The Canon VIXIA HF R400 Full HD Camcorder records Full HD 1920 x 1080p video directly to an SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card. It supports Full HD still image capture as well. The camcorder features a 3.28 megapixel Full HD CMOS image sensor and a DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor. The HF R400 also employs a genuine Canon HD video lens with 53x Advanced Zoom and SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization with improved Dynamic Image Stabilization. For easy recording and instant playback, there's a 3" touch panel LCD as well.
Designed with all levels of users in mind, the HF R400 has a laundry list of features including MP4 and AVCHD recording, an innovative Baby Mode, Intelligent IS, Smart AUTO, a higher capacity battery for longer shooting sessions and more. For connectivity to your HDTV, the camcorder is equipped with a mini-HDMI output. Plus, for improved audio recording, the HF R400 has both a headphone and a microphone jack. You can also achieve a variety of cinematic effects using the integrated Cinema-Look Filters.
- Genuine Canon HD Video Lens with 53x Advanced Zoom
- The camcorder features a Genuine Canon HD Video Lens with an expanded 38.5mm (35mm equivalent) wide-angle area. It uses aspherical lens technology to achieve low chromatic aberration with high resolution while maintaining compact dimensions. Super spectra coating technology lowers flare and ghosting. The VIXIA HF R400 also features a 53x Advanced Zoom that takes the camcorder's telephoto power all the way to 1723mm (35mm equivalent) in manual mode. The camcorder offers continually variable Zoom Speed settings as well, with 15 levels available.
- SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization with Improved Dynamic Image Stabilization
- Canon's SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer corrects camera shake instantly, even when shooting handheld video at long focal lengths. The VIXIA HF R400's DIGIC DV 4 Image Processer allows for an improved Dynamic Image Stabilization mode. In addition to providing continuous adjustment throughout the entire zoom range to correct a broad range of motion, with extra compensation applied at wide-angle focal lengths, the system also stabilizes rotational camera shake. Controlling rotational camera shake - horizontal, vertical and roll axis - promotes distortion-free video, even when you're walking and shooting.
- 3.28 Megapixel Full HD CMOS Image Sensor
- The VIXIA HF R400 is equipped with a 3.28 megapixel Full HD CMOS image sensor for true 1920 x 1080 resolution. Canon's high-resolution HD CMOS image sensor features extra sensitivity for lifelike Full HD video with natural color, even in low light. Original on-chip noise reduction helps bring bright clarity to every frame as well, so your video is clear and detailed, even when played back on a large HDTV.
- DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor
- The VIXIA HF R400 incorporates Canon's advanced DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor, which is a significant upgrade from previous models. The DIGIC DV 4 Image Processor captures more light, for brighter, noise-free images even in dark scenes. And, it supports improved image stabilization.
- Record to Removable SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Cards
- The VIXIA HF R400 camcorder records Full HD video directly to a removable SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card. Widely available in several capacities, SD memory cards let you share your videos quickly and easily. Since the VIXIA HF R400 supports super-high capacity SDXC cards, you'll be able to hold up to 128GB and transfer data faster.
- MP4 (35Mbps) or AVCHD Progressive (28Mbps) Recording
- The VIXIA HF R400 lets you record AVCHD or MP4 files. 1080/60p recording captures twice the amount of information as 60i, and with images captured at a rate of 60 frames per second, diagonal noise is minimized so even fast moving subjects are clearly recorded. 1080/60p recording also means that the still images you extract are high quality as well. The camera supports an improved bit rate of 28Mbps for AVCHD recording, and MP4 files are captured at a bit rate of up to 35Mbps.
- 3" Capacitive Touch Panel LCD
- The VIXIA HF R400 features a 3" capacitive touch panel LCD screen that makes shooting and other operations fast and easy. Opening the panel turns the power on and a gentle touch activates intuitive functions. Choose a focal point, track moving subjects, control exposure for selected areas and operate camcorder controls from the screen - all with a touch control. In addition, the user interface has been updated. The Home button is on the menu screen and you can quickly access all functions. Plus, clear explanations for key settings pop up when selecting shooting modes and recording formats, so you can be confident in the decisions you make.
- Baby Mode
The VIXIA HF R400 features Canon's Baby Mode - a complete solution for capturing, tracking, organizing and sharing every moment of your baby's development. A custom control button on the shooting screen activates the mode, and optimal settings for the shooting conditions, including Intelligent IS and more, are automatically selected. Videos shot in Baby Mode are automatically saved into a dedicated Baby Album so they won't get lost among your other videos. You can view the Baby Album chronologically as well.
