Assembled for the aspiring filmmaker, the Sony Alpha a7 III Mirrorless Digital Camera with 24-70mm f/4 Lens Cine Kit from B&H bundles the versatile full-frame mirrorless body and standard zoom lens with an Atomos Ninja V 5" 4K HDMI recording monitor, a 500GB SSD drive, a power kit, a USB to SATA adapter, a monitor mount, and an HDMI cable.
Sony Alpha a7 III Mirrorless Digital Camera (Body Only)
Distinguished by its updated sensor design, the Alpha a7 III Mirrorless Digital Camera from Sony is a well-rounded camera suitable for both photo and video applications in a variety of working situations. Refined for improved speed and low-light performance, the full-frame 24.2MP Exmor R BSI CMOS sensor and BIONZ X image processor pair to realize an impressive 10 fps continuous shooting rate and improved autofocus performance for faster, more reliable subject tracking along with wide frame coverage. This updated Fast Hybrid AF System employs a combination of 693 phase-detection points and 425 contrast-detection areas for quicker acquirement of focus in a variety of lighting conditions, and also maintains focus on subjects more effectively. In addition to speed and AF, the processing improvements also help to realize greater image clarity and reduced noise throughout the sensitivity range from ISO 100-51200, which can further be expanded to ISO 50-204800. Video recording capabilities have also been extended for enhanced quality when recording UHD 4K video with the full width of the full-frame sensor to minimize moiré and aliasing. Additionally, benefitting both stills and video operation, the a7 III utilizes a 5-axis SteadyShot INSIDE sensor-shift image stabilization, which is now effective to minimize the appearance of camera shake by up to 5 stops.
Beyond just updates to the imaging system, the a7 III's body design has also been revised to include a rear 3.0" 922k-dot touchscreen LCD, which has a tilting design to better support working from high and low angles. A 2.36m-dot Tru-Finder OLED EVF is also featured for bright and clear eye-level monitoring. For greater shooting flexibility, dual SD memory card slots are now featured, and a larger NP-FZ100 battery is also employed to achieve up to approximately 710 shots per charge. Suiting the camera's use in trying conditions, the magnesium-alloy chassis and weather-sealing also render the a7 III dust- and moisture-resistant.
24.2MP Exmor R BSI CMOS Sensor and BIONZ X Image Processor
The sensor and processor combination also avails fast continuous shooting at up to 10 fps at full resolution, for up to 177 consecutive frames, and with full-time AF/AE when working with either a mechanical shutter or an electronic shutter. If shooting in live view mode, a continuous shooting rate of up to 8 fps is also possible.
Fast Hybrid AF System
The apt focus system also lends itself to a variety of focusing functions for refined accuracy, including Lock-on AF, which maintains focus on moving subjects throughout the use of a configurable frame that is set over the desired moving subject, and Expand Flexible Spot, which employs neighboring focus points to retain focus on moving subjects even if the originally selected point loses focus. Additionally, Eye AF can be used to base focus on recognized subjects' eyes for portraits and is available in both AF-S and AF-C modes. Autofocus can also be used in conjunction with the Focus Magnifier function for critical focus when homing in on minute subject details. The rear touchscreen can also be used for Touch Focus control, and a Touchpad Focus Control mode lets you use the rear screen intuitively while keeping your eye to the viewfinder.
5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Image Stabilization
For long focal lengths, the system will correct for pitch and yaw adjustments. Macro and high-magnification imagery, on the other hand, will benefit from the inclusion of horizontal and vertical shift compensation. All shooting styles will get usage out of the roll compensation. All 5 axes of stabilization will function at all times, even when used with third-party lenses and adapters or lenses with built-in optical stabilization.
UHD 4K Video Recording in XAVC S Format
Affording extensive customizable color and gamma controls, the a7 III allows users to adjust the gamma, black level, knee, color level, and more. Also, users can use the same S-Log2 Gamma Curve that is found on high end Sony Cinema cameras that squeezes up to 1300% more dynamic range into the video signal then traditional REC709, for increased post-production flexibility. HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) support is also available, along with the BT.2020 color space, for recording within a wide color gamut and, in addition to S-Log2, S-Log3 is also available for producing an effective 14-stop dynamic range with increased grading control in the shadow to mid-tone regions of the image.
Body Design and Built-In Wi-Fi/Bluetooth
- An XGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF is featured, and has a 2.36m-dot resolution and 0.78x magnification for bright, clear viewing in high detail. This viewfinder design also affords the use of autofocus in the Focus Magnifier mode as well as improved focusing peaking to benefit manual focus operation.
