The Pegasus J4 2.5" Thunderbolt Hard / Solid State Drive Enclosure (Empty) from Promise Technology is a disk array with four empty 2.5" bays for SATA hard disk (HDD) or solid state (SSD) drives (sold separately).
The array is equipped with two Thunderbolt 10Gb/s interfaces (cables sold separately) and delivers data transfer speeds of up to 480MB/s with 7200rpm HDDs or over 750MB/s with SSDs. It can be set up in a variety of RAID backup configurations, including RAID 0, 1 and JBOD, giving you the flexibility to choose higher data storage capacity or greater data protection.
The system supports daisy chaining up to 6 Thunderbolt-compatible devices. It is compatible with Mac OS X 10.6.8, 10.7.4, 10.7.5, 10.8 and 10.8.2. It supports Time Machine in Mac OS X. The enclosure is constructed from durable, lightweight aluminum.
- Empty enclosure with four SATA hard disk / solid state drive bays
- Connects to a computer via two Thunderbolt 10Gb/s interfaces (cables sold separately). Delivers up to 480MB/s with 7200rpm HDDs or over 750MB/s speeds with SSDs
- Choose from a variety of RAID backup configurations, including RAID 0, 1 and JBOD, giving you the flexibility to choose higher data storage capacity or greater data protection. RAID 0 offers no redundancy, so it gives you the least amount of data protection, but offers improved performance and additional storage (100% capacity). RAID 1 creates an exact copy (mirroring without parity or striping) of a set of data on 2 or more disks, for increased protection but reduced capacity and transfer speed. JBOD is Just a Bunch of Disks, offering no redundancy and therefore very little protection. Each disk is accessed directly as an independent drive. It differs from RAID 0 in that it does not truncate the other drives to the size of the smallest disk in the array. The hard drive array supports daisy chaining up to 6 Thunderbolt-compatible devices, meaning you can combine high levels of data protection with high capacity and transfer speeds by configuring 2 daisy chained J4 arrays in a RAID 10 (RAID 1 + RAID 0)
- Combine with a Mac mini to create a cost-effective server-storage solution. Benefit from the freedom to add more devices when you require additional storage capacity
- Compatible with Mac OS X 10.6.8, 10.7.4, 10.7.5, 10.8 and 10.8.2. Supports Time Machine
- Constructed from durable, lightweight aluminum