When shooting in Baby Mode, the camcorder's Pre-Record (Pre REC) function is always on. This places the camcorder in a stand-by "pre-roll" mode, where it continuously records three seconds of video to memory before you even press the record button. When you start recording, the additional video is recorded too, so you won't miss your baby's "first" moments.
Touch Decoration in Baby Mode includes stamps to mark each video with your baby's current height and weight. And with a single registration of the baby's birth date, the camcorder will automatically calculate the number of days old and stamp videos accordingly, creating an exact diary of developmental milestones for years to come. The camcorder's other Baby Mode Touch Decoration options allow you to add your own drawings, captions, animations and more. All options can be appended to previously shot video as well.
- Higher Capacity Battery
- The VIXIA HF R400 is powered by a higher capacity battery pack than previous Canon camcorders. The rechargeable lithium-ion battery not only lets you shoot longer, but features intelligent technology that accurately indicates remaining battery time down to the minute.
- Intelligent IS
- Intelligent IS makes it easier to shoot clear, sharply focused video, even in situations that typically cause camera shake. The Intelligent IS system analyzes the shooting situation for you, and then automatically switches to the image stabilization method best able to produce sharp, steady video. Four IS systems cover the gamut of shooting situations. Dynamic IS corrects minor movement and the shaking caused by walking while shooting. Macro IS delivers perfectly steady close-up shots. Powered IS comes into play when you're using the camcorder's powerful zoom. It helps correct camera shake that can occur in telephoto shots. There's even a Tripod Mode that stops IS when the camcorder is stationary.
- Increased Audio Adjustability
- The VIXIA HF R400 camcorder's microphone has updated elements that increase clarity at medium and low frequencies, so even faint sounds are recorded clearly. Three microphone positions let you adjust recording to suit the position of the zoom or your subjects: front for monaural recording; regular for normal stereo effect; and rear for a wider, more enhanced stereo effect. Frequency response characteristics can be adjusted for the scene with several options. You can balance all frequencies for normal recording, emphasize low frequencies for impactful live music recording, attenuate low frequencies to reduce ambient noise, emphasize mid frequencies to focus on voices, or emphasize low and high frequencies to record live music with balanced lows and highs.
- Audio Scene Select
- Audio Scene Select offers five modes that automatically optimize settings based on the recording situation, making it easier to record realistic, immersive audio in a range of situations.
- Smart AUTO & Auto Tele Macro
- Smart AUTO takes care of all the details so you can focus on shooting. The system recognizes 38 shooting situations based on numerous factors, and then automatically chooses the optimal settings for the situation. When you shoot a nearby subject in telephoto zoom mode, Auto Tele Macro gives your video the high-end artistic effect of a well-focused subject against a beautifully blurred background.
- Cinema-Look Filters
- This feature offers a choice of seven varied built-in adjustable filters, which give the look of a variety of cinematic styles by compensating for the color, gamma and other aspects of the image's quality. The looks can be previewed in the LCD display while shooting, and also applied post-capture for additional convenience and versatility. Choose from Cinema Standard, Old Movies, Vivid, Cool, Nostalgic, Dramatic Black-and-White or Sepia. The brightness of each filter can be adjusted low, medium or high, for even greater control. When Cinema Standard is selected, color depth, softening, and contrast can also be adjusted
- Open & Shoot
- Advanced Quick Start allows you to start shooting immediately whenever the action starts. Just open the LCD screen and the power is on. Shut down is just as easy: simply close the screen.
- Ultra Clear Viewing
- The display quality of the camcorder's LCD screen has been boosted with innovative technology. Vivid Clear View affords a sharp, bright, detailed display that helps you create your best videos.
- Video SnapShot
- Video SnapShot allows you record a series of short video clips - or select your favorite clips while in Playback Mode - and blend in your favorite background music to create a movie that will grab everyone's attention. Video SnapShot allows selectable recording time (2, 4, or 8 seconds). Additionally, audio from an external source such as an MP3 player can be played along with the SnapShot movie, and playback can be controlled from that source.
- Programmed AE features Smart Auto, Manual Mode (Portrait, Sports, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Night, Low Light, Spotlight, Fireworks), Cinema Mode, Baby Mode
- TTL focusing system
- Auto, Daylight, Tungsten and Manual white balance options
- Manual exposure available
- Camcorder includes PIXELA video browser / Network Utility Disc editing software