Canon's VIXIA HF R20 Flash Memory Camcorder is a mid-range high definition camera that's packed with useful features and functions. Record 1920 x 1080 video to the R20's 8GB internal flash memory or to SD/SDHC or SDXC cards using the dual memory card slots. The 3.28MP CMOS sensor, Canon HD Video Lens, a 3.0" LCD, and basics like zoom options and the image stabilizer all work together to help you capture that stunningly detailed and crisp footage.Should you want to go beyond the everyday, or even let the camera do the heavy-lifting for you, shooting controls help you capture great videos in a variety of settings. With the camera choosing the settings or tracking a face you'll be able to focus on the moment. Additional features of the camera include a built-in digital camera, 24p and 30p frame modes, and even headphone and microphone jacks. With the HF R20 there is a world of creative options at your fingertips. Everything from advanced audio capture to media options. When you've finished recording and you're ready to edit, share, upload, and archive, the camcorder comes complete with the just the tools you need. Canon's Pixela Video Browser software helps you trim, reorder, add music, titles, and more to your videos. The software also helps transfer and store your footage as well as share it on the web.
- Flash Memory
The VIXIA HF R20 allows you to record up to 3 hours of crisp high definition video to an 8GB internal flash drive or to two removable SD memory cards. With Relay Recording, the camcorder automatically switches video recording from the internal drive to the next available SD memory card when the memory becomes full. No need then to worry about running out of recording time during a thrilling, once-in-a-lifetime shot. With SDXC memory card compatibility, you'll have card storage capacity from more than 32GB up to 2TB and ultra-fast data transfer speeds.
You'll also have the flexibility of copying video from your VIXIA HF R20's internal drive to the removable SD memory cards. That makes it easy to insert the card into your computer or HDTV's card reader and view your recorded footage immediately.
The advantages of flash memory go beyond the added recording time. You'll also appreciate the quick response time, because there are no moving parts. Press the record button and your VIXIA HF R20 starts recording video faster than you've ever seen before. In addition, when you review, you'll have quick access to your footage
- Canon 3.2MP Full HD CMOS Image Sensor
- Canon's expertise in imaging technology is clearly seen in its superb EOS digital SLR cameras. The VIXIA family of camcorders is also a part of this achievement with Canon's own Full HD CMOS Image Sensor. It brings stunning high definition video quality with exceptional low light performance, capturing video at 1920 x 1080 resolution and with remarkable detail
- Ultra-Sleek and Lightweight
- Ultra-sleek, compact, and lightweight, the VIXIA HF R20 is, at approximately 9.5 ounces and 2.4" x 2.4" x 4.8", a companion you'll always keep handy while traveling or at home
- Low Power Consumption
- Another plus is the VIXIA HF R20's low power consumption rate, allowing your battery to last longer. It's just what you need so you don't miss that pivotal play on the field or the moment when they say "I do"
- Shock Resistant
- While we certainly hope you keep your VIXIA HF R20 securely in your hand while shooting, if it happens to slip, or you accidentally knock it against something, you'll be happy to know that flash memory makes your camcorder more shock resistant than other recording storage systems. It also minimizes the chance of data loss if you accidentally jolt or drop your camcorder
- Genuine Canon HD Video Lens with 28x Advanced Zoom
- A Genuine Canon HD Video Lens with 28x Advanced Zoom delivers truly impressive image quality. Its aspherical lens minimizes spherical aberration, meaning sharper focus on your subject. With Advanced Zoom, you can seamlessly zoom both wide and long, retaining optical quality throughout the zoom range. The zoom is quiet, and optimized for flash camcorders
- Canon's DIGIC DV III Image Processor
- Together with the Canon Exclusive 3.2MP full HD CMOS image sensor and Canon's own DIGIC DV III Image Processor, this lens helps you capture high definition video and photos with astonishing detail, vivid color and enhanced reproduction of the full tonal range, including the most difficult purple and blue shades
- 24Mbps Recording
- With 24Mbps recording, video is captured at the highest bit rate in AVCHD. You get exceptionally lifelike tone and exacting detail
- Dynamic IS
- With the Canon VIXIA HF R20, you can be sure that even on the move your video will be smooth, steady and professional looking. The Dynamic IS system provides continuous adjustment throughout the entire zoom range to correct a broader range of motion. In comparison to conventional electronic image stabilization systems, extra compensation is applied at wide-angle focal lengths to eliminate unwanted vibration common when shooting while walking
