Panasonic's AG-3DA1 stakes its claim as the world's first integrated twin-lens Full HD 3D camcorder. Using cutting-edge technology and design, the AG-3DA1 delivers a new level of portability and convenience to 3D image capture. Its dual lenses and 3MOS image sensors each capture 1080i/p or 720p video to their own SD/SDHC Memory Card, using Panasonic's professional AVCHD format. Boasting frame rates of 24p, 25p, 30p, 50i/p, and 60i/p (60p in 720p only), as well as XLR audio, HDMI and professional HD-SDI outputs, the AG-3DA1 takes what was once a cumbersome 3D capture process and trims it down into a camera not much larger than a standard 2D camcorder. This combination of portability, state-of-the-art technology, and professional features allows the AG-3DA1 to affordably address the emerging need for 3D content in broadcast, industrial, and educational applications.
Twin Lens System
- Integrated Structure Revolutionizes Mobility for Nimble Camera Work
- Conventional rig-type 3D camera systems are large and heavy because they mount two existing cameras onto a robust frame. They also require a separate recording system and power supply unit, which makes the cable connection complex and restricts the location and the type of camera work. As a result, the scenes that can be acquired with a rig-type 3D camera system are limited. The compact body of the AG-3DA1 integrated twin-lens FULL HD 3D camera recorder weighs only 2.4 kg (5.3lb). It offers the same portability and mobility as a conventional 2D camera recorder for flexible image acquisition. The AG-3DA1 enhances camera work for all kinds of 3D image production.
- HD Twin-Lens with No Adjustment for Image Acquisition
- The distance between the two lens axes is approximately the same as the distance between the human eyes, to provide easy-to-view, natural-looking 3D images. The HD twin-lens system is set with a distance of about 2.3" (60mm) between the two lenses. The lens axes, viewing angle, rotation, and gradation are pre-adjusted before the components are precisely assembled. This eliminates the need for lens adjustment before shooting. Camera operations such as focusing, zooming and iris adjustment are also synchronized for the left and right lenses.
- Convergence Point Adjustment Function
- The parallax angle between the two lenses is varied inside the optical unit. This moves the convergence point (the reference plane of the 3D image) in a fore-and-aft direction to control the leaping and depth effects of recorded objects, and acquires natural-looking 3D images. The convergence point can be adjusted easily by using the CONV (convergence) dial while viewing the L/R-MIX image on the LCD monitor.
- Display Functions Assist 3D Image Acquisition
- The LCD monitor and viewfinder of the AG-3DA1 both display a variety of information to assist 3D image shooting and ensure superb 3D effects, including a 3D Guide, Convergence Point, and L/R-MIX Monitor Image Selector.
- Dual 3MOS for High-Quality FULL HD 3D Images
- The AG-3DA1 is equipped with two 1/4.1 type 2.07-megapixel (approx.) 3MOS units for left- and right-eye images. Full-pixel full-HD left- and right-eye images are accurately synchronized to create FULL HD 3D images.
- 6-Mode Gamma Includes "Cine-like" Mode
Drawing on technologies developed for the VariCam, Panasonic has equipped the AG-3DA1 with advanced gamma functions that address six different shooting scenarios and enhance your creative abilities.
HD NORM: Suitable for HD recording
LOW: Works to flatten out a high contrast scene
HIGH: Expands the tone of dark parts and makes a brighter image the contrast softens
B.PRESS: Makes the contrast sharper than LOW
CINE-LIKE D: The Cine-Like mode shifted to prioritize dynamic range
CINE-LIKE V: The Cine-Like mode shifted to prioritize contrast
- Advanced Image Adjustments Built-In
- Matrix Tables: Enable quicker color settings for each scene, with three modes: NORM1, NORM2 and CINE-LIKE.
