The 77mm Indie Plus HV Filter Kit from Tiffen is a complete filter outfit (4 filters) for the outdoor shooter who wishes to create special effects without having to put in any post-production time. This combination of neutral density filters and a polarizer gives you the freedom to make some unique and effective images that would ordinarily not be possible. The kit contains a 1.5 (5 stop), 1.8 (6 stop), 2.1 (7 stop) set of ND filters plus an Ultra Circular Polarizing filter.
Neutral Density filters permit you to use slower shutter speeds that can produce blurred effects of nature, sports or any action you choose, i.e. flowing water, birds in flight, cars - just about anything you can think of. It also permits you to shoot on the beach or in bright light when using high speed ISO ratings by enabling slower shutter speeds to be employed. Irrespective of the medium you are using such as film, digital, video or cine, neutral density filters are quite valuable and should be a part of any shooter's arsenal of tools. There are people who even use them on their iPhone to capture interesting images when a traditional camera isn't handy.
Neutral Density filters allow you to shoot under conditions that would normally be impossible to shoot under - particularly outside in snow, beach or extreme bright light scenarios. For the landscape photographer, irrespective of the format you use (film, digital, video or cine), this filter is almost a necessity because it permits you to maintain creative control over a tough lighting venue while still maintaining proper exposure.
The Ultra Circular Polarizer is a wonderful filter designed to bring significantly more "snap" to your images. If a traditional polarizer doesn't give you enough "zip", the "Ultra" polarizer gives you a little more. It will bump up your blue skies even more - making the difference between a good photo and a great image. It also brings out clouds even more than a traditional polarizer. It can also be used to eliminate reflections from glass or water.
Tiffen uses the highest quality Water White Glass that contains an anti-glare and anti-reflective coating. This glass reduces the greenish tint sometimes common in standard glass. Water White Glass permits accurate color transmission. It is clear to the eye and is characterized by an optically pure composition that delivers the highest caliber of image possible.
Neutral Density Filters Have Four Main Uses
- Enables slow shutter speeds to be used with high speed ISO ratings; create dramatic images with blurred movement in subjects such as waterfalls, clouds, or cars
- Permits greater creative control by allowing wider apertures to be used which helps separate subjects from their background
- Reduces the amount of light entering the lens - allows use of slower shutter speeds with higher ISO settings on digital cameras, high-speed films, video and cine cameras
- It is always difficult to use film, digital or video cameras under bright light conditions such as snow, sand or other bright scenes since these conditions can easily cause overexposure. This filter removes the challenge of recording images under these conditions by permitting the photographer to control the proper exposure while still maintaining creative control
- Ultra Circular Polarizer
- Increases contrast in the sky and brings out the cloud formations to a higher degree than Tiffen's standard circular polarizer
- Can be rotated to whatever degree of polarization you desire
- Can be combined with other filters to create even more dramatic effects
- Maximum polarization is achieved when it is used at 90° to the sun
- Water White glass, using Tiffen's ColorCore technology, is characterized by a high transmission quality. Typically, it will transmit 98-99% of the light. It also features an anti-glare and anti-reflective quality that makes it useful in a wide range of uses including the movie theater industry, store and art displays. The glass is virtually defect-free and is becoming more and more prevalent in digital equipment
- Top Hollywood motion picture studios rely on Tiffen filters for their multi-million-dollar productions Superior quality and design make Tiffen the overwhelming choice of moviemakers, professional photographers and even NASA
- Tiffen has also been awarded an Emmy, from the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, for its engineering excellence
- Tiffen, a leader in the filter industry, proudly makes its filters in the USA and backs up its products with a solid 10-year warranty