The Fujifilm FinePix HS50EXR Digital Camera features a 16 megapixel 1/2" EXR CMOS II sensor and an EXR Processor II image processor to provide high quality imagery and performance throughout the camera system. The combination of these two technologies enables a high sensitivity to ISO 12800, fast continuous shooting up to 11fps, and the integration of EXR Auto to automatically provide optimum shooting settings depending on the scene in which you are photographing. The image sensor also incorporates phase-detection pixels into its design to enable Intelligent Hybrid AF, which provides quick and accurate focusing capabilities through the use of both contrast- and phase-detection methods of acquiring focus. Phase-detection AF also benefits the Full HD 1920 x 1080p video capabilities by offering full-time continuous AF with face tracking while recording movies.
Where the HS50EXR truly separates itself is through the inclusion of a 42x optical manual zoom lens, which gives a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 24-1000mm. This super telephoto lens is greatly benefited through the inclusion of lens-shift type image stabilization, which helps to reduce the appearance of camera shake that can become increasingly noticeable at longer zoom lengths. Aspherical and ED elements are incorporated into the lens construction to minimize chromatic aberration and the lens elements also feature a Super EBC (Electron Beam Coating) for lessening lens flare and ghosting.
For image review and monitoring, both a rear LCD monitor and an eye-level electronic viewfinder are available. The 3.0" 920k-dot LCD monitor features a vari-angle design that permits easier high and low-angle shooting and also facilitates easier self-portraiture. The electronic viewfinder also has a 920k-dot resolution and the eye-level viewing capabilities provide an additional point of contact between yourself and the camera for greater shooting stability.
Amongst other features available, Film Simulation makes use of Fujifilm's extensive history of producing films and enables you to apply certain characteristics to your imagery to mimic the look of certain Fujifilm reversal films. Also available are eight different Advanced Filters to further enhance the aesthetic appearance of your photographs.
- Fujinon 42x Optical Manual Zoom Lens
The most pronounced feature on the FinePix HS50EXR is the 42x optical manual zoom lens, giving a 35mm-equivalent zoom range of 24-1000mm. This lens has a maximum aperture of f/2.8-5.6 and utilizes lens-shift type image stabilization to counter the effects of camera shake that become more apparent when shooting at longer focal lengths. Aspherical and ED lens elements are incorporated into the lens construction to reduce the appearance of chromatic aberration and color fringing throughout the zoom range. Additionally, the lens elements feature Super EBC coatings on both surfaces to minimize lens flare and ghosting in difficult lighting situations.
Digital Zoom is available to effectively double the zoom range to an impressive 84x, providing the equivalent of a 2000mm lens. The EXR sensor also contributes to improving the image quality with Digital Zoom by minimizing the appearance of noise in flat areas and adding contrast and sharpening in edge areas to give more apparent image clarity.
- 16MP 1/2" EXR CMOS II Sensor
- The 16 megapixel 1/2" EXR CMOS II sensor is able to deliver high resolution imagery with tremendous quality and notable low-light performance. When combined with the EXR Processor II, high speed shooting capabilities up to 11fps are available as well as fast 0.5 sec. startup and shooting times.
- EXR Auto
The EXR Auto modes automatically select optimum camera settings to best suit the scenario in which you are photographing. 108 unique settings are able to be applied to images, and are determined through a system that analyzes subject motion, whether or not the subject is a person, and the type of setting in which the image is being taken. Advanced Anti Blur can also be applied to imagery, which will improve overall sharpness and definition by combining a series of short exposures into a single frame.
Additionally, three distinct sensor modes can also be applied depending on your intended results in regard to the shooting conditions. HR (High Resolution) mode focuses on resolving the greatest amount of detail within the scene for more vivid colors and image sharpness. DR (Dynamic Range) mode captures two images simultaneously and then combines them to render a final image with increased shadow and highlight detail. SN (High Sensitivity and Low Noise) mode makes use of the sensor and processor relationship to produce clear imagery with reduced noise in dimly-lit situations.
- Intelligent Hybrid AF
- Intelligent Hybrid AF is a quick, responsive autofocus system that employs both contrast- and phase-detection methods to acquire focus quickly in a wide variety of shooting situations. Clear focus can be attained in as little as 0.05 second to aid in catching fast-paced movement more easily.
