LED light sources for image makers have been around for quite some time now, with everyone throwing their hat in the ring regarding on-camera versions and a few big players producing large free-standing panels. When uber-tech innovator, Academy Award winner Dedolight weighs in with a new panel, however, it tends to cause a stir.
It's called the Felloni and was reportedly named by Dedolight founder Dedo Weigert, himself. Is it a play on Fellini, substituting the "o" from Dido? Opinions vary but what doesn't is the buzz that this is an extraordinary light. Or should we say 30 lights? The lights are produced in 3 general categories, Standard (324 LEDs), High Output (576 LEDs) and Low Profile (324 LEDs). Within each of these categories are tungsten, daylight and bicolor iterations and within these sub-categories are 15°, 30° and 50° units. What they all have in common are claims of higher output with lower power consumption than competitors, a CRI of 84 and V-Mount, and D-Tap battery interfaces. All versions come with a multi-voltage AC power supply, diffuser, metal filter holder strips and an 8' cable to dismount the on-board dimmer and turn it into a wired remote.
This Dedolight Felloni Tecpro 15° High Output Daylight LED Light runs on 576 LEDs and has a spot beam angle which makes it ideal for longer throw applications or situations requiring higher output. Nearly doubling the amount of LEDs enables the Felloni to produce nearly double the output as compared to the Standard Version. The narrow beam angle is also perfect for controlling spill light and for edge or side lighting purposes. The 1 x 1', 4.4 lb panel is virtually heat-free, so you can squeeze it into places where other lights just can't go without worrying about harming the talent. It's also rainproof and upgradable with the purchase of an LCD dimmer or DMX module. A wireless DMX module is in the works.
- More than 30% more light than leading competitor in this High Output version
- 50% less power consumption than competitive products: 24 W instead of 50 W
- Improved color rendition over competitive products: up to CRI 84 instead of 74
- Distance Diffuser reduces glare noticeably and provides identical light output with the diffuser on, to the Felloni's main competitive product without a diffuser. Bottom line: more power.
- AC adapter included
- Magnetic front frame for filter holder strips
- V-Mount and D-Tap battery interfaces
- The standard (on board) dimmer module is detachable and attached to an 8' (2.5 m) cable, may be used as a remote wired hand dimmer.
- The Felloni can be upgraded with an LCD dimmer or DMX module. A wireless module is in the works and will afford dimming control over 512 channels.