The DiskStation RS3412xs 10 Bay NAS Server from Synology is a RackStation which provides ultra-high performance. This is a scalable and fully featured network attached storage solution. It is designed for large-scale businesses that require an efficient way to centralize data protection, simplify data management, deploy virtualization solutions and rapidly expand storage capacity with minimal time spent on setup and management. The RS3412xs NAS server has ultra-high performance that your data intensive application requires on the storage system.The RS3412xs NAS server features a fanless CPU heatsink to prevent single point of failure. It achieves high reliability system design with CPU passive cooling technology. Now you can seamlessly expand a single volume to up to 100 TB on the fly. When the storage capacity of the NAS server is nearing its limits, you can expand it with Synology RX1211*. The NAS server runs on DiskStation Manager (DSM), a novel operating system which integrates file level and block level storage in one unified storage system platform thus reducing the total cost of the ownership. The applications and features of this NAS server are designed for large-scale businesses. Windows ADS and LDAP integration allows the NAS server to quickly and easily fit in an existing business network environment without recreating user accounts.
Note! RS3412xs supports up to two Synology RX1211, purchased separately.
- Ultra-High Performance
- Link Aggregation in the RS3412xs NAS server gives high performance, of over 1000 Mbps throughput and 100,000 IOPS under RAID 5 configuration*. In addition to the default 4 Gigabit ports, dual 10 GbE ports are supported with the add-on PCIe x8 Gen 2 Network Interface Cards to maximize system bandwidth. 1
- High Reliability & Availability
- Reliable functioning of commercial systems is of paramount concern to business users who depend on servers every day. The RS3412xs NAS server comes with a fanless CPU heatsink to prevent single point of failure. It achieves high reliability system design with CPU passive cooling technology. When the system detects fan failure, the built-in redundancy mechanism spins up the functional fan(s) for proper ventilation of the system and supports continuous operations until the replacement fan arrives. Thus, potential system damages are minimized and system availability is maximized. The network ports with failover support combined with hot-swappable drives ensure continual service uptime during times of drive replacement or unexpected LAN failure. The ECC RAM module detects and corrects errors that occur during data transmission. It supports up to 6 GB ECC RAM and provides secure data protection and performance to meet the mission-critical tasks of large scale businesses.
- Robust Scalability Up to 100 TB
- The RS3412xs NAS server is designed to grow with your business and can seamlessly expand a single volume to up to 100 TB on the fly. When the storage capacity of this NAS server is nearing its limits, it can be easily expanded with the Synology RX1211*. It is connected via an Infiniband cable that can carry 12 Gbps SATA signals to ensure maximum throughput. Management of large storage space on the NAS server is simple and flexible. Multiple volumes on the RAID allow you to create more than one volume on a RAID structure that provides a flexible and efficient way to manage storage across all hard drives. When the need for more space arises, the volume can be easily expanded without any service disruption. 2
- Unified Storage and Virtualization Ready
- The RS3412xs NAS server runs on DiskStation Manager (DSM), a novel operating system that integrates file level and block level storage in one unified storage system platform, thus reducing the total cost of ownership. Comprehensive network protocol support (CIFS/SMB, AFP and NFS) assures seamless file sharing across Windows, Mac and Linux platforms. iSCSI is also supported as the ideal alternative to SAN solution for businesses. The iSCSI allows large-scale businesses to consolidate storage into data center storage arrays while providing hosts with the illusion of locally attached disks. With iSCSI support, the RS3412xs NAS server provides a seamless storage solution for virtualization servers, such as VMware, Citrix and Hyper-V. This is also certified with the latest VMware vSphere 5, supporting VMFS-5 and extended storage migration capability with flexibility and higher performance in VMware virtualization platform. Thin Provisioning is available for file level iSCSI that enables administrators to oversubscribe provision and increase the storage space as needed in safety.
