The black X-M1 Mirrorless Digital Camera with XC 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS Lens from Fujifilm is a high performance X-mount camera that takes its place alongside the X-Pro1 and X-E1 as Fujifilm's premiere mirrorless cameras and shares with them the handsome retro form factor, APS-C X-Trans sensor, Full HD 1080p Video, a host of high-end functions and access to the growing list of Fuji X-mount lenses. Where it differs from the others is in size (it is the most compact), its built-in Wi-Fi capability, its user-friendly interface and large tilt-able LCD monitor.
The X-M1 houses a 16.3MP X-Trans CMOS sensor which offers a unique color filter pixel array that eliminates its low pass filter and reduces moiré and false colors, resulting in exceptionally accurate color imaging, low noise and high resolution in the APS-C format. The EXR Processor II image processor enables high-performance speeds for both photo functions and Full HD 1080/30p video capture. In video mode, sound can be recorded through the built-in stereo microphone. ISO sensitivity can be extended to 25600 for clear imaging in low light and continuous shooting of 5.6 fps is supported.
A large 3.0" TFT LCD monitor with 920k-dot resolution provides image composition and playback and its ability to flip up 90º and down 50º allows you to shoot at odd angles and adjust for glare and bright sun. Wi-Fi connectivity is supported on the X-M1 and allows for transfer of images to your Android or iOS mobile device. The Fujifilm Camera App allows you to browse the image contents of your camera from your mobile device and transfer up to 30 images at a time and the Photo Receiver App lets you immediately share images to a friend's smartphone.
The X-M1 measure just 4.6" wide and features the retro rangefinder form with simple control dials, a hot shoe mount and pop-up flash on its top plate. The main mode dial offers access to both its manual exposure modes, helpful scene modes and advanced features. A rubber thumb grip on the back provides a stable spot to hold the camera and places your thumb directly on a control dial for easy settings adjustment and one-handed operation. A one-touch video record button is located just beneath the thumb grip as well.
As mentioned, the X-M1 is compatible with all of the Fujifilm X-mount lenses and numerous others via the appropriate adapter. Here it is bundled with the black XC 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS lens which offers the 35mm focal length equivalency of 24-76mm, wide-angle to short telephoto lengths. It features optical image stabilization for compensation against camera shake, creating blur-free images when using slower shutter speeds. A stepping motor provides smooth and accurate autofocus and three aspherical lens elements and one extra low dispersion element minimize aberrations.
- 16.3MP APS-C X-Trans CMOS Sensor and EXR Processor II
- Moire is tackled at its root cause by the revolutionary X-Trans CMOS sensor's color filter array. By enhancing aperiodicity (randomness) in the array arrangement, the color filter minimizes generation of both moire and false colors, eliminating the necessity for an optical low-pass filter in the lens and enabling X-Trans CMOS sensor to capture full "unfiltered" lens performance. The EXR Processor II is supported by an integrated co-processor for higher speed and higher precision image processing performance.
- X Mount
- Taking full advantage of the mirrorless design, the mount boasts a short 17.7mm flange back distance, a wider opening, and deeper mounting of the lens, resulting in reduced back focus distance while achieving high resolution throughout the image area. When an X-mount lens is mounted, all lens information is instantly communicated to the body, integrating them into a seamless, responsive instrument.
- 3.0" 920k-Dot Tilt LCD Monitor
- Compose and playback your photos and videos on this LCD with special anti-reflective coating that reduces glare and is resistant to stains, smudges and water. A large and high resolution screen, it is capable of tilting up and down for taking advantage of odd angle shooting.
- Full HD 1080p Video with Stereo Sound
- Capture the action in Full HD movies (1920 x 1080/30p). In addition to full AUTO exposure, you can also shoot with aperture priority AE. Taking full advantage of the bright XF lenses, you can also capture movies with a beautiful defocused background. Later with plug-and-play ease, you can connect directly to your HDTV with an HDMI cable and share your movies complete with stereo audio.
- Built-in Wi-Fi Connectivity
- With integrated Wi-Fi you can link your camera to your smartphone to transfer and back-up images and using Fuji's Photo Receiver App it's possible to send your photos to a friend's smartphone the moment you take them. Geotagging is also supported with a wireless connection.
- Focal Plane Shutter
- The X-M1 is designed with a focal plane shutter that sits immediately in front of the sensor and can provide the camera with fast shutter speeds, up to 1/4000 second.
