For truly rich and detailed images, the DP2 Merrill Compact Digital Camera from Sigma employs three layers of vertically stacked receptors to take advantage of silicon's unique ability to absorb light at different depths. This allows the DP2 to more accurately reproduce colors, and capture sharper resolution images, than any camera the same size.
Its large 3.0" display allows you to better view these high quality images as you shoot them, and its ability to shoot RAW, JPEG, or both simultaneously gives you added flexibility when choosing which files to use in post-processing. You can efficiently shoot JPEG to share immediately, or use RAW to capture everything in a lossless and uncompressed file.
These three layers within the sensor combine to create a 46-megapixel image, at a resolution of 4800 x 3200 pixels. This makes it a great camera for anyone from a photography professional needing a smaller, yet high-quality camera, to hobbyists who want the same quality of the big DSLRs without any of the weight or complications.
- The Foveon X3 Direct Image Sensor uses an innovative pixel structure that uniquely captures all red, green, and blue (RGB) color information in each pixel location, with three layers, rather than the typical single layer of alternating colors. This provides accurately colored and incredibly detailed imagery, with greater three-dimensional depth--incorporating 46 effective megapixels (3 layers: 4,800 x 3,200) and 44 recording megapixels (3 layers: 4,704 x 3,136)
- The dual TRUE II (Three-layer Responsive Ultimate Engine) image processing engine dedicated to Foveon X3 direct image sensors improves the processing speed and overall quality of your final image. By incorporating two TRUE II processors, the DP2's unique image-processing algorithm provides high resolution power and reproduces high definition images with rich tones and smooth gradients
- The DP2 Merrill offers a 30mm F2.8 lens, which is the equivalent to a 45mm lens on a 35mm camera. The camera is compact, lightweight, and includes "F" Low Dispersion (FLD) glass to correct aberrations and Super Multi Layer Coating to reduce flare and ghosting
- Manual Focus is available for use when autofocus or focus lock is not desired. It is possible to use the focus ring for focusing just like an SLR camera, but very unlike a compact digital camera. It is also possible to magnify the display to ensure even more precise focusing--when millimeters matter
- Nine diaphragm blades provide excellent blurring effects to out-of-focus areas (bokeh) in photographs for a very pleasing aesthetic and style
- Capture the fantastic clarity and quality of RAW data with its lossless compression, the universal compatibility of JPEG, or the convenience of JPEG + RAW--giving you the most creative freedom and flexibility possible out of every shot
- SIGMA Photo Pro image processing software is available via a download from the Sigma website and converts RAW data quickly and easily. It renders the full, 46 megapixel data with ease, allowing you to view and edit enormously rich and detailed images from a relatively small device
- Like a much larger DSLR, you'll get the benefit of a 3.0" TFT LCD to quickly change menu options, or review photos after they're taken
- Languages supported on the LCD display include: English, Japanese, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Chinese (Simplified), Korean, Russian, Chinese (Traditional), Dutch, Polish, Portuguese, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, and Finnish