- 3.0" Touch Panel LCD
- See exceptional detail with a sharp 230,000 dot screen delivering brilliant color together with touch panel control for faster and easier menu navigation. Touch Focus lets you tap the subject on the touch panel to shift the focus for recording. It's that simple. You have Touch & Track, which allows you to get precise focus and exposure on any subject, people, vehicles, fast moving athletes and more, by selecting your choice right on the touch panel LCD. Touch Exposure adjusts the exposure on the area of your image where you touch and sets the brightness needed. You may also drag on the panel to adjust the level
- Touch Decoration
- While shooting, Touch Decoration can be activated via the Touch Panel LCD allowing you to superimpose and record a variety of fun and exciting images along with your video. Animations such as shooting stars, thought bubbles, and others, freehand drawing, stamps, and various decorative frames can be added to give your video an amusing and creative flair
- Smart Auto
- Smart Auto makes shooting great video easier than ever before. Using the power of Canon's DIGIC DV III Image Processor, the VIXIA HF R20 intelligently detects and analyzes faces, brightness, color, distance, and movement, then automatically selects the best settings for the scene. Whether you are capturing a sunset, a day at the beach, or a fast-paced soccer game, Smart Auto delivers exceptionally accurate results
- Tele Macro
- And with new Tele Macro, the VIXIA HF R20 automatically zooms the lens to the telephoto end and sets the minimum object distance to approximately 1.3 feet (from 3.3 feet) giving you the opportunity to shoot spectacular close-ups with the dramatic look of shallow depth of field. Tele Macro is one of 38 scenes available in Smart Auto Mode
- Genuine Canon Face Detection
The same high quality Face Detection technology used in Canon digital cameras is available in Canon high definition camcorders. Up to 35 faces can be tracked automatically, ensuring razor-sharp focus and natural, accurate exposure. Of the faces tracked, 9 detection frames can be displayed at one time.
In fact, the system is so intelligent that it will recognize faces turned downwards or sideways. In addition, a specific face may be selected as the main subject for continuous tracking. This feature is convenient in searching for clips which feature that specific subject's face. In search and playback, use of the Face Index will display those frames with the chosen face as a thumbnail in each shot in which it appears. Your selected face can also be linked as a timeline to further identify footage containing your subject
- Advanced Video Snapshot
- Advanced Video Snapshot allows you to capture the highlights of a once in a lifetime trip or a family milestone with the same ease as taking photos. Simply record a series of short video clips - or select your favorite clips while in Playback Mode - and blend in your favorite background music to create an exciting movie that will hold everyone's attention. This version of Advanced Video Snapshot allows selectable recording time of 2, 4, or 8 seconds. Additionally, audio from an external source, such as an MP3 player, can be played along with the snapshot movie, and playback can be controlled from that source
- Easy Web Sharing
- HD-to-SD Downconversion allows you to convert recorded high definition video to standard definition files while safely preserving the original HD video. These standard definition files make it even more convenient to edit or share video online. The video can be transferred to your computer via traditional methods - i.e. USB connection, card slot - or wirelessly to sharing sites with an Eye-Fi SD memory card.The VIXIA HF R20 is also compatible with the Eye-Fi SD memory card. It's possible to wirelessly transfer video and photos to your computer, or upload them directly to online sharing sites (e.g., Facebook, YouTube, Shutterfly, Flickr) in a few simple steps. Insert an Eye-Fi SD memory card into the SD card slot on the camcorder, configure your computer to select the target site and you're ready to share your files with family, friends, and the world! 1
- Built-In Digital Camera
Since Canon is acknowledged as a leading maker of digital cameras, it's not surprising that the VIXIA HF R20, in addition to being a camcorder, is also a very capable digital camera. Once again, Canon delivers features and technology that advance convenience and capability.
The VIXIA HF R20 comes with a Level Marker feature to keep your camera level for more professional-looking photos. The VIXIA HF R20's Grid Marker feature lets you compose your shot accurately, according to the grid in your viewfinder. You can even choose from two different colors for the grid ensuring that you see the grid, no matter what the background color of your shot is.