- High Speed Contrast Autofocus
- Thanks to the high speed X-Trans CMOS sensor and newly developed EXR Processor II, contrast detection has improved and the X-M1 can autofocus in as little as 0.1 seconds and continuous high-speed shooting of up to 5.6 frames per second will allow you to capture fast-moving subjects. Autofocus is TTL Contrast AF with an available AF assist illuminator. AF Frame selection offers Area Frame with 49 areas and Multi Frame with 5 frame types.
- Film Simulation Modes
- The X-M1 can simulate the color and tonal qualities of acclaimed films including the natural look of PROVIA, the saturated colors of Velvia and the beautiful skin tones of ASTIA. Film Simulation mode makes it simple to capture the expressive color quality of the rich legacy of Fujifilm photo film technology. There are 10 Film Simulation Modes: PROVIA, Velvia, ASTIA, PRO Neg Hi, PRO Neg. Std., Monochrome, Monochrome+Ye Filter, Monochrome+R Filter, Monochrome+G Filter and Sepia.
- QuickStart Mode
- QuickStart Mode will power-up your camera and have you ready to shoot in as little as 0.5 seconds. Never miss a shot because you were ready but your camera wasn't. When QuickStart mode is turned off, camera will start in approximately 1.0 second.
- Auto Bracketing
- Auto Bracketing is a way to make sure you get the correctly exposed shot by shooting three continuous shots at slightly different levels. You can set Auto Bracketing for: AE Bracketing (+-1/3EV, +-2/3EV, +1EV); Film Simulation Bracketing (Any three types of film simulation selectable); Dynamic Range Bracketing (100%, 200%, 400%) and ISO Sensitivity Bracketing (+-1/3EV, +-2/3EV, +1EV).
- JPEG and RAW Capture
- Shoot in JPG or RAW and enjoy in-camera processing of the RAW files. The built-in RAW data converter lets you view results in the field without first transferring the data to your computer. This easy-to-use feature not only takes into account exposure compensation, white balance and other in-camera image quality settings, but also lets you apply Film Simulation modes in the converter mode.
- Built-in Flash and Hot Shoe Mount
- The X-M1 provides a built-in pop-up flash and a hot shoe mount and TTL (Through the Lens) Flash Sync. Maximum sync speed for flash is 1/180th of a second. The "intelligent" pop-up flash delivers the ideal amount of light for every scene, including those with strong backlight and those in very dim light. In macro shooting, the flash adjusts to not washout the image with too much light.
- Multiple Exposure
- The X-M1 can simulate Multiple Exposure Film Technique. Just select Multiple Exposure mode and take your first shot. Next, while viewing the first image, you can frame and shoot the second exposure. This ability to precisely position and focus the second shot lets you not only see how the finished Multiple Exposure image will look, but also explore other creative photographic possibilities.
- Photography Functions
- Face Detection, Auto Red-eye Removal, Setting (Color, Sharpness, D-range, Gradation), Multiple exposure, Depth of Field display, Histogram display, Framing guideline, Frame No. memory, Monitor Sunlight mode, Focus Peak Highlight, Date stamp, Fn button setting.
- Playback Functions
- RAW conversion, Image rotate, Auto image rotate, Red-eye reduction, Photobook assist, Erase selected frames, Image search, Multi-frame playback (with micro thumbnail), Slide show, Mark for upload, Protect, Crop, Resize, Favorites.
- Other Functions
- PictBridge, Exif Print, Language Selection, Time Difference, Quick Start Mode, Silent Mode
- Advanced Filters
- Toy camera, Miniature, Pop color, High-key, Low-key, Dynamic tone, Soft focus, Partial color (Red/Orange/Yellow/Green/Blue/Purple）
- Magnesium Alloy Body
- The magnesium alloy body provides not only classic good looks but durability. The design of the X-M1 with on-body controls and dials is not only user-friendly but helps give the camera its retro flair.
- XC 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS lens
- The black XC 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS lens offers the 35mm focal length equivalency of 24-76mm which covers wide-angle to short telephoto lengths. It provides optical image stabilization for compensation against camera shake, creating blur-free images when using slower shutter speeds. A stepping motor provides smooth and accurate autofocus and three aspherical lens elements and one extra low dispersion element minimize aberrations.