The heart of the Bowens QUADX 2-Head Studio Kit is the QUADX 3000 generator (power pack). The word professional is often bandied about when talking about equipment but whether you make your living as photographer or you just like using great gear the QUADX has top-of-the line features that will make you happy.
The first thing you notice is the power. With 3000W/s distributed symmetrically or asymmetrically over 4 head outlets, there isn't a lot you won't be able to photograph. But what's power without control? The QUADX pack lets you vary the power in each channel (A or B) across 6.6 stops in precise 1/10 stop increments.
Ideal for subjects in motion like dancers, the QUADX recycles to full power at a fast 2.6 seconds while retaining a consistent 5800K color temperature within +/-2%. It does it with flash durations as short as 1/1430 sec. at full power or 1/7100 sec at 250 W/s. The included 3000W/s QUADX flash heads (2) are equipped with UV flashtubes which warm that 5800K output to an ideal 5300K +/- 300K. You can swap bright 300W modeling lamps with lamps up to 650W.
Other great features include auto bracketing, flash triggering delay and IR and optical slaves.
QUADX Power Pack
- Precision Power Controls and Repeatable Performance
- Digital capturing devices require a much greater degree of exposure accuracy than film materials. The QUADX lets you control the flash output of each head in 1/10 stop increments and offers repeatable output flash after flash, which is ideal for multi-shot camera backs.
- Consistent Color and Short Flash Durations
- The unique power-management system of the QUADX constantly monitors and adjusts capacitor performance to ensure complete output accuracy and consistency, retaining a color temperature of 5800K, ±2%. The unit's capacitor switching delivers greater color consistency over the entire power range in addition to providing flash durations as short as 1/1430 sec. with a single head at full power (1/7100 sec. with two heads at 250W/s).
- Most Efficient Charging System
- The QUADX features an advanced charging system that is extremely efficient and extends the life of the pack's capacitors. The automatic mode provides a slow initial charge when the unit is switched on and then, by monitoring the temperature of the capacitors, offers the fastest possible recharging times.
- The QUADX Control Panel
- The control panel of the QUADX is simple and intuitive to use. Power is divided into two independent channels, A and B, one having a maximum power of 2000W/s (A), the other (B) 1000W/s. Each channel controls two flash-head outlets in 1/10-stop increments. When more than one head is used in the same channel, the power of that channel will be divided equally between those two heads. When a head is connected to Channel B, the pack automatically becomes asymmetric. Once lighting ratio or contrast levels are set, power level adjustments can be made to achieve perfect exposures.
- Advanced QUADX Features
- With its sophisticated circuitry, the QUADX gives the photographer access to many advanced features including trigger delay, flash counter, joules/percentage display, multi-flash mode, memory function and more.
- Auto Bracketing
- Bracketing flash exposures is easy with the QUADX. You can set up to three bracketing intervals from 1/10 to 9/10 stop and monitor the bracketing sequence and see what each power level will be on the LCD display.
- Infrared Remote
- The QUADX features an IR remote control system that allows the photographer full control of the pack from up to 30' (10 m). (Requires Pulsar Radio Trigger, purchased separately.)
- Head Failure Indication
- The QUADX will indicate that a head has failed to fire and the pack will not fire again until that head is switched off.
- Special Effect Modes
- Choose from trigger delay, trigger skip and multi-trigger setup to fire up to nine packs at different intervals or sequentially.
- Overload Protection
- The QUADX has two cut-out switches that can be quickly reset should any overload be experienced.
QUAD System Flash Head
- Fast, Powerful, Fan-cooled
- The QUADX flash head is fan-cooled and capable of handling up to 3000W/s. The user-changeable flash tube features a three-electrode design to deliver the fastest possible flash duration. A UV-balanced Pyrex dome ensures color integrity and security. The fan-cooled QUADX head will handle up to 650W modeling lamps (300W included) for maximum brightness.
- Full Line of Reflectors and Accessories
- When coupled with the full line of Bowens S-Type reflectors and light control accessories, this system will give you unmatched lighting versatility and unlimited creative capabilities.