The Q Digital Camera with 5-15mm Lens (Black) from Pentax is a small, lightweight interchangeable lens camera with the look and feel of a rangefinder, but many of the capabilities of a DSLR. Whether you're looking to shoot in stealth mode, or you simply want an easy to carry camera that provides more versatility than a point-and-shoot, the Q was designed with you in mind. Some might consider it a party camera. Pentax simply calls it "evolved".
Whatever you call it, the facts are this, the Q captures in 12.4Mp RAW or JPEG files using its 1/2.3" CMOS sensor. It comes with a 5-15mm (27.5-83mm equivalent) lens and a number of accessories for getting started from day one. And in addition to taking detailed still images, the Q also captures 1080p video, as has been the norm for this genre of compact digital cameras.
Pentax also boasts the durability of the Q, citing its magnesium alloy covers which are also scratch resistant. A 3.0" LCD screen allows for composition of images and in-camera review of your files. The camera also has a built-in pop-up flash, SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card slot, and useful ports, such as an HDMI micro. A nice option for the Q is an external viewfinder, which will give you even more of that old school feel.
In regards to DSLR capabilities, the Q features a customizable quick dial, like most DSLRs, which allows for quick access to custom settings, creative modes, Smart Effect options, and other camera settings. Another way in which the camera mimics the famed DSLR is with a number of flexible settings like Program, Aperture/Shutter Priority, and the like. Another useful feature, HDR Capture, blends 3 images together for photos that bring out details in the shadows and extreme highlights for contrasty, yet balanced shots.
An additional highlight of the Q is a bokeh control filter. The bokeh filter does what a traditional DSLR controls through the lens aperture: focusing out the background and bringing the most important part of the image into sharp focus. This not only makes for dynamic photos, it takes the guesswork out of the photographer's hands, guaranteeing beautiful bokeh. Another handy feature is the Smart Effects mode for adding finishes such as Vintage Color, Bold Monochrome, and Warm Fade to selected images.
- Small and Light Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera
- The Q represents an evolution in interchangeable lens digital camera design, featuring a small and light body. Experience the Pentax Q. The camera. Evolved.
- Q-Mount Lens System and 5-15mm Lens
- The Q features the newly designed Pentax Q-mount lens system for convenient interchangeability with a variety of specialty Q lenses. Choose from a selection of prime, zoom, fisheye lenses, and more to suit just about any photographic need. This Q System kit includes the 5-15mm lens (equivalent to 27.5-83mm in 35mm format) with Pentax SP (Super Protect) coating.
- Enjoy exceptional image quality in 12.4Mp courtesy of the Q's 1/2.3" backlit CMOS image sensor. Capable of producing 12 bit DNG RAW and JPEG image, the backlit CMOS sensor is a highly efficient light-gathering instrument designed specifically to produce very low noise at high levels of sensitivity.
- Though extremely compact, the Q is also surprisingly durable, sporting lightweight, scratch resistant magnesium alloy covers.
- Traditional DSLR Shooting Modes
- Experienced photographers will enjoy the power and flexibility of traditional DSLR shooting modes such as Program, Aperture/Shutter Priority, and Metered Manual exposure control. Yet casual shooters will appreciate the highly convenient automatic modes such as the set-it-and-forget-it Pentax Auto Picture and 21 scene modes.
- Customizable Quick Dial
- Conveniently choose from a variety of creative modes, Smart Effect options, or camera settings to assign to the Q's Quick Dial located on the front of the camera. Easily customize the setting or effect using the Quick Dial's 4 positions, allowing you to concentrate on photography without having to navigate the camera's menu system.
- HDR Capture
- In-camera HDR capture mode shoots 3 images of varying exposures, blending them to bring out the details in even the darkest shadows and brightest highlights of extreme contrast shots.
- 1080p HD Video
- Shoot high quality video with stunning full 1080p HD clarity at 30 frames per second. The Q efficiently processes the full HD video using H.264 compression for superior color and detail. Explore creative video effects through the use of custom image modes, digital video filters, and interval shooting; or select from a variety of Q lenses to realize your perfect artistic vision.
- Sensor-Shift Shake Reduction
- Capture stabilized, blur and dust free images even in low lighting courtesy of the Q's sensor-shift Shake Reduction system with integrated DRII Dust Reduction. Body-based Shake Reduction operates independently of the Q's lenses, allowing the same level of stabilization regardless of lens selection.
- 3.0" LCD Monitor
- Easily compose or review images and video using the Q's large 3.0 inch LCD monitor. The high quality LCD features HVGA resolution with 460,000 dots, as well as viewing angles up to 170 degrees horizontally and vertically.
- 5 Frames Per Second
- Capture even the fastest action with 5 frames per second continuous shooting mode, ideal for sporting events, children at play, or any fast action situation.
- Bokeh Control Filter
- Enjoy effortless bokeh control with the Q's bokeh control filter. Traditionally controlled through a DSLR lens's aperture, bokeh is the out of focus part of the background that helps to emphasize the subject, drawing the viewer's eyes to the most important part of the photo. The Q assists the experienced and casual photographer alike by offering a fine degree of extra control over image bokeh via an in-camera filter operation.
- Smart Effects Mode
- New Smart Effects modes enhance digital photography by applying a series of effects to images to achieve high quality finishing. Brilliant Color, Vintage Color, Warm Fade, Bold Monochrome, and Water Color are just some of the Smart Effects available, which can also be assigned to the Q's Quick Dial.
- USER Modes for Creativity
- Powerful USER modes allow the creative photographer to save a series of favorite camera settings, filters, and custom image modes for instant reuse.
- 1/2000 to 30 Second Shutter Speeds
- Shutter speeds range from 1/2000 to 30 seconds, perfect for freezing fast action or capturing long nighttime exposures. Bulb mode adds flexibility for low light photography and motion effects.
- Built-In Pop-Up Flash
- The Q's built-in pop-up flash adds the perfect amount of extra light to an image, while its high extension naturally reduces the redeye effect common to compact cameras. The Q's flash is effective to 23 feet at 200 ISO, and covers a wide angle 28 degree field of view.
- HDMI Port
- A built-in micro HDMI port is perfect for outputting high resolution images and video, with sound, to modern HDTVs.
- SD, SDHC, and SDXC Memory Cards
- The Q is compatible with the latest generation SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards for ultra-high capacity storage as well as outstanding image file portability.
- RAW File Processing
- The Q includes SILKYPIX Developer Studio 3 software for powerful and flexible RAW file processing. In-camera RAW image development is also supported.
- External Viewfinder Available Separately
- Compose images and video either with the Q's LCD monitor or using a shoe-mounted viewfinder attachment available as an optional accessory. The External Viewfinder O-VF1 makes an excellent accessory to the Q, offering outstanding compositional framing, even in the brightest sunlight where viewing an LCD screen is traditionally a challenge.