The Alpha SLT-A65 Digital SLR Camera with DT 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 SAM II Lens from Sony is a versatile and high performance DSLR that is bundled here with an 18-55mm lens which offers the 35mm equivalent focal length of 27-82.5mm for wide-angle to short telephoto shooting situations. The SLT-A65 houses a 24.3MP APS-C sensor and the BIONZ image processor for particularly sharp imaging in both stills mode and Full HD 1080 video. The Sony Translucent Mirror technology allows light to hit both the image sensor and the Phase detection AF sensor at the same time, thus offering faster and more accurate autofocus as well as continuous shooting speeds of up to 10 fps at full resolution. ISO sensitivity up to 16000 enables clear shooting in low light and SteadyShot INSIDE in-camera image stabilization compensates for camera shake to give you blur-free images when shooting with slower shutter speeds.
The Tru-Finder OLED electronic viewfinder provides bright, high-resolution eye-level composition with 2359k-dot resolution and accurate colors. Camera adjustments can be viewed in real time and menu options are visible within the viewfinder. In addition, a 3.0-inch Xtra Fine LCD monitor with 921K-dot resolution and 100% field of view is available for composition and playback. Sunny Weather mode enables the LCD to be seen in bright light and tilt and swivel functionality lets you easily shoot at odd angles.
Full HD 1080 video capture is supported at 60i, 60p and 24p with the AVCHD progressive codec. The MP4 codec is also available to create smaller files ready for internet upload. Full manual exposure control in video mode and a built-in stereo microphone is available for professional results.
The SLT-A65 is a camera for all levels of shooters and provides full manual exposure control and dual media card slots as well as many assistive and creative functions. Auto HDR enables taking balanced shots of high contrast scenes, Sweep-panorama makes taking panorama images easy and Face Detection provides optimal camera settings when shooting portraits and group shots. Numerous Scene modes allow for auto adjustments to match the exact scene you are shooting and Picture Effects lets you add creative touches to your images. A pop-up flash is available as is a hot shoe mount for an external flash.
The DT 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 SAM II lens is a particularly compact zoom lens given its equivalent focal length range of 27-82.5mm. The SAM (Smooth Autofocus Motor) responds very quickly yet focuses smoothly and silently, which is especially helpful when shooting video. Two aspherical lenses and one ED (Extra-low Dispersion) lens element minimize aberrations for impressive image quality.
- 24.3MP Exmor HD APS CMOS Sensor and BIONZ Image Processor
- The 24.3MP APS-C-sized Exmor HD CMOS sensor produces high resolution imagery that exhibits notable low-light sensitivity to ISO 16000 with advanced noise reduction technologies. The BIONZ image processer also contributes to a high image quality and also provides enhanced speed and performance throughout the camera system, including a fast full-resolution continuous shooting rate of 10 fps.
- 2nd Generation Translucent Mirror Technology
- Translucent Mirror Technology is a unique design that enables the mirror to continuously direct light to both image and autofocus sensors to provide continuous phase- and contrast-detection focusing for quick and precise performance. The additional speed afforded to the camera by eliminating the need for a swinging mirror benefits many shooting features including the fast continuous shooting rate, continuous focusing when shooting movies and working in continuous shooting modes, and also allows for the use of a high resolution electronic viewfinder for eye-level live view monitoring.
- 15-Point Continuous Autofocus
- Utilizing the Translucent Mirror Technology, the autofocus system is able to continuously monitor the image frame and alter the autofocus quickly and responsively. This continuous focusing is especially useful when critical focus is required during video recording or when shooting in continuous modes. It uses 15 points, including three cross-type sensors, for a great deal of accuracy and speed when determining focus placement. The focusing system also works in collaboration with subject recognition technologies to provide enhanced focus tracking, Object Tracking AF, that can lock onto subjects and maintain focus even while zooming and when the subject is moving within the frame.
- Sony DT 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 SAM II Lens
- The included 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens has a 35mm-equivalent focal length range of 27-82.5mm and features a portable design that makes it ideal for use in a wide variety of shooting situations. The integrated SAM (Smooth Autofocus Motor) provides quiet, quick, and precise focusing that well-suits video applications and tracking of moving subjects. Additionally, this lens features a refined rear element shade that helps to minimize internal surface reflections and prevent flare and ghosting in order to produce clear, contrast-rich imagery.
