Sating a multimedia craving, the black Panasonic Lumix DCZS80 is a pocketable workhorse comprising a versatile array of video and stills capabilities. Featuring a 20.3MP 1/2.3" High-Sensitivity Live MOS sensor, the ZS80 realizes rich image quality with low noise and sensitivity to an extended ISO 6400 for working in difficult lighting conditions. The sensor and image processor also enable shooting continuously at up to 10 fps with single-shot AF, 30 fps at 8MP in 4K PHOTO modes, and UHD 4K video recording at 30p. Additionally, the 4K PHOTO modes allow you to produce stromotion images, which combine sequential exposures into a single frame for a dynamic finished look.
Complementing the sensor's capabilities is an equally impressive Leica DC Vario-Elmar 30x zoom lens, which covers a 24-720mm equivalent focal length range, as well as a 5-axis POWER Optical Image Stabilizer to minimize the appearance of camera shake for sharper handheld shooting. Also notable is the camera's compact size and incorporation of both a 2.33m-dot electronic viewfinder and 3.0" 1.04m-dot tilting touchscreen LCD. Additionally, built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth allow you to wirelessly share imagery or remotely control the camera from a linked smartphone or tablet.
Benefitting the long reach of the lens is a 5-axis POWER Optical Image Stabilizer that compensates for a variety of camera movements for sharper handheld shooting in difficult lighting conditions. This image stabilization system also enables a unique Level Shot function that automatically detects the horizontal line of the recording image and keeps it level during shooting, regardless of camera tilt, helping to achieve greater shooting stability.
Besides video, the 4K capabilities also permit recording 8MP stills at 30 fps in a trio of ways:
- 4K Burst: Just as with video recording, this mode will allow you to continuously record 8MP images at 30 fps for up to 15 minutes, making it ideal for instances where you need a fast frame rate in order to capture the best moment.
- 4K Pre-Burst: This mode is ideal for times when you're unsure of the critical moment to press the shutter button and will record 8MP images at 30 fps one second prior to and one second after pressing the shutter button in order to give you 60 frames to choose from.
- 4K Burst (S/S): This mode most closely follows the 4K video recording process, and allows you to playback your video, pause at the chosen moment, and use the shutter button to mark a chosen frame from the video and save it as a single 8MP frame.
This technology also allows for producing focus stacked images in-camera to realize a greater depth of field, especially when photographing close-up subjects. In this mode, images are recorded and saved with varying points of focus and then blended together to gain an extended depth of field.
- A Live View Finder (LVF) is integrated into the sleek body design to permit comfortable eye-level monitoring. This 0.21", 0.53x-magnification electronic viewfinder has a 2.33m-dot resolution and covers 100% of the image frame while shooting.
- Alternatively, a rear 3.0" 1.04m-dot touchscreen LCD monitor is also available for live view shooting, image review, and intuitive menu navigation. The screen's design incorporates a 180° tilting mechanism to benefit shooting from high and low angles, as well as for taking front-facing selfies.
- A host of manual controls offer simple, direct control over a variety of oft-used camera settings, including a control ring surrounding the lens that can be configured to adjust zoom, shutter speed, manual focus, and ISO sensitivity.
- A micro-USB port allows you to charge the battery in-camera.
- The included rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides you with 380 shots per charge when working with the rear LCD, 250 shots per charge with the electronic viewfinder, or 340 shots per charge when working with the electronic viewfinder in the eco 30-fps setting.
- Built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth allow you to wirelessly share photos and movies to linked smartphones and tablets for direct sharing online. This connectivity also allows you to remotely control the camera from a mobile device.
- Depth from Defocus (DFD) technology affords impressively fast and precise autofocus performance to suit photographing moving subjects.
- Focus peaking is available for easier, more accurate manual focusing control.
- Creative Control modes: Expressive, Retro, Old Days, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Monochrome, Dynamic Monochrome, Rough Monochrome, Silky Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Cross Process, Toy Effect, Toy Pop, Bleach Bypass, Miniature Effect, Soft Focus, Fantasy, Star Filter, One Point Color, and Sunshine.
- Still Image Scene Guide modes: Clear Portrait, Silky Skin, Backlit Softness, Clear in Backlight, Relaxing Tone, Sweet Child's Face, Distinct Scenery, Bright Blue Sky, Romantic Sunset Glow, Vivid Sunset Glow, Glistening Water, Clear Nightscape, Cool Night Sky, Warm Glowing Nightscape, Artistic Nightscape, Glittering Illuminations, Handheld Night Shot, Clear Night Portrait, Soft Image of a Flower, Appetizing Food, Cute Dessert, Freeze Animal Motion, Clear Sports Shot, and Monochrome.
- Photo Style modes: Standard, Vivid, Natural, Monochrome, Scenery, Portrait, and Custom.
- Picture Adjustment settings: Contrast, Sharpness, Noise Reduction, and Saturation.