The USBPre 2 from Sound Devices is a high-resolution, portable interface that connects professional microphones, line-level sources, consumer audio electronics and S/PDIF digital sources with Mac OS X and Windows computers via USB. The unit includes two discrete-transistor microphone preamps with 24-bit converters and sampling rates up to 192kHz. The preamp topology is shared with the company's premier 744T digital audio recorder and includes peak limiters, high-pass filters, and a 15dB pad for overload protection.
The interface is a class-compliant audio device, allowing for simple plug-and-play connection to computers running Mac OS X, Windows and Linux operating systems. There are no drivers to install and no software-only features, with all additional controls and settings available on back panel DIP switches. The USB port also provides power to the unit, both when connected as an audio interface and when used in stand-alone operation. All analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog conversion is performed by the USBPre 2.
When used in stand-alone mode, the unit operates as a high-quality, portable microphone preamplifier and analog-to-digital converter. Incoming digital signals are converted to analog and available at the headphone, XLR and RCA outputs. This mode is a great option when an additional microphone preamplifer, A-D converter, or D-A converter is required.
The unit includes numerous output connection types, including balanced microphone or line level on XLR, unbalanced consumer line-level on RCA, S/PDIF coaxial (RCA) and optical (TOSLink). The outputs have their own, dedicated front-panel level control. The USBPre 2 includes an accurate 23-segment, multi-color LED meter for precise level indication. The meter is switchable between input and output signal metering. The meter indicates both VU and peak (PPM) ballistics.
The interface is designed to stand up to the most demanding environments. Its extruded aluminum chassis and panels, machined knobs, metal connectors, and laser-etched nomenclature are designed to hold up to years of abuse.
- Extended bandwidth, low-noise microphone preamplifiers with 48V phantom power, limiters, high-pass filters, and 15dB pad
- Dynamic range greater than 114dB (in 24-bit operation)
- Flat 10Hz to 40kHz (@96kHz SR) audio bandwidth with very low distortion characteristics
- Each input individually selectable between microphone, line and aux level signals (both channels selected simultaneously for S/PDIF connections)
- Precision, 23-segment, multi-color LED peak/VU meter, selectable between input and output sources
- High-output headphone amplifier can drive a wide range of headphones
- Balanced outputs on XLR connectors with dedicated level control can be used to drive line or microphone level inputs
- Mix control enables zero-delay monitoring of source audio, computer audio, or a mix of both source and computer audio for multi-track recording or computer telephony
- Phono (RCA) jacks connect Aux Output to external loudspeakers or preamplifiers
- Bus powering via USB for convenient, single-cable connection to the computer
- In Stand-Alone mode the USBPre 2 operates as a microphone preamplifier and analog-to-digital converter
- Hardware loop-through for test and measurement to send computer audio directly back to an input
- High-strength extruded aluminum chassis
- Mac OS X 10.4+, Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, and Linux class-compliant audio device
- Additional features controlled by hardware DIP switches on the back panel - no software only features and no control panel