- OLED EVF and Tilting LCD Monitor
For live view monitoring, image review and playback, and menu navigation two distinct viewing options are available: a high-resolution electronic viewfinder or a large rear LCD monitor.
- The 0.5" XGA Tru-Finder OLED EVF features a bright and sharp 2,359k-dot resolution and provides 100% frame coverage for complete compositional accuracy. The finder has adjustable magnification and eye-point settings for more comfortable viewing possibilities and the eye-level viewing position can also serve as an additional point of contact between oneself and the camera for greater stability when shooting with longer lenses and in low-light conditions.
- The rear 3.0" 921k-dot Xtra Fine LCD monitor provides a larger medium for viewing and composing imagery. TruBlack technology is integrated into the design to promote greater visibility in bright conditions and it also features a tilting design that can turn downward 180° and then rotate 90° in either clockwise or counter-clockwise orientation to support working from high and low angles.
- Full HD Video Recording
- Full HD 1920 x 1080 video recording is supported in both 60i/p and 24p frame rates in the high-quality AVCHD version 2.0 format. The Translucent Mirror Technology enables both full-time live view monitoring and continuous autofocus while recording for greater precision and ensured sharpness. Additionally, recording is also possible at 1080/30p in the MP4 format for a more streamlined workflow when shooting for web purposes. When recording videos, full manual exposure control is also available in P/A/S/M modes for greater versatility in how videos look. An HDMI port is integrated into the camera's design to support high definition playback on an HDTV and, additionally, the BRAVIA Sync system is available for playback control using a BRAVIA television's remote control.
- SteadyShot INSIDE Image Stabilization
- Sony's SteadyShot INSIDE is in-camera, sensor-shift type image stabilization that helps to reduce the appearance of camera shake in order to produce sharper, clearer imagery. Since the image stabilization system is housed within the camera body, any compatible A-mount lens can be used in conjunction with the A65 to receive image stabilization benefits.
- Multi Frame NR and Hand-held Twilight
- Similar in theory to an HDR image, Multi Frame NR and Hand-held Twilight feature a noise reduction technology that automatically combines six different images into one file for a reduction in noise up to two ISO stops (to an equivalent of ISO 25600). These modes also provide you with the ability to make handheld exposures with minimal image blur due to the fact that six individual exposures are being made at a faster shutter speeds compared to one long exposure.
- Other Camera Features
- A short shutter release lag time of only 0.05 seconds benefits working with fast-moving subjects and for more spontaneous shooting.
- Sweep Panorama mode allows you to automatically create a broad panoramic image simply by pressing the shutter and panning about the scene. Individual exposure will be stitched into a single clean image exhibiting a much broader perspective than normal. 3D Sweep Panorama functions similarly and allows you to produce wide-ranging 3D images that are saved in the MPO file format.
- AUTO+ (Advanced Auto) mode combines a host of intelligent exposure technologies to analyze the scene at hand in order to produce clean, vivid imagery in a direct and intuitive manner.
- Dynamic Range Optimizer (DRO) improves the image and exposure quality when working with backlit and high contrast situations by increasing the amount of detail within shadow and highlight regions.
- Advanced Anti-Dust Technology works to keep the surface of the CMOS sensor clean and dust-particle-free by way of a static-free coating and a vibration mechanism to dislodge any dust on the surface.
- Face Detection and Recognition can recognize and prioritize up to eight individual faces and adjust focus, exposure, white balance, and flash in order to highlight the intended subjects.
- In addition to a host of intelligent auto shooting modes, full manual control is also possible in Program, Aperture-Priority, Shutter-Priority, and Manual settings. On-screen prompts and tips are available, too, to help refine usage of these modes.
- The memory slot in the A65 accepts both SD/SDHC/SDXC and Memory Stick PRO Duo/Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo type memory cards.
- 11 Picture Effects settings are available for creatively enhancing the look of imagery: Posterization (Color, B&W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (Red, Green, Blue, Yellow), Soft High-Key, High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-Tone Monochrome, and Miniature.