The Satellite S55-A5279 15.6" Notebook Computer from Toshiba features an ice silver finish with a brushed aluminum design. The 15.6" TruBrite LED-backlit display has a 16:9 aspect ratio and a 1366 x 768 native resolution, which is powered by a dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M graphics card with 2GB of GDDR3 discrete memory and has native support for 720p HD content. The screen also has a glossy finish for vibrant color.
The system is powered by a quad-core 4th generation Haswell 2.4GHz Intel Core i7-4700MQ processor. It also has 8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L RAM, a 1TB 5400rpm hard drive, a SuperMulti DVD burner, a multi-format media card reader, 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, an integrated webcam and microphone. There are also built-in harman/kardon stereo speakers with DTS Studio Sound technology.
Windows 8 (64-bit) is the installed operating system. Windows 8 replaces the traditional Start menu with a redesigned Start screen. The Start screen features tiles, which provide notifications in real-time. Windows 8 also focuses more on cloud storage as well as apps, which can be downloaded from the Windows Store. Windows 8 provides a unique user experience that differs from previous versions of Windows.
Toshiba Satellite S55
- Quad-Core 4th-Gen Haswell Intel Core i7 Performance
- This Toshiba computer houses a 4th-generation Haswell Intel Core i7-4700MQ processor. Its quad cores can reach a stock speed of 2.4GHz. The processor can also be overclocked up to 3.4GHz, thanks to Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 technology. The fourth generation Intel Core i7 processor uses less voltage than its predecessor for improved battery life. With a dedicated 6MB L3 cache, 8GB of DDR3L RAM and Intel Hyper-Threading technology, you'll be able to experience smooth and seamless multitasking
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M Graphics
- Using performance efficient NVIDIA Kepler architecture, the dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M graphics card with 2GB of GDDR3 discrete memory provides efficient performance and high quality graphics. The SMS streaming multiprocessor is twice as efficient as the prior generation and the new geometry engine draws triangles twice as fast. The NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M utilizes DirectX with Shader Model 5.0 support designed for ultra high performance in GPU-accelerated tessellation. You won't have to deal with jagged edges and screen tearing because the NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M graphics card provides smooth visual effects and stunning HD quality
- 15.6" TruBrite LED-Backlit Display
- The 15.6" TruBrite widescreen display of the Toshiba Satellite S55 features LED backlighting, a 16:9 aspect ratio and a 1366 x 768 native resolution, which can play 720p HD content natively without upscaling. The screen also features a glossy finish for vibrant color. You can also output video to an external display via the HDMI port
- Stay Connected
- The Toshiba Satellite S55 can connect to a home or public wireless network via 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi. If you require a more reliable Internet connection, you can utilize the 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet RJ-45 LAN jack. You can also utilize the Bluetooth 4.0 technology to wirelessly connect to Bluetooth-compatible devices such as a mouse
- USB 3.0 & USB Sleep and Charge
- USB 3.0 can provide data transfer speeds of up to 5Gbps, which is 10 times faster than USB 2.0. USB 3.0 is also backwards compatible with USB 2.0 as well. The Toshiba Satellite S55 also has a USB 2.0 port with USB Sleep and Charge, which allows you to charge a USB device, such as a smartphone, even when the Toshiba Satellite S55 is shut down
- With Toshiba Resolution+ Upconvert Technology for Media Player, you'll be able to upscale standard definition DVD content to HD quality for sharper picture and vibrant color. Please note that viewing enhancements may vary depending upon content quality and display device capability, functionality and settings
- Eco Utility
- Quickly adjust the settings and power plan of your Toshiba Satellite S55 and monitor your ongoing power usage with just a click
- The Redesigned Start Screen
- Windows 8 introduces a new Start screen, which has all the information you need in one place. The traditional Windows desktop screen has been replaced with a tablet style design featuring tiles. Tiles are customizable as well as update in real time. News, weather forecasts, sports, contacts, apps and more are available for you to use. It's all right there on the Start screen
- To the Cloud
- With Windows 8, when signed in using your Microsoft account, you'll have instant access to your personal Start screen, themes, language preferences, browsing history and browser favorites. You can also connect to services such as Microsoft Outlook, Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter and more
- Windows Store
- In the Windows Store, you can search for or browse thousands of apps. Choose from the featured apps or grab one of the most frequently downloaded apps to see what all the hype is all about. You can also see how other people rate apps. For certain apps, you can try it out before you buy it so you can make sure you absolutely want an app before you spend your hard-earned money on it