The Enhanced Mid Frequency Pultec Equalizer from Manley Labs is a modern version of the classic single-channel, mid-band EQ from Pulse Technique. The Mid EQ's controls are designed to compliment Manley's EQP1A enhanced EQ by using sharper bell-shaped curves, which provide precise control over the mid-range frequencies that producer-engineers find so vital. The Mid EQ is divided up into three fixed bandwidth sections: Low frequency peak, high frequency dip, and high frequency peak. Utilizing the EQ's cut and boost controls on overlapping frequencies can result in unique shapes for custom tailoring your sound.
Professional-grade components are used throughout and include conductive plastic potentiometers, sealed gold-contact switches, polystyrene capacitors, rolled film capacitors, foil capacitors, custom-wound transformers, and a B+ power supply with regulated and balanced heater supply. The all-tube make-up gain block is used to amplify the passive inductor-based circuit providing high output and low distortion.
Enhanced features not found in the original Pultec design include transformerless inputs and outputs, a gain set preset for adjusting the feedback over the line amplifier, and a 3-way toggle switch on the rear of the unit providing phase reversal. The up position retains 0°, while the down position switches the balanced transformer wiring 180° out of phase. The center position switches off the transformer, optimizing the unbalanced 1/4" input to an impedance of 5000Ω. Handmade in the USA, the unit is housed in a 1U steel chassis with a CNC-machined 1/4" faceplate that is also inlaid with laser-engraved inserts. The Mid EQ ships with an IEC power cable.
- Low-Mid Frequency Peak: 200, 300, 500, 700, 1000 Hz
- High-Mid Frequency Dip: 200, 300, 500, 700, 1000, 1500, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, 7000 Hz
- High-Mid Frequency Peak: 1500, 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 Hz
- Sharp bell-shaped curves for precise control over mid-range frequencies
- Manley input and output transformers
- Phase reverse for balanced XLR input
- 1/4" transformerless input and output
- Bypass Switch
- Auto-mute with warm-up delay
- Silent conductive plastic boost and cut controls
- Sealed gold-contact Greyhill frequency select switches
- Vacuum Tubes: 1 x 12AX7WA (gain) and 1 x 6414 (or 5965) White Follower