearly and beautifully.
- Face Detection AF/AE
- The Face Detection AF/AE function determines if there are any faces in the image and adjusts the focus and exposure to capture them correctly.
- AF Tracking
- Touch the screen, and the G2 locks on and automatically "tracks" the subject as it moves. Once you focus on your subject, AF Tracking automatically and continuously tracks it and keeps it in focus, even if it moves, until you press the shutter release. This feature is ideal for shooting sports or fast-moving children.
- Intelligent Exposure
- In the Intelligent Exposure mode the camera can correct the brightness in parts of the image that are too dark due to insufficient lighting, backlighting or use of the flash.
- Intelligent ISO Control
- If the subject moves as you shoot, the Intelligent ISO control automatically adjusts the ISO sensitivity and shutter speed to help prevent subject blur.
- My Color Mode
- While taking photos the My Color mode makes it easy to capture creative images. Just aim the camera and select any of seven preset effects, including Silhouette, Expressive, Pure and others, while checking the image in Live View. The Custom setting lets you adjust the color, brightness and saturation to your liking, to further expand your creative palette.
- The touch screen operation excels not only for shooting but also during playback. Users can touch one thumbnail viewed among many to quickly and easily see the full size of the desired photo. Also, to view images one-by-one, photos can be dragged across the screen to browse as though flipping the pages of a book.
- HD Photos and HD Movies with Viera Link Networking
- The Lumix G2 is equipped with an HDMI output terminal for direct transmission of digital image and sound signals. Just connect it to an HDTV using a single HDMI mini cable (optional). It's also easy to enjoy slideshows in which both photos and movies are played according to the recorded timeline. If you have a Viera TV, you can control the camera's playback functions with Viera's remote control unit.
- Easy HD Image Viewing with the SD Card Slot
- Simply take your SDXC, SDHC, or SD memory card from the G2 and slip it into the card slot of a Viera or Blu-ray disc player, and you're ready to view HD images. For even greater impact and entertainment fun, you can add background music and image effects to your image slideshows.
- Videos with Sound
- To complement its high-quality video capabilities, the LUMIX G2 features advanced audio options, as sound is recorded with Dolby Digital Creator (included) and an optional accessory stereo microphone can be attached. A Wind Cut function further enhances the sound as it helps reduce noise caused from background wind.
- Advanced Technology
- The Venus Engine HD II incorporates two CPUs. This not only boosts image processing speed, it also helps achieve an exceptional noise-reduction performance. Also, the two CPUs of the Venus Engine HD II allow long-time movie recording in AVCHD Lite while maintaining low power consumption. And the Venus Engine HD II features a new circuit that makes Intelligent Resolution Technology possible too.
- Intelligent Resolution Technology
- In iA mode, the Lumix G2 automatically identifies parts with outlines, detailed texture areas and soft gradation areas, and optimizes the edge emphasis on the outlines and detailed texture areas while using the Venus Engine noise reduction process to make the soft gradation areas smoother. You can capture stunning images with details you've never seen before in both photo and movie recording.
- Dust Reduction System
- If dust or other foreign matter gets inside the camera when you're changing lenses, it could cling to the image sensor and show up as a spot in photos. The G2 helps eliminate this possibility by placing a Supersonic Wave Filter in front of the Live MOS sensor. Vibrating around 50,000 times per second, the filter repels dust and other particles. This keeps the image sensor clean at all times and eliminates the need for cumbersome maintenance procedures.
- Lumix G Vario 14-42mm f/3.5 Asph./Mega O.I.S.
- The Lumix G Vario 14-42mm f/3.5 Asph./Mega O.I.S. lens incorporates Panasonic's Mega O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer), using gyro sensors built into the lens, to suppress the blur caused by a shaky hand and make it easy to shoot clear photographs even in low-light situations. Adopting an inner-focus system driven by a stepping motor, the superior optical design realizes outstanding smoothness to support the high-speed AF (Auto Focus) system of Lumix G cameras.