With a notably slim, compact design and ADI / P-TTL support, the HVL-F20M External Flash from Sony is ideal for those looking to add a little fill light to their images or for use as a wireless TTL controller for off-camera flash units without adding too much weight to their gear bag. It offers a modest guide number of 66' at ISO 100 and 50mm along with two coverage settings for 27mm or 50mm with full-frame sensors. Also, the unit can tilt the flashtube upward 75° for achieving softer, more diffuse bounce lighting.
For remote triggering of additional off-camera flash units, the HVL-F20M is able to work as a TTL controller. Also, it has slow, first and second curtain sync settings and will recycle in 0.1 to 5 seconds. Additionally, it runs on 2 AAA batteries and comes with a terminal protector cap and a carrying case.
This unit is compatible with Sony's Multi Interface Shoe and is not natively compatible with the older Sony/Minolta Auto-Lock Accessory Shoe. Though, with the use of ADP-AMA Shoe Adapter, Sony cameras with the Auto-Lock Accessory Shoe can be adapted to use Multi Interface Shoe external flashes with full compatibility.
- Advance Distance Integration (ADI) flash metering works with cameras and lenses with distance encoders to more accurately balance flash output with ambient light and subject reflectivity by taking camera-to-subject distance into account
- Effective range of 3.3 to 16.4' when used at ISO 100 and f/2.8
- Battery life of approximately 90-150 flashes
- White balance information is automatically transferred to the camera
- Turn the flash on or off by simply raising or lowering the flash unit
- Locking foot
- Flash-ready indicator light