Sporting the extremely large light bucket users have come to expect from a Dob, the Explore Scientific 16" f/4.5 Truss Tube Dobsonian Telescope gives users exceptional performance with a low dollar-to-aperture cost. Its over-sized parabolic primary mirror is highly reflective and corrects spherical aberration to eliminate distortion across the entire field of view, especially at the edges.
The large 16" aperture draws in a tremendous amount of light to reveal awe-inspiring details of the Moon and planets. Deep sky objects will be visible even for inexperienced observers, and bright star clusters can be resolved to their core. Its f/4.5 focal ratio and 10:1 dual-speed helical focuser make this an ideal choice for imaging. The fast focal ratio enables devices to capture images in less time than slower scopes, while the unique focusing mechanism employed in the helical design gives it the ability to achieve tack-sharp focusing with zero backlash that rack-and-pinion focusers are generally unable to. This 2" focuser will accept larger eyepieces so users can enjoy a truly immersive visual experience and will ensure larger imaging sensors are completely covered.
The rocker box weighs in at 22 pounds and provides a rock-steady observational platform with very low vibration. This rocker mount features high-altitude bearings with aluminum structures that allow for fine adjustment flows at high magnifications, and dual radial primary mirror fans to quickly adjust the temperature to reduce distortion. Finally, the tension control handle allows users to adjust the settings, enabling them to move the mount easily and smoothly by hand with minimal vibration and maintain its position when released.
- 16" aperture
- f/4.5 focal ratio
- 1826mm focal length
- Highly reflective mirrors increase image brightness
- 72mm secondary mirror, 25% obstruction
- Dual radial primary mirror fans adjust the mirror temperature to reduce distortion
- Runs on eight user-supplied AA batteries
- Includes collimation assist tool for adjustments in the field
- Manual rocker mount design
- High altitude bearings for a wide adjustment and travel range
- Tension control handle allows for smoother rotation to reduce vibrations and limit over-compensation
- 10:1 dual-speed helical
- Accepts 2" eyepieces and accessories
- Helical focusers use a toothless design that allows for smooth and precise focusing without backlash