Whether you're a street photographer - sniping for your bread and butter - or any shooter desiring a less expensive backup - or you have a serious hankering to shoot video and stills, the Olympus E-5 DSLR Camera (Body Only) (Body) is sure to entice, and satiate, not to mention satisfy. Yes, that's correct friends, the E-5 features 1280 x 720p high def video capture, in addition to its 12.3MP still image capabilities. And let's just cut the rest of the suspense right here and now - YES! The E-5 also features a 3" dual axis swivel HyperCrystal LCD. Phew! (You were worried, weren't you? Don't lie to me - I can tell)
So, what's up with the video you ask? As Olympus puts it, this camera captures 1280 x 720p "head turning" high definition video at 30 frames per second. A standard 3.5mm jack also allows for connection of an external microphone for superior stereo audio recording to go with that stellar video. If you don't feel like connecting a mic, or you simply want to be less obvious, you can also utilize the camera's built-in monaural microphone. Additionally, the E-5 accepts over 20 Four Thirds lenses - from wide angle fisheye to super telephoto - definitely something for those into micro four thirds to ponder.
When it comes to the camera's primary function - capturing 12.3MP digital stills - the E-5 hasn't lost touch with its main purpose. Working together with Olympus' TruePic V+ Image Processor and the high-speed live MOS image sensor the E-5 captures stunning still photos. Even in low light settings the E-5 gets the shot thanks to the camera's 6400 ISO capabilities. Where oh where do you store all these exceptional images (and videos)? Well, my friends the E-5 stores your work to both CompactFlash and SDHC/SDXC memory cards, allowing for hassle-free transfer and storage of your files.
When it comes to other exciting aspects of the E-5 you'll benefit from the camera's 10 in-camera Art Filters for fun and impressive effects, like Pop Art, Soft Focus, and Pin Hole (who doesn't like pin hole photography?). Olympus also wants you to know that the E-5 isn't just easy to get along with - it also happens to be one tough cookie. It's "thixomold magnesium alloy chassis" is splashproof and dustproof. In other words, a few sprinkles or a little bit of dust won't hurt it. So, whether you're a seasoned pro, or aspiring to be one, the E-5 provides numerous attractive features guaranteed to fill a need.
- Beautiful Image Quality
The E-5 camera utilizes a unique combination of cutting-edge technologies to deliver the highest image quality in the Olympus family. Together with its 12.3 megapixel High-Speed Live MOS image sensor, the Olympus TruePic V+ Image Processor produces clear and colorful photos using all the pixel information at an individual pixel level to provide the best digital images possible. The increased detail is due to the Fine Detail Processing technology, utilizing a sophisticated algorithm to deliver all the information from each pixel for greater detail than shots taken on other cameras with the same number of pixels. The image processor is noted for accurate natural color, true-to-life flesh tones, brilliant blue skies, and precise tonal expression; it also lowers image noise in photos shot at higher ISO settings (ISO 100 to ISO 6400), enabling great results in low-light situations
To prevent image blur caused by camera shake, the E-5 camera employs in-body Mechanical Image Stabilization to compensate for camera movement up to 5 steps EV and delivers blur-free images taken with any of the ZUIKO DIGITAL lenses available for the camera. Moreover, built-in image stabilization works with not only long focal length lenses, but with wide, ultra-wide and even fisheye lenses, permitting long exposures during low-light and night scene settings with sharp, stabilized results
- Head-Turning 720p High Definition Video
- Shooting video is as easy as ever with the Olympus E-5 camera. The camera captures all the action in crisp 720p HD video at 30 frames per second. With more than 20 Four Thirds lenses, people can shoot video with a selection of lenses ranging from an extreme wide-angle fisheye lens to a super telephoto lens for a variety of expressive options. Photographers can capture great stereo sound quality by plugging any microphone with a standard 3.5mm jack into the camera's stereo microphone terminal. A built-in microphone also records clear monaural audio
- 3" Dual Axis Swivel HyperCrystal LCD
- Whether composing still images or HD video, photographers will appreciate the E-5 camera's 270° dual axis swivel 3" Live View LCD because it covers all the viewing angles from low to high and side to side, ensuring accurate composition and providing opportunities for creativity. Real-time image monitoring of white balance and exposure enables greater creative control of settings. The LCD displays 920,000 dots in vivid color and includes HyperCrystal technology, which offers many times the contrast of conventional LCD monitors for easier viewing in both preview and playback modes. It also provides a wide viewing angle ensuring that images can be composed from even the most obscure angles
Accepting both CompactFlash Type I UDMA and SD cards (SDHC/SDXC compatible), the E-5 provides a choice of data storage options for enhanced flexibility, and it is possible to transfer image files from one card to the other right inside the camera
Class 6 or higher SD cards are recommended for optimal movie shooting
- Durability and Reliability
The E-5 camera's sealed lightweight "thixomold" magnesium alloy chassis is completely splashproof and dustproof for optimal performance with pro lenses on expeditions to the most extreme environments on the planet. A durable shutter mechanism with the lifespan of 150,000 exposures meets the demands of serious photographers. The E-5 camera's large optical viewfinder provides a 100 percent accurate view to ensure photographers do not miss a shot
The E-5 camera also features an award-winning built-in Dust Reduction System that eliminates spots from photos with the exclusive Supersonic Wave Filter. The system won the prestigious Asahi Shimbun Invention Prize in the 2010 Japan National Invention Awards. The patented ultrasonic technology physically vibrates to remove dust and other particles from the front of the image sensor, and captures the debris on a special adhesive membrane every time you turn on the camera. It can even remove dust attached by intermolecular force that cannot be removed by physical vibration or by discharging static electricity. These spot-free photos liberate users from hours spent retouching photographs at the computer or sending their cameras back to the manufacturer to remove dust trapped inside
- Unlimited Creativity
- Ten in-camera Art Filters, including Dramatic Tone, round out this DSLR's impressive feature set. For the first time, photographers can use Art Filters in all shooting modes, program auto, shutter priority, aperture priority and manual modes and movies with expanded control. Both still and movie capable, the E-5 camera offers HD video in an E-System DSLR for the first time
- Great Performance
Intuitive controls and fast performance are essential for capturing the moment without missing a shot. Besides its direct access buttons for quick access to camera menus, the E-5 camera has a Twin cross type (fully biaxial) 11-point AF sensor, based on proprietary Olympus micro-sensing technologies that achieve equally effective performance on both the vertical and horizontal axis
With most biaxial sensors, performance on the vertical and horizontal axes is not equal, and there is often a perceived difference in response time when using different lenses. However, unlike systems that respond at nominally lower f-stop values simply by boosting sensitivity, the E-5 camera's AF sensor features a houndstooth pattern phase detection sensor layout that uses micro-lamination technologies to achieve superior real-world performance. The 11 AF target points on the E-5 can be selected to work individually or dynamically in combination with adjacent target points
The E-5 camera also features five frames-per-second continuous shooting and a 1/8000 second top shutter speed required for shooting situations when you are capturing fast-moving subjects
- Wireless Flash Control
- The E-5 camera is compatible with a range of optional external flashes, including the Olympus FL-36R and FL-50R. The E-5 camera can control both of these flashes wirelessly so you can dynamically control lighting as your photography skills grow. The E-5 camera features a commander function incorporated in its built-in flash, making wireless multi-flash photography possible without using an outside commander. The E-5 camera can control up to three wireless flash groups independently, and control of multiple flashes is possible even in an environment in which both the FL-50R and FL-36R are used simultaneously. In addition, the E-5 camera's Super Control Panel display makes it possible to enter and check all of the selected items on the LCD. This ensures excellent operability and mobility