Sony wants to introduce you to their Alpha SLT-A77 DSLR Digital Camera with 16-50mm f/2.8 DT Lens Kit. This DSLR has a number of things going for it, not the least of which is the 24.3Mp sensor. Think of all the possibilities 24.3 megapixels of resolution has: mural sized prints, incredible detail, rich color, and more! If you've been craving the pixel power of the medium format back, but in a DSLR rig, now your wait is over.
Sony also gave the A77 their 2nd generation Translucent Mirror Technology system. What does this technology do? It allows the camera to focus with the speed and accuracy of Phase Detection AF and shoot simultaneously. This is an unheard of capability in the world of digital photography, well until now, that is. The camera also boasts Sony's upgraded BIONZ image processor. The processor performs many functions, including efficiently transferring shot data to the chip in your memory card. It also reduces visual noise, and ensures that functions such as 6-image layering and 2D/3D Sweep Panorama work smoothly, and with the necessary speed.
Included with the A77 is the Sony 16-50mm f/2.8 DT Standard Zoom Lens which has a 35mm focal length equivalent of 24-75mm. Its maximum aperture is f/2.8 and that is constant throughout the zoom range, so even if you are shooting at full zoom you will have the ability to shoot at fast shutter speeds and with shallow depth of field. A Super Sonic Wave Motor provides smooth, silent and fast autofocus and aspheric and extra-low dispersion lens elements provide sharper images with accurate colors.
More than a still camera, the SLT-A77 also captures high-quality 1920 x 1080p AVCHD video at 60p or 24p. You can also choose to record at 60i. HD movies can also be captured with full manual control. That means the entire mode dial is at your disposal: Program, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, and Manual. Live View, Full-Time Live View (in LCD or EVF) are also available for use as is Full-Time Phase Detection AF. The latter of course being an intelligent way to correct focus automatically, while you concentrate on the scene at hand.
What the DSLR also offers, above and beyond most less-sophisticated cameras, is a viewfinder, the way all your heroes used to shoot. The A77's OLED viewfinder gets your eye off the LCD screen and into the right situation for capturing successful images. Like all viewfinders, this one keeps distractions and glare at bay. But what the OLED viewfinder does that's above and beyond the pack includes a reduction of motion blur on the Tru-Finder screen. The OLED features 2359K dots of resolution and a high contrast ratio. It also allows you to see the results of camera adjustments in real time with true-to-life color and detail.
Of course, the SLT-A77 does have an LCD screen too, but not just any monitor. This one tilts and swivels for everything from hard-to-get shots to successful reviewing of footage in harsh lighting conditions - and easier self-portraits. When it's not in use, the screen folds flat to the camera for safe storage and traveling.
As far as shooting performance is concerned, in regards to all things internal on the camera, the A77 backs up those 24.3Mp with the kinds of features and functions one would expect. First, the camera supports burst shooting up to 12 frames per second at full resolution, that's great news for sports photographers. The A77 also boasts a super-short lag time of only 0.05 seconds. Then there's the 16,000 ISO sensitivity and the 1200-zone exposure metering. The metering function reads directly from the camera's main image sensor and offers the choice of Multi, Center, and Spot metering.
As for more proprietary shooting features, the camera has a load of those too! While you can shoot on manual, you might find yourself playing with all the built-in options for expressing your creativity. First off, there's the dual control dials that give you access to two settings at once. All the traditional P/A/S/M exposure modes can be found there. Getting into the menu functions you'll find options such as 19-point Auto Focus, Object Tracking AF, and 6-image layering just to start. Dig a little deeper and Handheld Twilight mode and Multi-Frame NR are there to help you capture excellent low-light images.
You'll also find extras such as built-in GPS. The integrated GPS receiver records the location and time of every shot you take, allowing you to view them later on a map with compatible computer and Internet applications. This feature is also great for those into 'geo-tagging'. Eleven Picture Effects modes also give you another way to express yourself with options like Pop Color, Retro Photo, Toy Camera, and more. Old standards like face detection and Sony's Smile Shutter technology are there for your use as well.
Like any good DSLR worth its salt, Sony gave the SLT-A77 a built-in flash for capturing low-light shots with ease. That same flash can also trigger an optional wireless flash. The camera also has an integrated hot shoe for attaching various external flashes and flash accessories (sold separately).
- 2nd Generation Translucent Mirror Design
- Other DSLRs can shoot. Or they can focus with the speed and precision of Phase Detection AF. They cannot do both at once. Sony changes all that with the award-winning Translucent Mirror Technology system. It directs light to both the image sensor and the Phase Detection AF sensor simultaneously
- 24.3Mp Resolution
- You get incredible detail and gorgeous enlargements thanks to an APS-C sensor with 24.3 megapixels
- Sony 16-50mm f/2.8 DT Standard Zoom Lens
- Bundled with the A77 is the Sony 16-50mm f/2.8 DT Standard Zoom Lens which optimized for shooting with APS-C sized cameras like the A77. It is a standard length zoom lens with a 35mm focal length equivalent of 24-75mm. Its maximum aperture is f/2.8 and that is constant throughout the zoom range, so even if you are shooting at full zoom you will have the capability to shoot at fast shutter speeds and with shallow depth of field. A Super Sonic Wave Motor provides smooth, silent and fast autofocus and aspheric and estra-low dispersion lens elements provide sharper images with more accurate colors. It's minimum focusing distance is 1.0' (30.5 cm) and it filter thread is 72mm.
