The Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera with MFT Mount brings to filmmakers a tool that many have waited for, for quite some time. Recording to a 2.5K image sensor, the camera is capable of recording 12-bit RAW DNG files, as well as ProRes and DNxHD formats to built-in removable SSD drives (not included), while delivering 13 stops of dynamic range. The Blackmagic Cinema Camera is a complete system with built-in recorder and monitoring, so it's perfect for displacing video-only cameras for work such as weddings and sporting events. And as a complete system it can help save money for those budget strapped productions.
The camera is housed in an elegant, minimalist enclosure, crafted from a single block of aluminum. It can be used hand held or mounted on industry standard hardware. The new Passive Micro Four Thirds (MFT) Mount provides an exciting new feature for you by giving you compatibility with a wide range of manually operated lenses, while also being easily adapted to other mounts such as PL mount via third party adapters. And the LCD touchscreen provides monitoring, plus the ability for the user to add metadata such as shot number, filenames and keywords, which can save time and money in the post-production process.
To handle the high data video output, Blackmagic includes a full version of DaVinci Resolve, its premier color correcting software for Mac and Windows. Also included is a copy of UltraScope. When connected to a computer via Thunderbolt, the software provides technically accurate waveform monitoring, displaying six live scope views on a single monitor.
Since everything has been designed to provide high quality acquisition, the camera is an ideal option for independent film, television commercials and episodic television production, all places where image quality is paramount. Additionally the Blackmagic Cinema Camera offers compressed 1080HD recording formats in both Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD allowing for seamless integration into a production workflow that utilizes either Final Cut Pro or Avid as their editing software.
PLEASE NOTE: The camera cannot format SSD drives. SSD drives have to be formatted (via an external 2.5" compatible dock) as HFS+ on a Mac, or by using Macdrive (not included) on a Windows PC.
- Dynamic Range
- Captures a super wide dynamic range of 13 stops into 12-bit DNG files for a true "filmic" look, offering more flexibility in your shooting locations. Also it preserves detail in both shadows and highlights, and even handles indoor shots while keeping the details of any images captured through windows, and allows for keeping all sensor data and enhancing the creative decisions during DaVinci Resolve color grading.
- MFT Mount Lens
- The new Passive Micro Four Thirds (MFT) mount gives you compatibility with a wide range of manually operated lenses, while also being easily adapted to other mounts such as PL mount via third party adapters. With the Blackmagic Cinema MFT Mount Camera you are not locked into any specific lens and you can choose the lens you need based on the creative style of your shot.
- Capacitive Touchscreen Display
- The five-inch touchscreen allows for setting up a shot, as well as playback from the SSD using the transport control buttons below the screen. You can enter shot data and update the camera's settings using the capacitive touchscreen display. Also control the camera's operating functions with a simple touch of the screen, just double tap to zoom the image for fast and accurate focus. Additionally a data strip provides you valuable information including record status, shutter angle, ISO, battery level, record time and more.
- Metadata Entry
- The Blackmagic also features built-in metadata entry so that files include information compatible with popular editing software. This dramatically speeds up the whole post production process, and can save a production valuable time and money. Entering metadata is easy - simply tap the capacitive LCD touchscreen to display the slate where information can be entered including shot number, search tags, scene number, Timecode, and more. You can set shot number and other data to increment automatically, allowing for quicker setups while shooting. And the Metadata is compatible with leading editing software and is fully searchable, bypassing the time consuming task of searching for specific shots when editing a project.
- SSD Recorder
- A Built-in SSD recorder uses low cost 2.5" SSDs and allows for 2.5K uncompressed CinemaDNG RAW 12-bit capture, as well as Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD compressed video formats. You can play back directly from the camera, mount the disk to any computer, or use Blackmagic Design's HyperDeck Studio deck. Also with Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHD video formats, you can record for more than five hours on a single 480 GB SSD, allowing you to shoot longer and give yourself more footage to play with in the editing process. All file formats conform to open standards used by most professional NLE software, allowing for seamless integration into most post workflows. When finished shooting, simply connect the SSD to a computer and edit or color shots straight from the disc.
- The Blackmagic uses only standard connections, no custom cable required, providing great versatility for most productions. Dual balanced microphone/line audio inputs for recording high quality uncompressed audio is also available. A 3 Gb/s SDI out for on set monitoring or for sending to live production switchers is provided as well. The Blackmagic includes 12 to 30 VDC input for power and battery charging, a stereo mini (3.5mm) headphone output, a LANC remote control, and high speed Thunderbolt port for computer capture.
- Open File Formats
- The Blackmagic camera also uses standard file formats. The recording of native 2.5K resolution uses the open CinemaDNG format, delivering full 12-bit RAW recording quality, so it provides HD quality images. Additionally, you can choose 1080HD recording into ProRes and DNxHD compressed video formats for even greater compatibility.
- Included Software
- The Blackmagic Camera also comes with Full DaVinci Resolve 9.0 software including Resolve USB dongle for Mac and Windows. You can shoot wide dynamic range images and then make color correction decisions in post production with this, industry used, software. Also Media Express software for video capture from the camera's Thunderbolt port is provided, and UltraScope provides technically accurate waveform monitoring. You can also connect the camera to any computer using Thunderbolt to display six live scope views on a single monitor.