By B&H Photo's
Advanced APS-C All-Rounder
Covering both wide landscapes and tight portraits, the Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm f/4 ZA OSS Lens from Sony is a great all-around choice for APS-C-format E-mount cameras. It offers a very versatile 24-105mm equivalent zoom range, features a constant f/4 aperture for consistent performance, and mixes advanced optics with fast focusing and robust OSS for an ideal single-lens solution for most general shooting situations.
ZEISS Optical Design
- Based on the ZEISS Tessar optical concept, this lens uses a design with 16 elements in 12 groups that helps ensure a smaller overall lens size along with reduced flaring, distortion, and chromatic aberrations.
- A constant f/4 maximum aperture offers consistent performance throughout the zoom range and also lends greater control over focus position for shallow depth of field techniques.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality when employing selective focus techniques.
- One extra-low dispersion glass element is featured in the lens design to help reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing for improved clarity and color neutrality.
- Four aspherical elements, including one Advanced Aspherical (AA), are incorporated in the lens design to reduce astigmatism, field curvature, coma, and other monochromatic aberrations.
- ZEISS T* anti-reflective coatings have been applied to each lens surface to help minimize reflections in order to provide greater image clarity, contrast, and color fidelity.
Image Stabilization and Autofocus
- Optical SteadyShot image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake for sharper imagery when shooting handheld with slower shutter speeds. This stabilization system can also be combined with select camera's sensor-shift type image stabilization for more effective control of camera blur.
- A linear autofocus motor and internal focus design provide quick and precise autofocus performance and enables accurate and silent focusing while recording videos.
- Minimum focusing distance of 1.1' and a 0.23x maximum magnification suit working with close-up subjects.