Designed primarily for the ALEXA Mini, but compatible with cameras such as the RED DSMC2, the Beachtek DXA-ALEXA is a low-noise preamplifier which connects directly to your camera, capturing audio through its transformer-balanced inputs and obviates the need for external syncing. The preamp itself sports a 100 dB dynamic range, and the construction of its inputs ensure galvanic isolation, as well as high common mode rejection in the face of common obstacles, such as electromagnetic interference.
The DXA-ALEXA provides dual gain controls which are detented for precise settings, as well as high/low switches for microphone matching, switchable 48V phantom power for condenser mics, and easy-to-read LED level indicators which give you a good picture of your overall sound; green signifies a level between -40 and +16 dBu, yellow takes you all the way to +4, and red gives you an indication of overs.
A carbon fiber chassis is relatively lightweight at under a pound, while weather-resistant top-panel switches ensure reliability in wide variety of conditions. For outputs, the DXA-ALEXA gives you a balanced 5-pin XLR output that can connect directly to 5-pin LEMO inputs. You can also route signal to other recorders by means of an unbalanced 3.5mm jack. Connections are provided for headphone and loopback monitoring as well. The preamp itself draws power from your existing rig by means of a 2-pin LEMO connection. Thanks to the preamp’s three threaded 1/4"-20 holes, you can mount this unit on the rails of third-party brackets, though a bracket has been included for mounting to camera cages, such as the ARRI ALEXA Mini camera cage.
Key Performance Features
- Records audio directly to camera, obviating the need for syncing
- 100 dB dynamic range, low-noise operation
- Headphone monitoring and loopback monitor for external devices
- Green, yellow, and red level indicators built-in for quick, overall level monitoring
- 48V phantom power offered on both inputs
- Transformer-balanced inputs provide galvanic isolation and high common mode rejection
- Dual mono recording or stereo recording
- Audio bracketing feature for backup
- 5-pin XLR 4 dBu line-level output matched to line-level input of camera
- High and Low switches for gain to match microphones
- Auxiliary unbalanced microphone output for attaching an audio recorder (suitable for MP3 transcription or backup)
Key Physical Features
- Rugged chassis, easy operation
- Locking Neutrik XLR connectors
- Water-resistant top-panel switches
- Detented level controls for precise adjustments and recall
- Power switch provided on operator side, other controls situated on top and assistant side when situated in rear-rod mount position
- Multiple mounting options, with mounting bracket included