The AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.4G Lens from Nikon is a fast lens with a classic wide-angle focal length. Its f/1.4 maximum aperture allows for effective low-light shooting, even handheld. It's also able to achieve a very narrow depth of field when shooting at f/1.4, creating a dramatic separation between your subject and background.
The lens features a Silent Wave Motor (SWM) for quick, quiet, and accurate autofocus. Its Rear Focusing (RF) system ensures that the front element won't rotate during focus, making it possible to use a circular polarizing filter with the lens. Two focus modes are available -- M/A and M. M/A is the autofocus mode yet allows manual focus override for fine-tuned precision and M is the full-time manual focus mode.
The optical design of the lens features 10 elements in 7 groups, with a single aspherical element that reduces coma and other types of aberrations -- even when shooting wide open. It also boasts Nikon's exclusive Nano-Crystal Coat, which minimizes flare -- even in backlit situations. A nine blade circular aperture delivers a pleasing out of focus background.
This is a "G" series lens, which means that there is no physical aperture ring -- the aperture must be controlled by the camera. It can be used on Nikon FX and DX format DSLRs. When used on a DX camera, the lens provides the equivalent field of view of a 52.5mm lens in the 35mm format.
- Fast Wide-Angle Lens
- A wide-angle prime lens with a fast f/1.4 maximum aperture, it is suitable for almost all photographic applications, including but not limited to landscapes, night photography, interiors, weddings, photojournalism, and astrophotography.
- Optimized for Edge to Edge Sharpness on Both FX and DX-Format DSLRs
- When used on a DX-format DSLR, the angle of view is 44°, equivalent to a focal length of 52.5mm in the FX/35mm format.
- Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM)
- Enables fast, accurate and quiet autofocus.
- Rear Focus (RF)
- Provides smooth and fast autofocus while eliminating front barrel rotation and lens extension when focusing.
- Aspherical Lens Element
- One aspherical lens element reduces coma and other types of aberrations, even when shooting at the widest available aperture.
- Nano Crystal Coat
- Nano Crystal lens coating reduces ghosting and interior flare across a wide range of wavelengths for even greater image clarity.
- Rounded 9-Blade Circular Diaphragm
- Renders a more natural, pleasing appearance to out-of-focus image elements.
- M/A Focus Mode Switch
- Enables quick changes between manual and autofocus operation and seamless override of the AF system for precise manual focus when needed.