Apple TV transformed the way we watch TV and movies when it first came out. Now this 3rd generation Apple TV is revolutionizing how we watch again, basing the experience around streaming, not syncing. Taking content viewing to new heights, this compact entertainment juggernaut allows you to stream movies, photos and music directly to your HDTV from your Mac or PC computer in high definition 1080p clarity.
Powered by a single-core Apple A5 chip, this Apple TV is touted to be faster than ever. Just connect the device to your HDTV with an HDMI cable, plug in the power source, (make sure your router's on!) and you're good to go.
About the size of the palm of your hand, the Apple TV will hardly take up any space at all. The included Apple remote gives you all the control you need to browse through the various menus with ease. Alternatively, you can also use your iPhone or iPod touch as a remote using the free Remote app from the App store.
Now fully integrated with iCloud, this Apple TV allows you to play content you've purchased from the iTunes store through iCloud. With over 15,000 movies and 90,000 TV shows to choose from, your options are never limited. You can also play them on your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Mac or PC without having to buy them again. This Apple TV also has Photo Stream from iCloud so you can view your most recent 1000 photos automatically from all your Apple devices. There's no syncing or sending. Your photos are just there on your Apple TV so you can view them in crystal clear 1080p quality on your HDTV. Also available on this Apple TV is iTunes Match ($24.99 a year), which boasts a scan-and-match feature that instantly adds all the songs in your iTunes library to iCloud.
With AirPlay Mirroring, you can use your iPad (2nd generation and later) or iPhone 4S to show everyone in the room exactly what you're doing. Some iOS games even support dual screens, which turns your iPad or iPhone 4S into the ultimate controller. Popular apps make their return such as Netflix, YouTube, Flickr and more. You can also watch your favorite sports teams using the NBA, MLB and NHL apps (subscriptions required to access certain features).
Setting up the Apple TV is easy because all you need is a power cord and an HDMI connection (cable sold separately). Optical audio and Ethernet ports provide added versatility. The redesigned, intuitive interface is highly user-friendly. Simply click on the source icons for blazing-fast access to all content, and by electing to display the top menu while viewing movies or TV shows, you can easily switch between sections. Be sure to grab yourself the AppleCare Protection Plan for Apple TV to insure your valuable investment.
Please note that HDMI cable is required to output video to an external display. It is sold separately and not included with the Apple TV.
The 3rd Generation Apple TV
- 1080p High Definition Quality
- Long awaited by many, this 3rd generation Apple TV now supports full HD 1080p content, which is available in the iTunes store. Enjoy stunning 1080p video quality and take full advantage of your HDTV
- iCloud Integration
- With iCloud integration, you can buy movies and TV shows on Apple TV and watch them on your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Mac, PC and vice versa. iCloud also stores your photos and pushes them wirelessly to all your devices - including your HDTV via Apple TV. It's the easiest way to get instant access to your content, no matter which device you're using
- Photo Stream
- Uploading all the photos from a summer vacation or a big event is as easy as doing nothing at all. With Photo Stream in iCloud, your most recent 1000 photos automatically appear on all your devices - including Apple TV - no matter which device you used to take the picture. No syncing. No sending. Your photos are just there on your HDTV. For you and everyone, to enjoy
- iTunes Match
- If you're an iTunes Match subscriber, you can access your entire music collection from iCloud - including songs you've imported from CDs - right from your Apple TV. Play your whole collection on Apple TV or any iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or computer for just $24.99 a year. iTunes Match has an amazing scan-and-match feature. All the songs in your iTunes library are scanned and then matched with those available on the iTunes Store. Matched songs are instantly added to iCloud with no uploading needed. Any remaining songs are automatically uploaded from your computer to iCloud
- Small. Powerful. Efficient.
