The Nucleus DAW Controller from Solid State Logic is a compact, portable desktop unit that provides an efficient hands-on operating control of DAW based music and film/TV post production. It allows you to record and monitor audio while operating your DAW without resorting to the mouse. The controller streamlines your workflow and helps you focus on the sound, and not your screen.
The unit combines DAW control, transparent SuperAnalog monitoring, high quality analog mic preamplifiers, a pro quality USB audio interface, and bundled SSL Duende Native plug-ins into a single solution.
The device's DAW Control is based on concepts developed for the SSL Matrix. Up to 3 different DAWs can be connected simultaneously and you can switch between them with the push of a single button. The controller uses either HUI or MCU protocols, ensuring compatibility with all leading DAW applications including Pro Tools, Logic, and Cubase / Nuendo. It can also transmit MIDI CC data as well as provide a complete set of dedicated and assignable hardware controls that can be easily customized to suit individual user preferences, for all major DAW and plug-in parameters. Two banks of 8 channels each provide 100mm motorized faders, fully user-definable soft keys, V-Pots, dedicated Select/Solo/Cut buttons, and 10-point channel level meters.
The center section DAW controls provide large heavy-duty transport buttons, a high-quality jog/shuttle wheel, bank channel/layer selection, navigation/global DAW parameter selection, and additional USB keyboard emulation buttons. Bright LCD Digital Scribble Strips, DAW audio level meters, self-illuminating buttons, and LED status indicators provide visual feedback even in low light conditions.
System configuration is possible via a remote SSL Logictivity browser that allows differing control profile sets to be stored and recalled. It is here that the user defines exactly how the controller behaves.
The Nucleus offers a vast combination of audio capabilities. At its foundation, is a SSL SuperAnalog signal path which provides a monitor output to separate 4 dBu & -10 dBV connections. A high quality 2 + 2-channel USB audio interface provides a record and playback path for your DAW.
Two Combi XLR mic/line/instrument level inputs can feed the audio interface and the monitor outputs simultaneously. Digital I/O via S/PDIF feeds the AD/DA of the audio interface (pre-insert) enabling both a digital to DAW record path and a mic/line/instrument to digital output path. The Digital input can use channels 3 and 4 of the audio interface so they can be recorded to separate channels in your DAW in parallel to the incoming analog mic/line/instrument inputs. Additionally, a wet/dry control enables balancing of analog (and digital) input and DAW playback for zero latency record monitoring.
The unit's mic pre’s are SSL SuperAnalog Mic Pre’s, identical to those used on the SSL Duality and AWS consoles and the X-Rack system. These mic pre’s give the device a professional, standard, and transparent microphone recording path. They include 80 Hz high pass filters, phase reverse, and phantom power controls .
A pair of insert send/return connections are provided for incorporating external processing or effects into the default mic/line/instrument inputs. They can be moved across to the DAW playback for mixdown. An additional external stereo analog input provides a transparent SuperAnalog monitor path for another audio interface, or any other analog device. Also, there is an accurate analog output level meter and a stereo mini-jack connection that makes monitoring from an iPod or any other portable audio device straightforward. Dual headphone outputs complete the system's monitoring options.
The Nucleus connects to your computer via a high speed Ethernet port for DAW control. It also features a USB connection and appears to your host computer as a standard keyboard, which enables emulating key commands. There are also four USB ports on the back which allow the device to operate as a USB hub. A standard footswitch jack connection is also included and an SD card slot is provided for storing profiles.
The Nucleus DAW Controller includes the Duende Native Essentials Bundle. This includes the new Duende Native versions of the SSL Channel EQ & dynamics and stereo bus compressor VST/AU/RTAS plug-ins. The eq & dynamics channel is the classic SSL Console Channel Strip with 4-band parametric eq, compressor/expander, gate, high pass, and low pass filters. The Duende Native Bus Compressor is the sound of the classic SSL Stereo Bus Compressor from the 1980's G Series analog console delivered in plug-in form.
- Connects computer and controller using high speed Ethernet port
- DAW Compatibility
- Works with ProTools, Logic, Cubase / Nuendo, and all major DAW applications
- Multiple DAW Connections
- Switches between three connected DAW's with a single button press
- Provides two banks of 8-channel controls plus centre section controls
- Provides touch sensitive 16 x 100mm motorized faders
- Channel Labeling and Assignable Controls
- Offers digital scribble strips with assignable V-Pots and soft keys
- Features 16x assignable endless rotary V-Pot encoders
- Provides completely user customizable DAW and key command mapping
- Browser Configuration
- Enables Remote Logictivity Browser for effortless configuration
- SD Card
- Provides non-volatile project storage
- Transport Controls
- Offers large heavy duty transport buttons and high quality jog / shuttle wheel
- Visual Feedback
- Offers good visual feedback via self-illuminating buttons, LED's and DAW level metering
- SuperAnalogue Circuitry
- Features benchmark SuperAnalogue quality output to separate 4 dBu & -10 dBV connections
- USB Interface
- Includes professional USB audio interface with 44.1 to 192 kHz, 24-bit resolution
- Analog Inputs
- Offers two Combi XLR mic/line/instrument level inputs to audio interface and monitor outputs
- Digital I/O
- Features S/PDIF I/O to the AD/DA of the audio interface
- Enables zero latency record monitoring with wet/dry control to balance input and DAW playback
- Microphone Preamps
- Features SSL SuperAnalogue mic preamplifiers that are identical to those used on SSL Duality and AWS consoles
- Input Controls
- Feature 80 Hz high pass filters, phase reverse, and phantom power
- Features send/return insert connections switched between inputs and DAW playback for mixdown
- Additional Input Path
- Provides external SuperAnalogue input monitor path for another audio interface
- Headphone Outputs
- Provides two headphone outputs and one iJack monitor input (stereo 3.5 mm jack socket, Zi = 10k)
- Includes a standard 1/4" jack footswitch connection
- USB Hub
- Features four USB sockets for use as a 4 port USB hub
- Provides up to 75 dB gain
- Phantom Power
- Features selectable 48V phantom power
- Includes stop, play, record, fast forward, and rewind controls
- Jog Wheel
- Provides navigation wheel with jog, shuttle, nudge, and track modes