- Knee point settings: Low, Mid and High
- Adjustable H detail level, V detail level, and detail coring
- Adjustable chroma level, chroma phase, color temp and master pedestal
- High Image Quality Color Viewfinder and LCD
- The AG-3DA1's color EVF uses a 0.45" (1.14cm) approx. 1,226,000 dots-equivalent (852 x 480 x 3 [RGB] ) LCOS (liquid crystal on silicon) display panel. This system delivers bright, detailed, high-resolution images and a high response speed. The AG-3DA1's LCD monitor is a 3.2" (8.13cm) panel with a 16:9 aspect ratio. With approx. 921,000 dots (1920 x 480), it boasts high resolution.
- Focus Assist Functions
- The AG-3DA1 has a focus ring for manual focusing, much like a conventional 2D camera recorder. As a focus assist function, a focus bar is displayed on the LCD monitor and viewfinder. The AG-3DA1 also features a PUSH AUTO button that temporarily activates the autofocus function.
- Simplified Waveform and Vectorscope Display
- The AG-3DA1 provides waveform and vectorscope display functions of the captured video signal on the LCD monitor.
- Two User Buttons
The AG-3A1 allows four functions to be assigned to two user buttons. Assigned functions can be accessed at the touch of a button.
R-IMAGE: Displays the right-eye image on the LCD monitor and viewfinder.
MIX: Overlays the left-eye image and right-eye image on the LCD monitor and viewfinder.
SHOT MARK: Records a shot mark.
INH: Pressing this button does not activate any function.
- Other Professional Camera Features
- White balance: Two memories (A/B) and Preset (3200K or 5600K).
- Mode check: Displays a list of the camera settings on the viewfinder and monitor.
- Zebra: Select any two levels from among 50% to 105%.
- Color bar and 1 kHz test-tone output.
- Tally lamps: Provided on the unit's front and rear.
- Superb Mobility for Low-Angle Shots
- Lightweight camera body weighs approximately 5.3 lbs (2.4kg). The upper part of the handle grip contains both the Rec Start/Stop button and a lens zoom control (with three speeds). This design assures easy shooting even at low angles. The excellent mobility of the AG-3DA1 allows flexible camera angles that are not possible with other 3D cameras.
Memory Card Recording
- File-Based Recording to Two Memory Cards
Using the two Left/Right memory card slots, the AG-3DA1 records left-channel and right-channel full-HD images simultaneously to two SD/SDHC Memory Cards. The solid-state memory card ensures high reliability and withstands operating temperatures of -25°C to 85°C (-13°F to 185°F). This enables use in harsh temperatures and fluctuating humidity. It is also free of dropouts and head clogging.
Use SDHC/SD Memory Cards of Class 4 or higher. SDXC cards cannot be used.
- HD Multi-format Recording
Multi-format HD recording in the AG-3DA1 responds to a host of 3D content production needs and worldwide applications. It supports the below HD video formats. The maximum recording time is approximately 180 minutes in each mode (when two 32 GB SDHC cards are mounted in the Left/Right slots).
- 59.94Hz mode: 1080/60i, 1080/30p (over 60i), 1080/24p (native), 720/60p
- 50Hz mode: 1080/50i, 1080/25p (over 50i), 720/50p
In Native mode, the AG-3DA1 records only active frames.
- AVCHD PH Mode for FULL HD 3D Recording
- The AG-3DA1 records in AVCHD PH mode, based on MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 High Profile, which is the latest video compression technology. With more than twice the compression efficiency of MPEG-2 (such as in HDV), AVCHD provides both high image quality and a low data rate. PH mode was developed by Panasonic exclusively for AVCCAM professional video production. Boasting 24 Mbps (average: 21 Mbps), which is the maximum bit rate for the AVCHD format, the AG-3DA1 records 1920 x 1080 full-pixel HD images. The multi-slice feature of the PH mode also helps to speed up processing by nonlinear editors that are equipped with multi-core CPUs, by using parallel processing to take full advantage of the CPU power.
- Versatile Solid-State Recording Functions
- Thumbnail View for easy playback or deletion of clips displayed on the LCD monitor
- Shot mark: Allows convenient OK and NG marking, and can be added to each clip during or after recording.