- Quiet, energy efficient and small enough to fit in the palm of your hand, Apple TV sits neatly on a TV stand or even in a crowded media cabinet. When it's not filling your living room with drama, romance and comedy, it uses less power than a night-light. And the included Apple Remote makes it easy to get to your favorite entertainment
- Easy Setup
- Setting up Apple TV takes almost no time at all. Just plug the power cord into the wall and connect Apple TV to your widescreen TV using an HDMI cable (sold separately). Since everything streams wirelessly to Apple TV using your Wi-Fi network, that's all you need. You can also use your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch as an interactive remote with the Apple Remote app from the App store
- Streaming - Enjoy it on the Big Screen
- You have friends over and you want to share great photos or the perfect party mix that's on your iPhone. Or you're in the middle of an epic action movie on your iPad that could use a little more screen. That's where AirPlay comes in. Just connect your device and Apple TV to the same Wi-Fi network and the AirPlay icon automatically appears. Then tap the AirPlay icon in a specific app - Photos, Videos, Music, Safari, or any AirPlay-enabled app - and everything streams to your HDTV via your Apple TV. It's a simple way to play your stuff on the biggest screen and the best sound system in the house
- Mirroring - Put Your Audience in the Palm of Your Hand
- AirPlay Mirroring lets you show exactly what's on your iPhone 4S or iPad screen to everyone in the room. Show web pages, games, photos, videos, spreadsheets, class material and more on your HDTV via Apple TV. Zoom in and out and pause for applause. Rotate from portrait to landscape and your audience sees that, too. AirPlay does it all wirelessly, so you can work the room or sit comfortably among the crowd. If you see it, so can they
- Dual Screen - Gaming on a Grand Scale
- Take control on your iPhone 4S or iPad while the action unfolds on your widescreen TV. Patrol the air while commanding the cockpit from your couch. Browse the latest in interior design ideas and save your favorites on your iPhone 4S or iPad. With AirPlay, your TV displays talents it never knew it had
What's on Apple TV
- HD Movies - Always the Best Seat in the House
- With Apple TV, you get instant access to buy or rent the hottest HD movies - many in 1080p and often available the same day they come out on DVD. That's perfect for spontaneous movie nights (or afternoons or mornings). Search by top movies, title, or genre. Can't decide? Read reviews, watch trailers and check out Rotten Tomatoes ratings. Or let Genius make a recommendation based on movies you've watched before. Then pick a flick, press Play and in seconds you're watching the opening credits in theater-like Dolby Digital 5.1 surround
- HD TV Shows - Make Any Time Prime Time
- Buy your favorite TV shows and watch them - without commercials - whenever you like. Watch a show the day after it airs, or camp out on your couch and catch up on past seasons with a marathon of back-to-back episodes. Apple TV keeps track of your favorite shows, so the next time you turn on your TV, you can quickly see which season you're watching and which episodes are new. Just choose shows with a few clicks of the Apple Remote
- Play Your Content from Your Mac or PC on the Big Screen
- Get everyone in on the birthday pics, vacation videos or party mixes. Click Computers on the Apple TV menu to stream your photos, home videos and music collection from your Mac or PC. And Apple TV lets you wirelessly access your content from iCloud, too. Click Photo Stream to see your iCloud Photo Stream on your widescreen TV. If you're an iTunes Match subscriber, click Music to play your favorite tracks. Sharing your memories and music with your friends and family has never been easier
- Netflix Streaming - Browse and Play Movie and TV Favorites
- From classics to recent Hollywood blockbusters, Netflix on Apple TV lets you watch even more movies and TV shows in 1080p HD and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound when available. Apple TV organizes the huge catalog of streaming titles from Netflix so you can find what you want fast. Since Apple TV lets you access your Netflix account - and even subscribe to Netflix - directly from your HDTV, you can enjoy more of your favorite entertainment any time you want
- YouTube, Vimeo and Flickr - The Internet's Most Wanted
- Play all those funny or fascinating videos you come across on YouTube and Vimeo. Browse the Flickr photos of all your friends. Watch HD podcasts. And listen to Internet radio through your home speakers. Apple TV makes anything you find on the web hugely entertaining
- MLB - Put Your Couch Behind Home Plate
- Have an MLB.TV subscription? Watch games live and in HD on your TV. Or replay any regular season game on demand from the archives. Don't have a subscription? You can still get team schedules, real-time scores, stats, and standings for free
- NBA - Reserve Your Courtside Seat
- Access your NBA.com subscription and see every dunk, free throw and rebound live from your couch, or replay regular season games on demand. Nonsubscribers can access real-time scores, full-season stats, standings, and video highlights
- NHL - Take in the Action from Center Ice
- Subscribe to NHL GameCenter and watch live games in HD. Follow your favorite NHL teams and see their schedules, games, and stats. And don't worry if you miss a game - you can replay it anytime you want
- Wall Street Journal Live - Always Know the Word on the Street
- Stay current on late-breaking business, international and financial news with Wall Street Journal Live. Hear expert insight on the market and the economy and how it affects your finances and investments. Don't have a lot of time? Watch summaries of leading and breaking news stories and up-to-date 24/7