- Full Featured Business Applications
- The NAS server offers applications and features designed specifically for large-scale business. Windows ADS and LDAP integration allows the RS3412xs NAS server to quickly and easily fit in an existing business network environment without recreating user accounts. Windows ACL support on the NAS server provides much finer grained access control and efficient privilege settings. IT staff can set up privileges for files and folders on the NAS server through their Windows user interface. The built-in backup application is provided for backing up data in the RS3412xs NAS server to another Synology NAS, expansion unit or any Rsync server via an encrypted transmission. It is even possible to back up from the NAS server to the cloud with Amazon S3 support. Shared folder sync is also available in DSM for implementing disaster recovery plans. With shared folder sync, the RS3412xs NAS server is able to replicate data to another DiskStation within the Intranet or across the Internet, thus reducing the risk of business interruption.
- Energy Efficient Design
- The NAS server is designed and developed keeping energy efficiency in mind. If it is compared with the average storage server counterparts, it consumes a relatively low amount of power and the hard drives hibernate when not in use.
DiskStation Manager (DSM)
- Apps on Demand
- The Web-Based Platform: DSM is a web-based platform. This means that you can select the service that you want to use and install the corresponding apps, only when you need it. So you can choose from Photo Station, Download Station, Cloud Station and other web apps to install from Package Center. The total customization gives you more control over your network storage. Easy Maintenance: Apps as packages help customized installation and provide regular updates quickly.
- Cloud Station
- Automatic Sync: The Cloud Station folder is a private cloud that constantly updates itself. It pushes files, songs and photos to any PC that you are working on and syncs automatically.* Offline Viewing: You can view and edit your files anytime via the Cloud Station folder even without an Internet connection. You can also edit spreadsheets, create a new document or upload photos all within the folder offline. After Internet access is resumed, all changes are automatically synced onto Cloud Station and can be viewed offline. Everybody's Cloud: A single NAS is everyone's private cloud. Every user can own a Cloud Station folder on their own computers and enjoy all the benefits it has to offer. All clouds are on one DiskStation, where data security and privacy are guaranteed. In addition, when your PC and DiskStation are in the same local area network (LAN), the transfer rate is higher than what is offered over the Internet. You can upload and sync large files faster. 3
- Synology ezCloud
- QuickConnect Service: Even without any network settings, you can access your files remotely. With Synology's ezCloud, there's nothing you can't retrieve over the Internet. Once the network cable is connected to your DiskStation, you can use Cloud Station and DS file to access and sync files. The need to configure a router or any other network device is eliminated*. Personal DDNS: Control the Internet presence of your cloud with Synology's DDNS service. The ezCloud lets you directly register a personalized domain name from Synology. There are no more hassles of seeking third party service. You can log into the MyDS Center webpage and check the status of your registered Synology NAS. Stay Connected with Notifications: You can get notifications on the status of your DiskStation through multiple channels. Synology provides free push services on Skype, Windows Live Messenger and DS finder for iOS devices. You can decide which event notifications to trigger and avoid unnecessary alerts. Event categories can be precisely set to take appropriate action as per your need. 4
- Synology Hybrid RAID
- Instant Volume Creation and Optimized Storage Capacity: Unlike traditional RAID that creates volume based upon the smallest hard disk within the array, SHR divides each hard disk into smaller chunks, creating additional redundant storage. This allows maximum utilization of each disk, thus optimizing the total capacity. Store Files Quickly: Now you don't need to wait for the volume setup to be complete before storing data in the NAS server. With SHR, you can start moving data into DiskStation during volume creation itself. Reliable Fault Tolerance Mechanism: Depending on your choice, SHR provides 1 to 2 hard disk fault tolerance of data protection. If one hard disk fails to function properly, your data would still be accessible unaffected.
- Synology's Virtualization Support
- VMware vSphere 5 Support: When deploying Synology RackStation the RS3412xs NAS server, businesses get: - Better flexibility for deploying and migrating VMs. - Higher storage performance and storage efficiency with VMFS-5 file system. - Smoother access and management efficiency with load balancing automation in Storage vMotion. The NAS server also supports other major virtualization solutions. This dedication extends beyond the support for large-scale businesses. Even the budget minded SMBs are able to introduce virtualization into their daily operation. The NAS server runs on the DiskStation Manager. Therefore, it is capable of operating within a virtualized environment*. 5