If your computer only has a FireWire 800 port, there's no need to throw out your older FireWire 400 devices. The Yin-Yang Firewire 800 to Firewire 400/800 Mini Hub from Sonnet is a small, rugged, super-straightforward device that can make your life a little easier. About as big as a matchbox, the Yin-Yang features a FireWire 400 port and a FireWire 800 port on one end. On the other end, it features a FireWire 800 connector. Can you guess what it does? You can connect to the Yin-Yang both a FireWire 800 device and a FireWire 400 device, such as a DV camcorder, an external drive, or an older generation iPod, for instance. Of note, the Yin-Yang only supports one bus-powered device, such as a 2.5" external hard drive. From there, all you need to do is connect the Yin-Yang's FireWire 800 connector to your computer and you're in business. Plus, you can disconnect and connect different devices without having to install drivers or shut off your system. If you want to know the meaning of life, the Yin-Yang definitely can't tell you but it will make your life a little easier.
- Provides a simple way to connect both a FireWire 400 device and a FireWire 800 device at the same time to a single FireWire 800 port on your computer
- Supports concurrent data transfers to and from two attached devices at 800 Mb/s and 400 Mb/s, respectively
- Operates without an external power supply
- Supports one bus-powered device on either port, such as an external hard drive
- Allows you to plug in and disconnect peripherals without shutting off your computer
- The Ying-Yang is small, rugged, and highly portable