Adept in both stills and video arenas, the EOS M5 from Canon is a versatile mirrorless camera featuring a 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC 7 image processor. Combined, these technologies afford a wide sensitivity range, from ISO 100-25600, along with quick performance for up to 9 fps continuous shooting and Full HD 1080p/60 video recording. The sensor's design also provides Dual Pixel CMOS AF, which offers quick and accurate phase-detection autofocus for multimedia use. This focusing system is particularly well-suited to subject tracking, and pairs with Digital IS 5-axis image stabilization for steadier, shake-free video recording.
Complementing the imaging capabilities, the camera's design is equally versatile due to the inclusion of both a 2.36m-dot electronic viewfinder along with a large 3.2" 1.62m-dot LCD tilting touchscreen. The touchscreen design enables Touch and Drag AF for intuitive focusing point control, and an array of additional physical dials and control buttons provide an efficient means for settings changes. Additionally, the camera sports built-in Wi-Fi with NFC for quick and convenient pairing with a smartphone or tablet for wireless image sharing, and Bluetooth is also featured for image sharing to and remote camera control from a mobile device.
Included with the camera body is the EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM lens; a wide-to-tele zoom providing a 28.8-240mm equivalent focal length range. Pairing well with the camera, this lens employs an STM motor for quick, smooth, and near-silent autofocus performance that benefits both stills as well as video applications. Its Image Stabilizer works in conjunction with the camera's Digital IS for more effective performance, and stabilized panning is also supported to suit working with fast-moving subjects.
- A high-resolution 2.36m-dot electronic viewfinder affords a bright, clear means for natural eye-level viewing to suit working in bright conditions.
- Large 3.2" 1.62m-dot touchscreen LCD provides an intuitive method for controlling focusing points, navigating menus, and reviewing imagery. This screen also features a tilting design (85° up, 180° down) to better enable working from high and low angles.
- Touch and Drag AF lets you manually move the AF frame while shooting for more precise control.
- Physical controls allow for intuitive settings adjustments, and include a front dial, quick control dial, dial function button, and exposure compensation dial. Each of these can be customized to adjust specific functions for more personalized control.
- Built-in Wi-Fi with NFC allows for easy wireless sharing of both photos and movies to a linked mobile device.
- Bluetooth permits linking a smartphone or tablet for quick image sharing between devices as well as remote control capabilities.