- Up to 12 Frames Per Second Continuous
- The translucent mirror makes it far easier to capture the decisive soccer kick or your baby at her absolute cutest. Shoots up to 12 frames per second at full-resolution 24.3 megapixels with continuous auto focus (AE locked after first frame). This is the world's fastest shooting speed for interchangeable lens APS-C cameras, as of August, 2011
- OLED Viewfinder
- There's never been anything quite like the Tru-Finder OLED electronic viewfinder. For size, speed and brightness even after sunset, this is a gem. It begins with 2359K dots for amazing resolution and high contrast ratio for incredible depth. OLED reduces motion blur to a bare minimum. You can also see the results of camera adjustments in real time with superb color and detail
- HD Movies at 60p, 60i, or 24p
- Capture spectacular HD Movies. This is the world's first DSLR to offer a choice of super-smooth 60p, standard 60i or cinematic 24p, all at Full HD 1920 x 1080 resolution. AVCHD Progressive codec delivers stunning picture quality. MP4 codec offers smaller files for easier upload to the web
- HD Movies with Full Manual Control
- Now you don't need to surrender control when you shoot HD movies. Enjoy the full expressive potential of Program, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority or Manual (P/A/S/M) control in HD movie mode
- Full-Time Phase Detection AF
- You get fast, accurate auto focus in every mode-even HD Movie and Live View-thanks to Sony's exclusive Translucent Mirror Technology. While Contrast Detection Auto Focus often hunts for correct focus, Phase Detection AF knows exactly where correct focus is, and goes straight for it
- Full-Time Live View in LCD or EVF
- You can use both the LCD monitor and OLED Electronic Viewfinder for composing shots in Live View. Both provide a what-you-see-is-what-you-get preview of white balance, focus, depth of field, exposure and 100% framing accuracy, plus informative on-screen displays
- Short Release Time Lag
- Helps ensure that the image you want is the image you get. Once auto focus occurs, release time lag is the delay between fully pressing the shutter release and when the camera actually starts taking the picture. Long lag makes it harder to capture fast-moving objects. The Sony A65 boasts a short DSLR release time lag at only 0.05 seconds
- Rugged, Magnesium Alloy Body
- The SLT-A77 is built for the real world with a magnesium alloy body that combines high strength with light weight. Ports, doors and controls are also weather-resistant for smooth operation under adverse conditions
- Object Tracking AF
- Locks onto a specified object and maintains focus even as the subject moves. Unpredictable subjects stay in focus even while zooming. You can concentrate on composition without worrying about focus
- 19-Point Auto Focus
- To maximize the value of Translucent Mirror Technology, Sony incorporates Phase Detection AF of great sophistication. Nineteen sensors with 11 cross sensors maximize precision for both vertical and horizontal subjects
- Three-Way Tilt-Swivel LCD Screen
- Tilt it up or down to frame high- and low-angle shots that would otherwise be hit-or-miss. Tilt and swivel over the camera for self-portraits. You can even tilt it up and down when you hold the camera in vertical mode! Finally, the monitor folds flush to the camera with the LCD exposed for shooting or protected for travel
- Dual Control Dials
- Perfect for experienced shooters, dual control dials provide direct, hands-on access to two settings at a time
- Top Mounted LCD
- In addition to status displays on the LCD monitor and Electronic Viewfinder, Sony offers a top-mounted LCD with exposure information
- 6-Image Layering
- Leverages the fast BIONZ processor to capture six images in a fraction of a second, and then combine the data. The result is one incredible single image that gets a cleaner result in Multi-Frame NR mode or sharper nighttime pictures in Hand-held Twilight mode
- Multi-Frame NR
- Experience incredible low-light shooting without a flash. The camera captures six images in a fraction of a second. Combining the data from all six, it creates a single image with a reduction in noise equivalent to two additional steps of ISO sensitivity. Sensitivity selectable up to ISO 25600
- Handheld Twilight Mode
- Get gorgeous shots at night without a tripod. Combines six frames into a single image for smooth, low-noise evening shots
- Auto HDR Built Into Camera
- Captures more scene dynamic range than a single exposure can handle-and more range than photo film. Combines the best highlight detail from one shot, the best mid-tones from a second and the best shadow detail from a third for one incredible shot
- 3D Sweep Panorama Mode
- Capture vast scenic vistas and 16:9 shots in spectacular 3D. As you sweep across the panorama, the camera records separate right-eye and left-eye images that make landscapes come alive on your 3D television. Records both JPEG and MPO file formats
- Sweep Panorama Mode
- Capture expansive landscapes automatically. Press the shutter, sweep vertically or horizontally. The camera does the rest, continuously shooting images and stitching them together
- Built-In GPS
- An integrated GPS receiver records the location and time of every shot you take and lets you view your images on a map with compatible computer and Internet applications, so you can remember where you took your favorite shots
