The Behringer Firepower FCA1616 is a 16x16 FireWire/USB 2.0 audio/MIDI interface that offers a rich feature set and plentiful I/O options for a surprisingly low price. The unit sports 4 front-panel mic/instrument combo jacks—equipped with Behringer's top-of-the-line XENYX microphone preamps—as well as 4 balanced line inputs, 8 balanced line outputs, and MIDI in and out jacks on the rear-panel.
Digital I/O includes TOSlink optical in and out connectors, which support up to 8 channels of ADAT, 4 channels of S/MUX, or 2 channels of S/PDIF. A pair of RCA jacks are also included for S/PDIF. When both analog and digital I/O are utilized, the unit is capable of streaming 16 inputs and 16 outputs simultaneously. If you want to expand the channel count, the optional Behringer ADA8000, an 8-Channel A/D and D/A converter equipped with 8 mic preamps and an ADAT interface, can be easily integrated.
Each front-panel input channel is equipped with an input-level control knob, a 48V phantom power switch, a switch for a low-cut filter (great for preventing the pickup of low-end rumble), and a Hi-Z switch with an LED indicator. When activated, the Hi-Z switch sets the input to handle high-impedance sources like guitars and basses.
The FCA1616 features direct hardware monitoring, allowing you to monitor as you record without distracting latency delay. The Direct Monitoring knob lets you smoothly crossfade between the direct signal and the one returning from the DAW. The two headphone outputs offer source-select options, and each has its own volume control.
The unit is equipped with a variety of useful LED meters and status lights to give you visual feedback during recording. A master level knob lets you control the level going to your studio monitors. The FCA1616 runs on AC power (an AC adapter is included), but can also be bus powered via a 6-pin FireWire cable, contingent upon a computer that feeds sufficient power.
Purchasers of the Firepower FCA1616 are eligible to download a huge software bundle from Behringer.com. It includes Audacity (the most popular open-source audio editor); and a great selection of podcasting software: Podifier, Juice, Podnova, and Golden Ear.
- Audiophile ultra-low-noise, high headroom audio interface with 24-Bit/96 kHz resolution
- Operates as multi-channel audio and MIDI interface via FireWire and USB 2.0
- Streams 16 inputs/16 outputs plus 1 x MIDI I/O with ultra-low latency to your computer, supporting Windows XP/Vista/7 plus Mac OS X
- 4 state-of-the-art XENYX mic preamps comparable to stand-alone boutique preamps with individual Phantom Power, Pad, Low Cut, and Hi-Z switches
- All standard I/O formats supported—analog, S/PDIF (coaxial and optical), ADAT, S/MUX
- Direct Monitoring and Main Volume controls on hardware front—no confusing software mixer panel
- 2 powerful headphone outputs, with individual volume controls and mono and source signal-select switches, provide flexible monitoring options
- Level control of your stereo or 7.1 active speaker system with a single knob turn
- Smooth crossfading between inputs and DAW playback signals during recording
- Add 8 additional microphone inputs and line outputs with the Behringer ADA8000 (not included), connected via ADAT
- 8 analog inserts for use of external effects such as compressors, EQs, etc.
- Status and signal-presence indication for all analog and digital I/O
- Powered via external power supply (included) or USB bus power (via 6-pin cable; contingent upon a computer that feeds sufficient power)
- Standard 19" x 1U rack-space form factor
- Free audio recording, editing, and podcasting software plus 150 instrument/effect plug-ins downloadable at www.behringer.com
- Standard port for Kensington security lock provided
- High-quality components and exceptionally rugged construction ensure long life
- Conceived and designed by Behringer Germany