With Ultra HD 4K resolution video at 30 fps, 3-axis video stabilization, voice control, GPS capture, 12MP photos with up to 60 fps burst frames, high-sensitivity mic, color touchscreen, live streaming to YouTube, 130' waterproof case, and easy-to-use one-touch operation, the VIRB Ultra 30 from Garmin is a cutting-edge action camera suitable for up to the most professional applications, and it's sleek and stylish to boot. Other video recording resolutions include 1080p at up to 120 fps and 720p at up to 240 fps.
Attach it to one of the many available support accessories, and command it what to do hands-free, such as "start recording" or "take a picture," or "remember that" to tag footage for later recall, and capture all your adventures. You can set your videos to automatically get stabilized in-camera using built-in electronic gyroscope stabilization, so that you don't have to apply stabilization in post-production to get smoother footage. And the built-in sensitive mic ensures that sound is recorded clear and not muffled -- and this is so whether the camera is in or out of the waterproof case. (Stabilization is applicable in Full HD 1080p60 resolution only.)
When you're setting up the camera, assigning desired frames rates and other factors, you'll find the touchscreen LCD very effective. For one thing, it works through the waterproof case, and second, it offers selections in large enough buttons that you'll find it very efficient to use.
When you're up there on that mountain, and want to document the height you reached, or how far you went, or how fast, just hit the GPS feature and the camera will take note of everything, of all the relevant performance data, which you can later use as proof. You can even overlay graphs and gauges over this data. Pair the VIRB Ultra 30 with the appropriate Garmin heart-rate monitor and you can even document your heart rate up on that mountain.
You also get a free VIRB Mobile App for iOS and Android that will let you control the camera remotely, set up shots, control multiple cameras, edit footage, and share your recordings in various ways, including live streaming to YouTube.
Included with the camera is a waterproof case, flat and curved adhesive mounts for attaching the camera to pretty much anything, standard 3-prong mount, and other accessories. Using the included battery, the camera runs for up to 75 minutes when recording 4K at 30 fps, and up to 135 minutes when recording 1080p30. It records everything to up to 128GB microSD cards.
- 12MP 1/2.3" backside-illuminated CMOS sensor
- Capture up to UHD 4K at 30 fps, 2.7K at 60 fps, Full HD 1080p at 120 fps, 720p at 240 fps, and 480p at 300 fps
- 3-axis video stabilization using built-in electronic gyroscope
- High-sensitivity mic
- Voice control
- 6-element, all-glass, wide-angle lens with low distortion
- 12MP photos with up to 60 fps burst frames
- 130' waterproof housing
- Color touchscreen 1.75" LCD -- works through waterproof housing
- GPS capture
- Live streaming to YouTube from free iOS/Android app
- Supports up to 128GB microSD cards
- Time-lapse recording
- Lens Correction: Eliminate the slight image curvature in the wide angle setting (not for 4K)
- Light Boost: Automatically adjusts the recorded frames per second to the best level given lighting conditions
- Looping: Record video continuously while only saving the final specified duration (for Video and Expansive modes)
- Auto Pause: Record video only when moving
- Orientation: Automatically adjust recorded video to be right-side up regardless of camera orientation
- Gain Control AGC
- Internal Microphone Mono: Waterproof, rugged, exposed for sensitive audio capture
- External Microphone Stereo: 3.5mm connection (when using compatible cable, sold separately)
- White Balance: Adjust the color of the environment and scene
- Sharpness: Adjust the level of detail sharpness applied in-camera
- High Bit Rate: Adjust compression levels to reduce file size or increase picture quality; bit rate up to 60 Mb/s
- ISO Limit: Adjust maximum image brightness and image noise (grain) levels