The Twin Pak - EL-9 Mike-e from Empirical Labs combines two EL-9 Mike-e transformer-coupled mic preamps with compressor/saturator circuits to deliver stereo classic knee compression, as well as versatile tonal coloring. Each Mike-e provides a low noise transformer input amplifier section offers precise digital control over gain and has a signal-to-noise ratio of 130 dB. It features stepped control knobs for gain control and a "BAD!" LED indicator for alerting the user when input signal is overloading the circuit.
The front panel instrument input that allows the unit to function as an ultra-clean Direct Box. The saturator is a multi-stage soft-clipping circuit that provides triode-type saturation effects, while severely flattening out the peaks. The compressor circuit is based on the Distressor, but with a longer attack time. Preset ratios include 2:1, 4:1, 8:1, and Nuke. Emphasis improves the signal to noise ratio, while soft-clipping high frequencies before the CompSat circuit and cutting the frequencies after it.
Mix provides a parallel compression technique achieved by mixing between the compressed and the dry, uncompressed signal. This can often help maintain transients and a sense of dynamic range while enhancing the low level nuances. A stereo link connector allows two Mike-e processors to be used for stereo buss functions, while the optional send/return insert modification allows for additional processors, such as the Lil Freq EQ, to be connected between the mic preamp and compressor, forming a powerful and flexible channel strip. The Twin Pak ships with a 1/4" to 1/4" cable for stereo operation and a standard IEC power cord.
- Versatile and simple microphone pre-amplifier with a deep feature set
- Pre-amplifier section offers a transformer input. Low signal-to-noise exceeds 130 dB, well below the self-noise of any microphone
- Super long life gain switching with 5 dB increments in preamp section and output pot for fine resolution gain setting. Sealed relays used throughout
- CompSat section soft saturates the peaks of waveforms to warm things up and offers a world-class compressor with detented parameter selections
- Germanium circuitry in the CompSat section to offer new warming characteristics
- Two CompSat LED indicators, one “WARM” and one “TOASTY” LED, indicating internal saturation circuitry
- Emphasis function tames high frequency build-up, while offering frequency dependent saturation, which enhances Mike-E’s popular tape-like tone
- High performance high-pass filter at 80 Hz, 18 dB per octave
- Built in Instrument preamp/direct box with auto sensing passes the signal through the input transformer for some “IRON” in its sound
- Renowned Empirical Labs digitally controlled analog topology
- Huge "DISTRESSOR" knobs with high resolution numbering for easy readability and repeatable settings
- A “BAD!” hard clip LED indicates the signal is within .5 dB of hard clipping. It monitors many sections of the Preamp for internal clipping
- Locked and calibrated output level allows speed in setting record and live mix levels
- Extremely useful as a mixdown processor, too. Great for fitting the mixes together.
- Discrete and integrated combination offering the best of speed/linearity with repeatability. Hand tested & selected components. All metal film and Roederstein resistors in the audio path
- Top quality components, most being high temperature military spec parts
- Upgradeable transformer output option
- Switchable 115/230 volt operation - Extra fuse provided inside unit
- XLR and 1/4" phone ins and outs - XLR fully balanced design, pin-2 hot
- No internal connectors, high reliability parts and military grade switches and relays. All contacts doubled up for maximum reliability
- Linkable Compressor section
- Hand wired and calibrated in USA