If you've ever wanted to generate the harmonic feedback that comes from holding your guitar to an amp cranked to eleven—but at lower volumes and with greater control—then the FreqOut from DigiTech might just be the pedal for you. This is a natural feedback generator in a stompbox enclosure which gives you control over the harmonics you'd like to hear when the feedback starts, the level of the feedback, the amount of time it takes for the feedback to hit you at full force, and even its duration. You can, for instance, set the pedal to kill all feedback whenever you take your foot off the footswitch. In this manner, you can effectively control many aspects of a characteristically unpredictable and organic stage process.
This pedal is useful in live scenarios, in the studio, and in practice situations, where you may not be able to get as loud as you'd like. The FreqOut can even work with a clean, non-distorted signal. In addition to its intended effect, the pedal can also facilitate creative experimentation on stage. It utilizes a true-bypass footswitch and a steel chassis to promote durability. It requires a separately available 9 VDC power adapter to run.
Knobs & Switches at a Glance
- Gain knob (center): This controls the amount of feedback signal that is mixed in with the dry guitar signal
- Onset knob (ring): This knob, located at the base of the knob-stack, sets the time it takes for the feedback to grow to full strength
- Type knob: With this knob, you can select from one of seven feedback harmonic types
- Dry switch: Flick this switch to choose whether or not to keep your dry signal path on when the feedback effect is initiated.
- Momentary switch: This switch sets the operation of the footswitch; when set to the “ON” position, the feedback effect will only be enabled as long as the footswitch is held down, so you can control when the feedback sound ends
- Feedback LEDs: These LEDs will give you a graphical readout of how loud your feedback is getting
Features at a Glance
- Natural feedback at any level with or without distortion
- Onset delay and level balance controls
- 7 harmonic feedback types
- Dry defeat
- Momentary/latching modes
- True bypass