The 24-channel Series 78 from Trident Audio is a cost-effective, professional, split/inline mixing console tailored for engineers, studios owners, educational facilities, houses of worship, and live sound applications. The split/inline design features individual channels in four-way panels. The eight-subgroup configuration incorporates six Aux sends resulting in vast routing options that are simple to use. All connections utilize easy-to-use DB25 connections with speaker and main outputs on XLR pairs.
The console's 80B EQ provides a polished, professional, and recognizable sound found on thousands of recordings. With the selectable channel inserts and discrete preamps driving the inputs, the Series 78 offers a wide array of summing and mixing options with an uncompromising sonic quality and compact footprint. Features found throughout the 78 make for a straightforward and powerful package, but paramount to all else is the sound. Among the many styles, preferences, and methods of recording exists the expectation that a board must have the ability to be pushed hard and sound big. This is a hallmark of the series 80 consoles, and the 78 carries that tradition forward.
The input module is designed to accept both mic level and line level signals. It provides the user with a fully discrete, Class A microphone preamp with up to 60 dB of gain. The 4-band Trident EQ offers fixed high/low shelving and variable mids. Monitor inputs on every channel with the ability to swap the full EQ from the input path to the monitor path. Six Aux sends are provided, four mono and one stereo, each can be switched pre-or post of the channel fader. Aux 5/6 can also be selected between the channel and monitor path, greatly adding to the flexibility of the module.
The 8 group modules provided on the console are divided into two sets of four groups in separate panels, with each group strip controlling the associated group mix bus outputs. The groups can be used as audio subgroups for combining and processing a collection of input channels. Each group bus has its own balanced insert send/return and outputs that feed the associated DB25 connector on the rear master connector panel.
The master section contains the controls that affect the overall functionality of the console and include matched 100mm stereo faders to control the master stereo balanced output. A talkback system utilizes an internal high-quality electret microphone with an option to switch to an external microphone that's connected to the rear of the console via DB25 connector. The talkback signal can be routed to the auxiliary buses and the 8 subgroups. When the 'TALK TO GROUPS' button is used, the monitor signal is dimmed to avoid feedback in the control room monitor speakers. The monitor control system provides provisions for three stereo playback devices, as well as an 1/8" TRS mini-jack to plug in portable audio devices. Additionally, the monitor section offers a Sum Mono control, which combines the left/right signals to check mono compatibility. Other master section features include a set of alternate monitor selections with dedicated level controls, a high-quality headphone amplifier with separate level control, and a stereo master level control for the After-Fader Listen (AFL) and Pre-Fader Listen functions, which become active when soloing tracks.
The Series 78 ships with a 2 RU rackmount power supply, which outputs DC power direct to the console for clean, quiet operation.
Input Section Highlights
- Mic and Line Gain Control: Mic or line levels on each channel
- I/P Reverse Switch: Flips channel input to the monitor section
- Meter Select Switch: Allows you to choose metering from the direct out or monitor return
- Mic Pre: A fully discrete Class-A design mic pre. In addition, the preamp has a full bypass post-fader insert point that allows you to easily incorporate any external preamp from your collection or 500 series rack
- EQ: Incorporates the classic four-band equalizer, identical to that employed in the Trident Series 80B console. It consists of frequency switchable high- and low-pass shelving sections, coupled with two swept low- and high-mid-range bands and a switchable 50 Hz, 12 dB per octave filter. Furthermore, the EQ has its own independent insert. Either bypass the EQ or use any other outboard EQ or device in conjunction with it
Master & Aux Section Highlights
- Master Section: The master section features six Aux masters each with solo and mute buttons. In addition to the main speaker outputs there is a separate Alt Monitor, and both have level control, dim, and on/off switches. The Monitor section allows the return of two separate stereo signals direct into the master section with level and mute. Plug your portable device directly into the panel with the top mounted 1/8" TRS input. Through talkback control, you can talk back to the Auxes or the groups, using either the on-board talkback mic or an external mic
- Monitor Section: The Trident 78 is a split in-line console. This means you can switch the inputs on each channel which provides an easy workflow when tracking and mixing
- Aux Section: The Trident 78 features six Aux sends with pre- or post-fade selection, accessible on every channel. Stereo Aux 5/6 can also be sent to the monitor section
- The 78 by design is manufactured to be a more cost-effective variant of the fully modular 88 console. Incorporating a similar chassis design and the same meter bridge but using a semi-modular design, the 78 is able to effectively reduce its overall costs without a significant sacrifice to serviceability
- All input channels are individual boards, faders included, each in a 4-channel pack
- Subgroups are individual boards, faders included, each in a 4-channel pack
- Master Channel is an individual channel separated from all others
- Since the inception of this configuration by Trident Audio on the A-Range console in the late 1960’s it has been adopted throughout the industry and remains a standard configuration for our consoles today
- Dual inputs to the channels with line and monitor inputs
- 4-Band EQ with sweeping mid bands and selectable low and high bands
- High-quality class-A discrete preamps. These preamps have lots of headroom and high gain fully capable of driving ribbon microphones
- 60 dB gain discrete preamp
- Balanced inputs
- Balanced inserts with full bypass
- Incorporates the iconic Series 80B console EQ as the main channel EQ throughout the console. This EQ is known throughout the industry for its musicality and ease of use
- Selectable high bands at 8 and 12 kHz
- Sweepable high and low mids
- Selectable low bands at 60 and 120 Hz
- 50 Hz high-pass filter
- Selectable channel insert
- The master section is laid out for ease of use and has all the necessary features to manage your monitors, talkback, and stereo returns
- The 78’s master section is an independent channel from the rest of console to ensure that your console’s master output functions can be easily and quickly serviced with little or no downtime
- Eight subgroups
- Subgroup monitor returns
- Two mono and one stereo aux
- Subgroup stereo FX returns
- 1/8″ TRS selectable input
- On-board talkback
- Optional selectable output transformer