- In addition to the EVF, a 3.0" 922k-dot rear LCD is also available, which has a touch panel design for intuitive operation and focusing control. The screen also tilts upward 107° and downward 41° to benefit working from high and low angles.
- Magnesium-alloy chassis assures rigidity, durability, and stability while remaining lightweight. The lens mount has also been improved to better support heavy lenses and the grip rigidity has been improved for more comfortable hand-holding.
- Weather-sealing has been employed to resist dust and moisture for reliable operation in harsh weather conditions.
- Using the NP-FZ100 battery, the a7 III has improved battery life and is now rated for approximately 710 shots per charge.
- Dual SD memory card slots allow for flexible file saving and handling, and can be configured to partition raw and JPEG files or can be used for overflow recording. One of the card slots is rated to support UHS-II memory cards.
- A USB 3.0 Type-C port has been added, in addition to a micro-USB port, for faster, more reliable tethering support. The USB Type-C connection allows the camera to be charged from the host power source while connected.
- Built-in Wi-Fi enables the a7 III to instantly share imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online to social networking, via email, and to cloud storage sites. NFC (Near Field Communication) is also supported, which allows for one-touch connection between the camera and compatible mobile devices; no complex set-up is required. Once connected, the linked mobile device can also display a live view image on its screen and remotely control the camera's shutter.
- Bluetooth connectivity allows for location data acquisition.
Other Camera Features
- A Ratings function lets you assign star values, from 1-5, to images in-camera for faster editing and sorting at home during post-production.
- An advanced 1200-zone evaluative exposure metering sensor delivers consistent and accurate results using multi-segment, center-weighted, or spot metering modes.
- Highlight and Average metering modes helps avoid blown-out highlights and provide stable auto-exposure, respectively.
- Anti-flicker shooting automatically recognizes and times the shutter action to minimize the flicker effect for more consistent results on still images.
- Picture Effect modes: Posterization (Color), Posterization (B/W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (R/G/B/Y), High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera (Normal/Cool/Warm/Green/Magenta), and Soft High-Key.
- Creative Style modes: Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn leaves, Black & White, Sepia, Style Box (1-6), (Contrast (-3 to +3 steps), Saturation (-3 to +3 steps), Sharpness (-3 to +3 steps).
Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm f/4 ZA OSS Lens
Walk around all day with the Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm f/4 ZA OSS Lens from Sony, a compact full-frame option that covers wide-angle to short telephoto perspectives for working with a variety of different shooting styles and subjects. A constant f/4 aperture makes operation smooth and consistent throughout the zoom range. The lens further benefits from the use of one extra-low dispersion element and five aspherical elements to combat aberrations as well as a Zeiss T* anti-reflective coating to keep flare and ghosting to an absolute minimum. The lens is fast to focus as well due to the linear autofocus motor and an internal focus design. Additionally, the dust- and moisture-resistant lens is equipped with Optical SteadyShot image stabilization to reduce the effects of camera shake, and it has a seven-blade circular diaphragm for smooth bokeh.
Atomos Ninja V 5" 4K HDMI Recording Monitor
The Atomos Ninja V 5" 4K HDMI Recording Monitor is a 5" on-camera monitor/recorder that records and plays back DCI 4K, UHD 4K, and HD video from purpose-built mini-SSDs. It features a 10-bit FRC IPS screen with a brightness of 1000 cd/m², which makes it suitable for use in both exterior and interior conditions. The AtomHDR display technology allows you to accurately monitor your log gamma footage without having to view flat, washed-out looking images or use a LUT to compress the dynamic range and color space. The monitor supports popular log formats from Sony, Canon, Panasonic, ARRI, RED, and JVC cameras. The settings only affect viewing, with recorded video remaining unaltered.
Built to withstand the rigors of production, the Ninja V features an aluminum chassis and powers from a single L-series battery. Additional features include a variety of onscreen exposure analysis, framing, and focus assist tools, as well as anamorphic de-squeeze. An SSD Caddy, power supply, and dummy battery are included with the unit.
Designed with an interface that differs somewhat from prior units, the Ninja V's HDR functions are accessed through the MON buttons and its ProRes options are chosen via the arrows on the unit's upper left corner. The Ninja V can record to both AtomX SSDmini or standard 2.5" SSD drives, fitting up to 150 minutes of 4K video on a 1TB drive. Separately available AtomX Ethernet/NDI and SYNC Expansion Modules enable you to output live video over IP or add wireless timecode for multicamera shoots respectively.