- Full HD Movie Capabilities
- Full HD movie recording is possible up to 1920 x 1080p at 60fps to produce high quality, smoothly-depicted movement. Continuous phase-detection autofocus is available during recording, which can be further refined through the use of face-tracking AF to maintain sharp focus on the subject of your choice while filming. You can also take still photographs during recording and take high-speed movies with frame rates up to 480fps for slow motion playback. For greater control and quality over your sound with movies, an optional external stereo microphone is available and can be connected using the dedicated input. Movie playback is possible on an HDTV through an HDMI connection directly from the camera.
- 3.0" Vari-Angle LCD Monitor and EVF
The HS50EXR is equipped with both a rear LCD monitor and an eye-level electronic viewfinder for monitoring and reviewing imagery. The 3.0" 920k-dot LCD monitor features a vari-angle design that allows you to swivel and tilt the monitor to better suit shooting from high and low angles. The monitor can also face forward to enable easier self-portrait recording. The electronic viewfinder also has a 920k-dot resolution and has a built-in eye sensor to deactivate the larger LCD monitor during use. The EVF enables eye-level shooting, which provides an additional point of contact to better aid in steadying your camera while shooting.
Also making use of the clear LCD monitor, focus peaking is available to allow a more objective style of manually focusing by highlighting sharp edges and lines of contrast in a bright, apparent manner. An electronic level can be applied during shooting, too, to help maintain level horizons and plumb verticals.
- Menus and Shooting Modes
To render menu navigation more efficiently, the Q (Quick Menu) Button is available to give direct access to many of the most frequently used camera settings including ISO, white balance, Film Simulation, file type, and more.
Program AE, Shutter Priority AE, Aperture Priority AE, and Manual shooting modes are available in addition to the wealth of automatic shooting modes in order to give you more precise, self-defined control over how the camera records imagery. If letting the camera control the exposure settings for you, there are a range of Scene Positions available for pre-selection to aid in ensuring your images are rendered correctly according to the scene you are photographing in. These options are: Portrait, Portrait Enhancer, Landscape, Sport, Night, Night (Tripod), Fireworks, Sunset, Snow, Beach, Party, Flower, and Text.
- Film Simulation and Advanced Filters
Taking advantage of Fujifilm's vast history in traditional film-based photography, the HS50EXR integrates several Film Simulation modes to mimic the look and feel of some Fujifilm's classic reversal film types: PROVIA offers natural-looking tones for everyday shooting, VELVIA produces a more dramatic and rich tonality with deeper color saturation, and ASTIA gives less contrast for a softer depiction of skin tones. Additionally, Black & White and Sepia modes are also available for a classic, monochromatic appearance.
Eight Advanced Filters are also integrated for further aesthetic enhancement of your photographs: Pop Color, Toy Camera, Miniature, High-Key, Partial Color (Red, Orange, Green, Blue, and Purple), Dynamic Tone, Low-Key, and Soft Focus.
- Other Camera Features
- Three different auto bracketing modes are available: Dynamic Range, Film Simulation, and Auto Exposure.
- RAW and RAW+JPEG image formats are supported and SILKYPIX RAW conversion software is included with the camera for processing and viewing these file types on your computer.
- Motion panorama mode allows you to record expansive views up to 360° wide in a seamless, sweeping manner.
- Multiple exposure mode gives you the ability to overlay subsequently-recorded images in-camera.
- Pro Focus Mode with Face Detection emulates the look of selective focus and shallow depth of field techniques by recording multiple images: the first being of the main subject, then subsequent images of the background. These images are then paired to realize a sharp, in-focus main subject with a soft, out of focus background.
- Pro Low-Light Mode automatically records four high sensitivity and low-noise exposures within a single frame to help reduce overall noise levels and heighten sensitivity.
- Built-in social networking allows you to pre-tag and label images and video in-camera prior to offloading the imagery to your computer. Once tagged and delegated to the social platform of your choice, the images will be automatically uploaded once you connect the camera to your computer.
- 4:3, 3:2, 16:9, and 1:1 aspect ratios are supported.
- Compatible with Eye-Fi X2 or later wireless-enabled SD memory cards.