The Solid State Logic XL-Desk with Empty 500 Series Slots is a modern twist on the classic analog studio console. It's designed for tracking or mixing engineers who require an analog console within a DAW-centric studio, but don't want or need the integrated DAW control and analog level automation other SSL console products have.
XL-Desk is in many ways a traditional 24 into 8 analog console, but it packs in a wide selection of features. It has 20 channel strips: 16 dual input mono (switchable between main input or DAW return) and 4 stereo channels. The first eight channels have VHD mic pre's. There is an 18-slot 500-series rack built in that can be used for processing or mic pre's. 16 of the slots are empty in this version of the console. XL-Desk ships with a legendary SSL Stereo Bus Compressor module in slots 17 & 18 (hard-wired to Mix A). The rack has its own dedicated power supply.
There are four main Mix Busses (A, B, C, D) with Busses B, C and D able to be summed into Mix A. The Busses and channels can access the 500 racks, and each has a separate insert point for processing. There are two mono aux sends and two stereo return inputs. Direct outputs on every channel, stereo return and mix bus enable convenient stem printing. Each channel has a Cue Stereo Bus section (with Pan and Level) used to provide one of the headphone mixes while tracking. At mixdown, the mono channel DAW return signals can be routed to the CUE ST bus and then summed into Mix A. As a result, there are 16 main faders, 16 Cue ST inputs, and 4 Stereo channels, providing 40 summing inputs (using the stereo returns and insert sum functions you can squeeze in over 50 summing inputs).
There is also a fully-featured monitoring section with bass management (3 sets of speakers + subwoofer), foldback A and B with individual talk-backs for headphone mixes, and a built-in Listen Mic input + classic compressor circuit, with its own direct output.
- 20 + 1 fader, over 40 input SuperAnalogue SSL console
- 8 built-in Variable Harmonic Drive (VHD) preamps
- 16 dual-input mono channels (switchable between main input or DAW return)
- 4 stereo channels (switchable to mono for tracking)
- The legendary Stereo Bus Compressor, with new high-pass filter sidechain
- 18-slot 500 format rack built-in, accessible from channels or mix busses
- In addition to a 500 rack insert, each mono channel has a standard insert point
- 4 stereo Mix Busses with their own insert points and access to the 500 rack
- One stereo and 2 mono aux sends. Two dedicated stereo return inputs
- Direct outputs on every channel, stereo return, and mix bus for stem printing
- Fully-featured monitoring section with bass management
- Foldback A and B with individual talkbacks for headphone mixes
- Built-in Listen Mic input + classic compressor circuit, with its own direct output
- AFL and Solo-In-Place solo modes, with Solo Clear and Solo Safe (Protect) modes
- Balanced D-Sub rear panel inputs/outputs & Front panel headphones & iJack sockets
- High quality internal PSU