- Shot Result Preview
- See the results before you take the shot. This preview takes the guesswork out of camera settings by showing the effects of the aperture, shutter and DRO settings on the depth of field, motion and dynamic range
- 921K Dot TruBlack LCD Screen
- Sony's 3.0 inch Xtra Fine LCD monitor has 921K dots for superb resolution. The TruBlack screen includes a special resin layer to suppress internal reflections, increasing contrast compared to conventional LCDs. Sunny Weather mode boosts visibility even further
- Main Sensor Quick AF Live View
- Combines the fast focus of Phase Detection AF with high quality Live View images right from the main sensor. This is made possible by Sony Translucent Mirror Technology. You get accurate images and 100% framing on the LCD monitor or eye-level viewfinder
- ISO 16000 Sensitivity
- Incredibly clear low-light pictures without sacrificing detail, made possible by the low-noise Exmor APS HD CMOS image sensor and refined BIONZ image processor
- AUTO+ (Advanced Auto) Mode
- Get cleaner, more dynamic pictures and fewer missed shots. Unifies and simplifies Sony intelligent technologies. The camera automatically recognizes the correct scene mode
- Graphic Display
- Clarifies the relationship between aperture and shutter speed, as well as the effect each has on photographic results
- Upgraded BIONZ Image Processor
- The brain of the camera is a Sony's BIONZ image processor substantially upgraded for the demands of 24.3 megapixel photography. Chroma noise reduction delivers high-resolution, low-noise photos even at ISO 16000. Also enables fast processing for up to 10 fps continuous shooting of data-intensive 24.3 MP images, 2D/3D Sweep Panorama modes and 6-image layering
- Dynamic Range Optimizer (DRO)
- Improves results with backlit subjects and recovers details hidden in shadows. Settings include Auto, Level with a choice of five operating levels and Off
- 1200-Zone Exposure Metering
- Reads exposure directly from the main image sensor. Choice of Multi, Center and Spot metering accommodates a full range of shooting situations
- SteadyShot INSIDE Stabilization
- Image stabilization reduces blur by compensating for camera shake. Typical DSLR systems build image stabilization into selected lenses only. SteadyShot INSIDE image stabilization is built into the camera body itself. You'll reduce blur with every A Mount lens, including macro and wide-aperture standard zoom lenses
- HDMI Output for HD Viewing
- Enjoy HD movies and stunning still images on a compatible HDTV. The camera includes an HDMI output. In addition, the BRAVIA Sync system works with compatible Sony BRAVIA HDTVs enabling you to control camera playback using the television's remote
- Up to 530 Shots of Battery Life
- Take up to 530 shots on a single charge with Sony Stamina battery power. Sony's InfoLITHIUM battery system enables you to see the percent of power remaining, so you can keep shooting in confidence
- P/A/S/M Exposure Modes
- The camera offers a full range of controls from the beginner's AUTO+ mode to P/A/S/M: Program, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Manual. On-screen prompts help you refine your skills, build your confidence and exercise greater creative control
- Advanced Anti-Dust Technology
- Anti-Dust Technology helps keep the CMOS sensor clean, resulting in consistently clear pictures. First a static-free coating on the sensor's low-pass filter helps repel dust. Then vibration automatically dislodges dust from the sensor
- Built-In Flash (GN12)
- To help you shoot more effectively, the camera includes a built-in flash (Guide Number 12) that can also trigger a wireless accessory flash (sold separately). The integrated hot shoe enables you to expand your lighting options with a range of accessory flashes
- Slot for Two Media Types
- For cost-effective, convenient storage and sharing of your images, the camera accepts Memory Stick PRO Duo/Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo and SD/SDHC/SDXC media
- APS-C Size HD CMOS Image Sensor
- With 19.5 times the area of the typical camcorder image sensor, APS-C makes the difference between amateur and professional-looking video, delivering an exceptional combination of high resolution, high sensitivity and gorgeous, blurred backgrounds
- Sony Exmor Technology
- Conventional image sensors use only a handful of analog-to-digital (A/D) converters, which can slow you down. The Exmor sensor provides more than 5,600 column-parallel A/D converters. This helps enable continuous shooting at up to 10 frames per second
- 11 Picture Effect Modes
- Discover innovative ways to make your images and videos pop. These include Posterization (Color, B/W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (Red, Green, Blue, Yellow), Soft High-key, High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Monochrome, and Miniature
- Face Detection and Registration
- The camera can automatically detect up to eight individual faces and adjust focus, exposure, white balance and flash to help deliver crisp, properly lit images of people. Can prioritize children or adults. Face Registration can remember friends and family members and prioritize them.
- Smile Shutter Technology
- Captures a smile the moment it happens. Simply select the Smile Shutter mode and the camera takes the picture automatically. You can prioritize children or adults and adjust the smile sensitivity