Sony continues to raise the bar with the introduction of its rain- and dust-proof HXR-NX70U NXCAM Compact Camcorder. This rugged little trouper is the perfect companion for those tough location shoots where weather and climate cause lesser cameras to buckle and fold. Meeting stringent dustproof and rainproof requirements, the NX70U's sealed body keeps out all but the toughest of elements, making it ideal for documentary and news videographers traveling to far-flung, unpredictable locations.
But beneath the NX70U's weatherproofing is a first-class performer that hits all the professional sweet spots. Its back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor combines with an ultra wide 26.3-263mm Sony G lens and Optical SteadyShot to provide outstanding full HD 1080p images even in low light. The Dual Rec function, meanwhile, lets you shoot 12.3MP stills while recording video, all of which can be captured to the unit's spacious 96GB embedded flash memory or your choice of Memory Stick or SD/SDHC media.
And just because the NX70U is small doesn't mean it stints on professional features and controls. An assignable lens ring gives you manual control over focus, zoom, or iris, while the detachable handle with dual XLR inputs--and an on-camera shotgun mic--provides the option of recording 2-channel audio using high-end external microphones. Helping you nail focus and exposure are the zebra and peaking indicators, which can be viewed through either the large viewfinder or high-resolution 3.5" touchscreen LCD.
Documentarians in particular will find the built-in GPS receiver useful, as it allows you to "tag" your locations for logging and future reference, with all GPS data extractable to a PC and mappable via Google's mapping service. And if achieving a more cinematic look is your thing, then the camera offers 24p recording to supplement its standard 60p, along with CinemaTone technology to provide realistic, film-like skin tones to your footage.
So step outside, grit your teeth against the rain and sand, and hit Record: the NX70U will capture the scene and live to tell the tale.
- Rain- and Dust-Proof Performance
You can be confident rainy or dusty shooting environments will not affect the reliable operation of the HXR-NX70 thanks to its IEC60529 IP54 rating. The camcorder's sealed body design makes sure that harmful sand and large dust particles do not get inside.
A waterproof performance rating of IPx4 means that the main camera body is protected against rain showers and water splashes. However, it should not be submerged underwater or sprayed with pressurized water from a tap or hose. When used with accessories such as an external microphone, a rain cover should be used to protect the accessory and connection. IP5x rating does not guarantee 100% protection against exposure to extremely fine particles.
- Ultra Wide Angle 26.3mm G lens
- Engineered for superior optical performance, Sony G lenses deliver brilliant, accurate color reproduction and sharp, amazingly detailed images. In addition, the 26.3mm focal length offers a broader perspective than previous lenses for enhanced wide angle shooting so you can capture more of the scene when close in.
- Assignable Lens Ring (Focus/Zoom/Iris)
- Get the most out of your camcorder with enhanced manual controls. The assignable lens ring allows for manual adjustment of focus, iris, and zoom settings so you have complete creative control.
- Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization with Active Mode
- Optical SteadyShot image stabilization with Active Mode provides superior compensation for camera shake to deliver stunningly smooth video from wide angle to full telephoto shooting. In addition, the innovative 3-Way Shake-Canceling feature adds electronic roll stability for even smoother video capture.
- Back-Illuminated Exmor R CMOS Sensor
- Journalists rarely shoot under studio lighting conditions and Sony's back-illuminated Exmor R CMOS sensor delivers stunning lowlight sensitivity with improved image clarity and drastically reduced grain. Designed for compact cameras and camcorders, the Exmor R sensor relocates the photo diodes above the support circuitry, maximizing the light-gathering area per pixel so you can shoot with better results in lowlight conditions. The sensitivity is roughly double that of conventional CMOS sensors of the same size and pixel size.
- 1920 x 1080 Full HD 60/24p Recording & 12.3MP Still Images
- The compact HXR-NX70 shoots in full high-definition quality (1920 x 1080) with a choice of 60p, 60i and 24p frame rates. It can also simultaneously shoot 12.3-megapixel (4672 x 2628) still images. It also supports playback via HDMI and compatible HDTV, for complete flexibility in reviewing your footage.
- 96GB Embedded Flash Memory for Up to 40 hours of HD Recording
- Built-in flash memory provides extra capacity, ideal when working remotely, as well as providing additional workflow options for backup and sharing content. 96GB embedded flash memory can record and store up to 40 hours of high definition video footage in HD LP mode.
- 3.5" Touchscreen XtraFine LCD display (921K)
- The large 3.5" (16:9) XtraFine LCD screen (921K) displays sharp, bright, vivid images, letting you compose a shot more easily and alter settings to best represent the scene, even when outdoors in bright lighting conditions.
- XLR Adapter with Selectable Phantom Power + Shotgun Mic
The detachable handle has a compact, ergonomic design. Two balanced XLR audio inputs are built in with phantom power and attenuation options that professional shooters require for clean sound quality. Default audio settings for XLR recording are highlighted in green for easy reference in the field in order to reduce operator error under difficult lighting conditions.
The ECM-XM1 shotgun microphone mounted on top of the handle provides audio recording performance similar to larger shoulder-mounted ENG style cameras.
- Geotagging with Built-in GPS Receiver
A built-in GPS receiver makes the HXR-NX70 an ideal choice for professional videographers. The receiver gives you the ability to "geo-tag" shooting locations--making it easy if you need to return to the same location or create a log when surveying remote locations. Your locations can be tracked on Google maps and all GPS data can be extracted with a PC.
Additionally, the receiver automatically adjusts your camcorder's clock to the proper time zone when international travel is part of your assignment.
- Direct Copy to External HDD without PC
Store content or back up important shots by copying footage directly from your camcorder to an external hard disk drive (sold separately) without using a computer. The HXR-NX70 can also access videos stored on an external hard drive for playback on HDTV, allowing you to utilize the camcorder's handy playback features.
Note: Direct Copy is compatible with USB media that meets the following requirements: USB 2.0 or higher and formatted in FAT32 file system. It is recommended that external HDD is AC powered. The HXR-NX70 must be connected to AC power when using Direct Copy. VMC-UAM1 cable is supplied to connect HXR-NX70 with USB media, however connection via USB hub is not supported. There may be cases when USB media is not compatible with the Direct Copy function.