Supported Log Formats
- ARRI Log C
- Canon CLog / CLog 2
- Fuji F-Log
- JVC JLog
- Sony SLog2 / SLog3
- Panasonic Vlog
- RED LogFilm
- ARRI Log CEI160 / LogCEI200 / LogCEI250 / LogCEI320/ LogCEI400 / LogCEI500 / LogCEI640 / LogCEI800 / LogCEI1000 / LogCEI1280 / LogCEI1600
- Canon CLog / CLog2 / Clog3
- Fuji F-Log
- JVC JLog1
- Panasonic Vlog
- PQ10k, HLG
- RED LogFilm / Log3G10 / Log3G12
- Sony SLog / SLog2 / SLog3
- ARRI ALEXA Wide Gamut
- Canon Cinema / DCI P3 / DCI P3+ / BT2020
- Fuji F-Log
- JVC LS300
- Panasonic V Gamut
- Rec. 2100
- Rec. 709
- RED DragonColor / DragonColor2 / RedColor2 / RedColor3 / RedColor4 / RedWideGamut
- Sony SGamut / SGamut3 / SGamut3.cine / BT2020
- Wide Color Gamut (SGamut / SGamut3 / SGamut3.cine / Canon Cinema / BT2020 / DCI P3 / DCI P3+ / Panasonic V Gamut / ARRI ALEXA Wide Gamut) mapping to Rec. 709 on screen
- Wide Color Gamut (SGamut / SGamut3 / SGamut3.cine / Canon Cinema / BT2020 / DCI P3 / DCI P3+ / Panasonic V Gamut / ARRI ALEXA Wide Gamut) mapping to Rec. 709 / BT2020 / DCI P3 on loop out
4K 60p Capabilities
5" Daylight Viewable Screen
HDR Signal Management
Optional Expansion Modules
Elvid Heavy Duty Camera Shoe Mount Adapter with Ball Head for Monitors
Add a monitor to your video recording system with this aluminum Heavy Duty Camera Shoe Mount Adapter with Ball Head from Elvid. This convenient accessory mounts directly to a camera's shoe mount, and allows for the attachment of a full array of video accessories. Specifically meant to attach monitors or small lights to your camcorder or camera while shooting video, this ball head has a single locking knob for fast and safe operation, and is easily removable.
Accessories attach via the 1/4"-20 screw thread on top, and the bottom features a removable shoe mount and a 3/8" thread. The shoe mount itself is removable and features its own 3/8"-16 mounting screw, in case you want to use it without the ball head.
Atomos Power Kit 2 for Ninja V, Flame, and Inferno Series
The Atomos Power Kit 2 includes two NP-F750 5200mAh batteries, a charger, and a power adapter with locking connector for Atomos recorder/monitors such as the Shogun Inferno and Flame. The kit enables fast charging of one battery at a time, and built-in indicator lights display charge status.
Sony AtomX SSDmini (500GB)
This 500GB Sony AtomX SSDmini is designed specifically for the Atomos Ninja V recorder, but it works with most Atomos recorders (some recorders require an optional adapter). It supports sequential write speeds up to 500 MB/s and sequential read speeds up to 550 MB/s. The high write speed enables it to capture high-quality 4K footage in any of Atomos' codecs without dropping frames. and the read speed makes for fast offloading of material and smooth playback with no dropped frames.
The housing of the SSDmini is 20% shorter than conventional SSDs as per the Atomos design, allowing it to work seamlessly with Ninja V recording monitors. The solid-state design of this SSD can provide up to 1500 G/0.5 ms of shock resistance.
Pearstone USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A to 2.5" SATA III Adapter Cable (19")
Connect an internal 2.5" SATA hard drive to your system's USB Type-A port using the 19" USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A to 2.5" SATA III Adapter Cable from Pearstone. This cable allows you to use an internal hard drive externally, without the need for a drive enclosure. On one end, there is a 5 Gb/s USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A interface, while the other end has a SATA interface that supports SATA III 6 Gb/s, SATA II 3 Gb/s, and SATA I 1.5 Gb/s drives. All power is provided over the USB bus, meaning that no external power cables or adapters are required for use. Also featured is UASP and TRIM support. UASP, or USB Attached SCSI Protocol, is a computer protocol used to move data to and from USB storage devices such as hard drives, solid-state drives, and thumb drives. TRIM allows an operating system to inform a solid-state drive (SSD) which blocks of data are no longer considered in use and can be wiped internally.
Please note that this cable with only work with 2.5" SATA drives. It will not work with 3.5" SATA drives.