The AESAD from Whirlwind is an ultra-portable analog to digital converter that can take up to 2 microphone or line level signals, and convert them into a single AES/EBU digital audio stream. The converter features transformer based preamps that can supply phantom power for use with condenser microphones.
The unit features 2 XLR inputs, along with a single XLR and a single BNC connector for the stereo digital output. The AESAD is capable of delivering both professional and consumer versions of AES-3. Two 11-segment LED meter arrays are used to display the analog input and the digital output signal levels.
Ten LEDs provide diagnostic analysis of the digital output, as well as with the flip of a switch, the current operational status of the unit, such as the sample rate, type of data, etc. The AESAD can be powered using 4 AA batteries, or with the included power supply, or adapted to an external portable power source.
- Portable, battery powered analog to digital converter for converting microphone or line level analog audio into a digital audio stream
- 2 high-quality transformer based microphone preamps and outputs a single, variable level AES/EBU digital signal
- Phantom power is available for use with condenser microphones
- The output sample rate is selectable by the user and a word clock input is provided for synchronization with other AES/EBU equipment
- Dual function meters display either digital output or analog input levels
- Headphone output with level control
- Operates from 4 AA batteries or the included wall power supply