The versatile VIXIA HF R20 even lets you capture a still image from an already recorded movie. While playing the movie in your camcorder, simply press the photo button to capture a 1920 x 1080 still image onto an SD card or to internal memory. Additionally, the VIXIA HF R20 allows you to capture 30 photos from one second of video. Now, better photos, filled with action and expressions, are easy to grab, print, post and share
- 24p & 30p Frame Modes
24p Cinema Mode enables all aspiring moviemakers to achieve a professional "film-look." You can change the camcorder's frame capture rate to 24p (recorded at 60i), which provides the appearance of the same frame rate as movie film. In addition, you can use the VIXIA HF R20's CINE mode, which changes the color and tonal characteristics, evoking the look and feel of a movie shown in a theater. For added flexibility, these settings can be used together or independently.
You would normally have to look to professional video cameras in order to find a sophisticated tool like 30p Progressive Mode at your command. In addition to the standard interlaced video frame rate of 60i, you may choose to set the VIXIA HF R20 to capture video in 30p, (30 progressive frames, recorded to 60i) which is particularly useful for footage to be used on the Internet. It's also excellent for action and sports shots. In addition, this setting gives enhanced quality to photos captured after recording
- Terminals & Audio
To maximize the usefulness and versatility of the VIXIA HF R20, you'll find a range of terminals to extend the capabilities of your camcorder. Easy, one-cable connectivity to your HDTV is achieved through the VIXIA HF R20's HDMI terminal which also supports CEC and x.v.Color. A mini HDMI cable is included with the camcorder. This camcorder also features 1080p output, converting 1080i video to 1080p through the HDMI terminal.
A microphone terminal with manual audio level control and a headphone terminal provide exceptional audio adaptability. For the ultimate in flexibility, the VIXIA HF R20 is compatible with the optional Canon wireless microphone WM-V1. Using a receiver which plugs into the microphone terminal, its audio can be captured from up to 164 feet (50m) away. Use it to record audio from a distant subject, or as a transceiver to cue shooting from a third party
- Express Your Color Preference
- The VIXIA HF R20's sleek, compact form can be had in your choice of three stunning colors, black, red or silver. Express your creative vision even before you begin to shoot and make this camcorder a fashion statement wherever you take it.
- Focus Assist
- To enhance focusing capability, the VIXIA HF R20 also features Focus Assist. This helps in capturing your subject in razor-sharp focus. It works by providing a 2x magnification of your subject, which is automatically cancelled when you start recording. This is a feature normally found in professional broadcast-quality cameras.
- Filter Threads
- Filter threads on the lens of the VIXIA HF R20 give it compatibility with the Canon TL-H34 II tele-converter and WD-H34 II wide-converter. With these converters, you can expand the shooting range of the lens for greater creative options
- Built-In Electronic Lens Cover
- The built-in electronic lens cover means you never have to go looking for your lens cover again. Turn your camcorder on and the lens cover automatically opens. Turn it off, and the cover closes. It couldn't be simpler
- Intelligent Battery
- The Intelligent lithium-ion battery accurately indicates remaining battery time down to the minute
- Quick Start
- Never miss a quickly unfolding shot again, as it's possible to shoot the moment the LCD is opened. No worries about using up power with Quick Start - by keeping the LCD screen closed between shots, Quick Start allows you to save battery power so you get longer battery life
- The Pre-Record feature places your VIXIA HF R20 in a stand-by "pre-roll" mode. With this feature the camcorder continuously records three seconds of video to memory before you even press the record button. When you start recording, the additional video is recorded too. It will be easier than ever to capture the moment when the bat hits the ball at the start of that home run
- Pixela Video Browser Software
Pixela Video Browser software is bundled with the VIXIA HF R20. You can easily perform a variety of functions, including AVCHD Editing in which you can trim, reorder, and combine scenes, as well as add music, titles, and transitions. This software also allows you to play your AVCHD movies on your computer and will let you share copies of your movie with friends and family through flash memory to hard drive copying. Transfer and store your movie onto your computer's hard drive with the software and easily convert your high definition video to standard definition video as well. This software will also assist you in converting video to the optimum resolution for transmission over the Internet
The bundled application is compatible with Windows XP (Service Pack 2 and 3), Windows Vista, and Windows 7