The K-5 IIs Digital SLR Camera from Pentax is a top-of-the-line APS-C DSLR camera. It offers a 16.3MP CMOS sensor with integrated Analog/Digital conversion circuitry for high resolution photos and video. And the K-5 IIs brings with it a new, highly advanced and extremely accurate 11 point SAFOX X autofocus system. This new autofocus system offers a wide EV focus range which means faster autofocus with less hunting in low-light situations and improved AF accuracy when using fast, wide-aperture lenses. The AF sensor also includes the Select-Area Expansion feature which automatically tracks moving subjects as they proceed across the frame.
The K-5 IIs distinguishes itself from the K-5 II because the anti-aliasing filter has been eliminated from its sensor's design. The filter reduces digital distortion, in particular the moiré pattern found in certain shots, however it also decreases detail resolution. Removing the anti-alias properties means the K-5 IIs offers superior resolution and intense details and is ideal for photographers who shoot in RAW and can control better moiré and distortion without the in-camera filtering.
The ISO sensitivity range on the K-5 IIs is impressive, ranging from 100-12800 in normal setting and expandable from 80-51200. Combine this with the Pentax body-based Shake Reduction stabilization system and you have a camera that performs incredibly well in low light situations and when shooting telephoto. Expect nothing but sharp, blur-free images in both photo and video. The K-5 IIs also allows for a shutter speed as fast as 1/8000 of a second which will stop fast motion subjects in their tracks and provide wonderfully detailed sports and wildlife shots. And, at 7 frames per second of continuous shooting, you will never miss that action shot! Accurate exposure metering is provided by the Pentax 77-segment metering system, so whether you prefer to shoot with auto exposure or with full manual control, the K-5 IIs is for you.
The K-5 IIs has Full HD 1080p video capture at 25 frames per second. Stereo sound recording is available via the built-in microphones or through external microphones connected at the camera's 3.5mm stereo microphone jack. An HDMI port connects your camera directly to HDTV and allows for immediate screening of your widescreen video in glorious HD.
For playback and composition, the K-5 IIs has an air-gap-free, scratch resistant 3.0" LCD with 921,000 dots of resolution that offers detailed and color-accurate images even in bright sunlight. A pentaprism viewfinder with 100% field of view and 0.92x magnification is available for classic SLR framing, and a built-in electronic level with tilt scale display will help keep images straight when shooting products or architecture.
For the photographers who shoot primarily in RAW, the Pentax K-5 IIs offers native support for both Pentax PEF and Adobe DNG 14-bit RAW files. A customizable RAW/Fx button allows for easy access to your most used shooting settings including immediate RAW access and the RAW Data Retrieve function saves the original RAW data of a just-recorded JPEG format image.
The Pentax K-5 IIs also has a wide range of in-camera image processing and filters available for creative touches and HDR capture to provide balanced exposures when shooting high contrast scenes.
While the Pentax K-5 IIs is a user-friendly camera accessible to all, it is particularly ideal for shooters who work in extreme conditions. A durable magnesium alloy cover surrounds a stainless steel chassis and the body is fully weather sealed with 77 protection seals throughout the body. It is cold proof to 14º F (-10°C) and has been tested to 100,000 shutter releases which means you can count on this camera, especially when the going gets tough.
Note: Please note - The K-5 IIs is optimized for photographers that want the maximum sharpness from RAW files. Those that shoot mostly JPEGs may want to choose the K-5 II model instead. To achieve maximum sharpness in RAW files, the low-pass filter in the K-5 IIs is not configured with anti-aliasing properties. While this may incur an increase in moiré patterns in some images, this presents less of a post-production concern when working exclusively with RAW files. JPEG formats that are affected by moiré could become more difficult to work in the post-production process.
- Anti-aliasing Filterless Design
- The K-5 IIs is offered without an anti-aliasing filter, which is commonly found in most DSLRs (including the K-5 II) in order to smooth computer generated imagery by decreasing high frequencies and distortion. However, the filter adversely reduces detail resolution. Without the filter, the K-5 IIs creates deeply rich, detailed imagery at supreme resolution levels. It is the perfect solution for photographers who practice commercial and studio photography where camera settings, lens selection, lighting, and other shooting conditions are controlled to prevent moiré.
- High resolution 16.3 megapixel CMOS sensor with integrated A/D conversion circuitry
- Highly advanced and accurate 11 point SAFOX X autofocus system improves low-light and wide aperture auto-focusing and provides more sophisticated focus tracking for moving subjects
- Widescreen 1080p HD video at 25 FPS, with sound via built-in or external 3.5mm stereo microphone jack
- High sensitivity 80-51200 ISO range with excellent noise performance
- Air-gap-free, scratch resistant, 3.0" LCD with 921,000 dots of resolution provides clear LCD viewing with minimal reflection
- Pentax body-based Shake Reduction (SR) stabilization system
- Fully weather sealed and coldproof design features 77 individual body seals and durable magnesium alloy covers surrounding a rugged stainless steel chassis
- The DR II (ultrasonic vibration to low pass filter) Dust Removal System with Dust Alert function keeps the sensor clean and free of dust specks
- Speedy 7 frames per second captures fast action shots
- Accurate 77 segment metering system for great auto exposure even in tricky lighting
- Power Zoom and SDM function for quiet and smooth auto focus
- Color Depth of 8 bits per channel in JPG
- Pentaprism viewfinder with 100% field of view, 0.92X magnification and a choice of three grid patterns while in Live View mode, including "Golden Section"
- Maximum 1/8000 second shutter speed
- Exposure Mode selection includes: Green, Hyper Program (P), Sensitivity Priority (Sv), Shutter Priority (Tv), Aperture Priority (Av), Shutter & Aperture Priority (TAv), Metered Manual, Bulb, X-Speed, USER (5 presets), Movie
- White Balance fine adjustment available in all White Balance modes and CTE mode, to automatically adjust the white balance to emphasize the dominant colors of a specific scene
- HDMI port outputs high definition images, video and sound to your HDTV
- Native support for both PENTAX PEF and Adobe DNG 14 bit RAW files
- Customizable RAW/Fx button for one-touch changeover from RAW to JPG or back. Also customizes other one-touch settings of importance to the shooter
- RAW data retrieve function to save the original RAW data of a just-recorded JPEG format image
- Built-in electronic level with tilt scale display.
- SDXC memory card compatibility
- In-camera HDR image capture and a wide range of in-camera image processing including Cross Process and Bleach Bypass
- Digital filters include: Toy Camera, Retro, High Contrast, Extract Color, Soft, Starburst, Fisheye, Posterization, Sketch and Custom
- Playback modes include: One Shot (no data, basic data, full data, color channel histogram, bright/dark indication, copyright info), Multi Image Display (4, 9, 16, 36, 81 thumbnails), Calendar Filmstrip, Folder, Magnification, Select & Delete, Movie Playback (no data, basic data, full data), Save RAW Data From JPG (if available in buffer memory)
- Supports the following languages: English, French, German, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Greek, Russian, Korean, Chinese (Simplified/Traditional), Japanese