- Rec check: You can check the end of the most recently recorded clip with one-touch ease.
- Clip Metadata Function
- You can create a metadata upload file (produced with AVCCAM Viewer software) containing information such as clip name, the name of the camera operator, the recording location, and text memos on an SD/SDHC card, and load it as clip metadata. This information will be very useful when it comes to editing the project and quickly finding the right clip to place on the timeline.
- Professional-Level Audio Input
- The AG-3DA1 is equipped with two audio input channels for digital audio (Dolby Digital) recording. The AG-3DA1 also comes equipped with a built-in stereo microphone and with XLR-type audio input terminals (2 channels, mic/line switchable, 48V compatible) on the rear panel. You can switch audio channels 1 and 2 separately to either line or front mic input. Large level adjustment dials are easy to operate and offer high visibility.
- SMPTE Timecode Generator/Reader
- The built-in SMPTE timecode generator/reader lets you select the Drop Frame/Non-Drop Frame and Free Run/Rec Run modes, preset and regenerate. User bits are also provided.
- HD SDI Simultaneous Output with Sync-Rec Function
- HD SDI Left/Right terminals on the AG-3DA1 allow camera-through or playback left-channel/right-channel FULL HD 3D image output (simultaneous). This enables 3D images to be monitored on an optional BT-3DL2550 3D Video Monitor. When the external recorder is connected, line recording of camera-through FULL HD 3D video signals is also possible.
- HDMI 1.4a Output
- The AG-3DA1 features an HDMI 1.4a output terminal that outputs FULL HD 3D video signals for viewing on 3D VIERA and Panasonic 3D plasma displays. This terminal outputs camera-through signals or left-channel/right-channel FULL HD 3D playback signals. (HDMI output and HD SDI output cannot be used simultaneously.) 1
- 3D Compatible Camera Remote
- The camera remote terminal allows remote adjustment of the convergence point in addition to the focus, iris, zoom and REC start/stop.
3D System Workflow
- 3D Acquisition System
- Connecting the BT-3DL2550 3D LCD Video Monitor via HD SDI Dual-Link lets you view the stereo image so that you may adjust the 3D image to create the effect you want by varying the focus and convergence point.
- 3D Content Editing System
- 3D video data recorded by the AG-3DA1 can be edited by a computer-based (Windows/Mac), low-cost nonlinear editing system installed with a 3D editor plug-in (third-party software, sold separately) that supports existing AVCHD-compatible video editing. The use of files allows easy ingestion to a computer, much in the same way as in ordinary 2D image editing. The addition of the 3D plug-in also lets you adjust the 3D images. This plug-in produces a DVI-D video output so that images can be viewed and checked using the BT-3DL2550. Editing results can be saved in an external storage unit for handover to the subsequent process (MA/Blu-ray 3D authoring, etc.).
- File Operation with Windows PC or Mac
AVCCAM Viewer for Windows PC/Mac¹ makes it easy to preview AVCCAM files. Files can be played from an SD Memory Card, Blu-ray Disc, or hard disk, and saved to a PC (hard disk) from an SD Memory Card or Blu-ray Disc. Files can also be copied to an SD Memory Card or Blu-ray Disc² or deleted and metadata can be displayed.
¹ The software does not support 3D playback, 3D BD production or simultaneous management of two SD Memory Cards. Use the software individually for the left and right channels.
² Copying and playing data on Blu-ray Discs (BD-RE Ver 3.0) are not supported by Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger). Do not insert a disc [DVD (AVCHD)] produced with the provided HD Writer 2.5E software into a device that does not support the AVCHD standard. If it is inserted into such a device, the disc may not eject. Also, do not play the disc with a device that does not support the AVCHD standard.
- AVCCAM Restorer
- AVCCAM Restorer software can be used to restore files that were damaged, for example, by a power interruption during recording. This software also provides a repair function for 3D data files.