Access, view and analyze the pure raw data as recorded by your DSLR and certain video cameras with RawDigger's Exposure Edition from LibRaw LLC. RawDigger is not a raw converter; it is a microscope of sorts that lets you drill down into your image files and visualize the data that will be used by raw converters. With this software, the isolation layer normally imposed by raw converters becomes transparent.
The Exposure edition is intended for everyday use, to help practitioners who are serious about extracting the maximum quality from their camera by delivering precise exposures. RawDigger allows you to display and research data from the real raw histogram, which greatly differs from the in-camera histogram, as well as histograms presented by most raw converters.
To facilitate accurate raw image study, the histogram for either the entire file or an isolated image segment can be viewed in all modes (RGB, raw composite, and raw per channel). It can also be exported for further study as a spreadsheet (CSV) or a graphic file (PNG) for presentation.
RawDigger can help you determine the calibration of an in-camera exposure meter and quantify different vignetting sources. It also helps you to use spot-metering, exposure compensation, and manual exposure settings more efficiently and reliably.
The software allows you to monitor and improve studio lighting setups in terms of white balance/light uniformity, and dynamic range. Additionally, indicators for over- and underexposed image areas show you exactly where and in which color channel(s) details are blown out or have noisy shadows, with statistics to indicate the percentage of over- or underexposed pixels.
RawDigger supports all raw formats (including DNG) associated with a list of more than 800 supported cameras, and frequent updates are made to support new DSLR and cell phone models. The software can read files from any media, from a flash card to a network server. It works on a variety 32/64-bit Windows, Intel-based Mac platforms and Linux Wine-1.2.3; Wine (1.3.37-0ubuntu1~ppa1~lucid1) and Debian testing.
This version of RawDigger is delivered as a download, and the license key can be installed on up to two computers simultaneously.
- Determine how the camera's exposure meter is calibrated
- Identify the camera's dynamic range
- Establish the raw level corresponding to the midpoint of in-camera histogram
- Check which camera settings affect raw data
- Analyze ISO settings to determine ideal tolerances
- Evaluate the accuracy, repeatability, and uniformity of a range of shutter speeds
- Determine the actual T-stop of a lens
- Compare noise between two cameras of the same make and model
- Tune a new camera to apply customary exposure metering and setting techniques
- Determine the idiosyncrasies of both camera and raw converter by comparing raw data to results obtained through raw conversion
- Compare raw histogram to in-camera histogram and account for differences, so to expose files as much to the right as possible (ETTR)
- Display histograms in different modes: RGB render, composite raw and per-channel raw (R, G, and B or R, G1, B, G2 - for Bayer-type sensors) views
- Display histogram of entire image or a rectangular selection of image portions
- Export histograms for further study as a spreadsheet (CSV), or as a PNG for presentation
- Identify proper light filtration for cleanest possible image shadows
- Check neutrality of polarizing/neutral density filters and identify proper color correction/compensation filters for various light sources
- Establish headroom in highlights to obtain optimal exposures
- Investigate exposure conditions and camera settings that cause unacceptable noise levels in shadows
- Estimate the level of noise introduced by the raw converter, compared to natural noise from the camera sensor
- Examine relative per-channel underexposure based on the color of light (correlated color temperature, CCT, and tint, or neutralizing white balance coefficients)
- Determine degree of underexposure in shadows and set software's Underexposure (UE) indicator to suit your needs